Author Topic: i have a phd in Doing Dumb Things  (Read 2625 times)

i have a phd in Doing Dumb Things
also known as "halp im broked it again"

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Re: i have a phd in Doing Dumb Things
You should probably explain what the problem is and when it happens, not just blindly throw up a log and hope for the best.
Potato!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ugh. Does this crash happen even when you're not using a debug build? Where and when?

You should probably explain what the problem is and when it happens, not just blindly throw up a log and hope for the best.

there've been numerous different points that it's crashed so far for me, and triaging it myself has only seemed to change the crash point to different spots. random hostility duly noted tho

crash at the moment is occuring when i'm loading into the missions; usually if i get a popup or two about an error i just continue, but it if goes further than 3 i'll close it out and see if i can figure it out myself. crash also occurs at different points if i use different builds; 3_7_2 crashes at title screen, 3_7_3_sse seems to grind to a halt entering the campaign, so on and so forth. one part of me wonders if i have files allocated improperly, but that'd strike me as kind of strange since i used to fso installer with the campaign and everything.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You shouldn't ever get any error popups when playing in a release build. Are you playing on the nightly build that's linked in the Blue Planet release thread? Are you playing using a release, not a debug, build?

i've tried on some of both, including using some older builds (3_7_0_rc2 for instance), not a lot of progress. current builds i'm sitting on that i can use:

fs2_open_3_7_2
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG
fs2_open_3_7_2-no-SSE
fs2_open_3_7_2-no-SSE-DEBUG
fs2_open_3_7_2-SSE
fs2_open_3_7_2-SSE-DEBUG
fs2_open_3_7_2-WIN9X
fs2_open_3_7_2-WIN9X-DEBUG
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE_20151103_0ea25e7
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE_20151103_0ea25e7-DEBUG
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151103_0ea25e7
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151103_0ea25e7-DEBUG

i can try any of these and post results if you think it would help

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Blue Planet won't run with 3.7.2.

You should try using this guy:

fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151103_0ea25e7

If it doesn't work switch to debug and post a log.

running that build's doing the same thing other builds did in that it seems to simply hang up and die while trying to load the campaign; what i assume is the load bar basically never moves and as soon as i click anywhere or alt tab or otherwise windows tells me the client has crashed and i cry

possibly related note: i'm not sure if this is something intentional or otherwise, but trying to switch between campaigns is having some strange effects. ex: load in on a pilot currently in the vanilla campaign, get an error about wrong campaign. expected. if i try to load into age of aquarius, it gives me an angry beep and won't select a campaign. same happens with any of the other campaign options. however, if i press escape, it loads age of aquarius. ??????????? is there maybe some internal checklist i wasn't aware of that dictates x campaign be finished before you're able to load into another campaign, or have i created another Idiots Greatest Hits mystery

current debug log enclosed

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's not crashing, it's just caching models. Let it sit a while.

Make a new pilot file.

well letting it sit and do its thing did help; awkward. just took a lot longer than previous builds did and it made me curious, go figure. still getting errors though, apparently the temeraire doesn't have firing points assigned to an obscene number of its turrets (sense dictates to me this could be because the first mission of AoA is a brawl-less in game cutscene so it doesn't need it and the errors are just the debugger doing it's job, but i don't know anything about how the scp operates haha)

log enclosed

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are you still getting any problems on release builds, though? You can safely ignore those errors, they won't bother you.

things seem to be working; go figure the answer was to stare at the loadscreen long until the problem went away

issue seems to be that things are just taking an extremely long time to load for me, and whenever bigger assets are in game everything is really choppy. probably hardware limitations on my part though, computer is getting up there in age

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Turn off shadows in the launcher, get rid of the advanced VPs if you haven't already.

2 missions deep and a lot of it is gone, seems things are all in working order now. much appreciated for the assist!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Have fun!