Author Topic: GTC Fenris in Minecraft  (Read 82509 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
GTC Fenris in Minecraft
Ok guys, I need an area on the server that's at least 253 x 70 x 123 (length x width x height) to build in. :D

[attachment deleted by ninja, yet re-attached by the Sand-bot!]

[attachment deleted by ninja, yet now re-added permanently as an external image!]

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:35:17 pm by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Shade

Re: GTC Fenris in Minecraft
That's awesome :D That's gonna need one hell of a pit, though... probably should rope in one of the server ops or you'll be digging for the rest of the month :P
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well, it does indeed stretch from bedrock to the sky ceiling (and that's with some of the bottom fin, the bottom turret, and the top radar assembly omitted), but I figure it's only the narrow parts that go down that far. The blue/green background in the image is where the ocean level would be in MC (lvl 64), so there's actually not a ridiculous amount below ground. :D

EDIT: I should probably mention that that is a recreation of the model from the game files, with all the vertices manually "snapped" to the nearest whole meter. :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:03:48 pm by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
You guys may as well been chatting in martian and I wouldn't know the difference...
Ok guys, I need an area on the server that's at least 253 x 70 x 123 (length x width x height) to build in. :D
You maybe could use the tnt hole.

Offline Shade

Nowhere near big enough. For comparison, my hedge maze is 52x52 blocks, so the area he needs is essentially ~5 of those lined. Or, for another comparison, the length is only a bit shorter than qazwsx's new bridge. In short, it's mindbogglingly huge... and I can't wait to see what comes of it :D
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Nowhere near big enough. For comparison, my hedge maze is 52x52 blocks, so the area he needs is essentially ~5 of those lined. Or, for another comparison, the length is only a bit shorter than qazwsx's new bridge. In short, it's mindbogglingly huge... and I can't wait to see what comes of it :D
Please let it not be made outa cobble. XD
Could be turned into a community project if Sandwich gets tired of building it himself.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Size of my bridge? O_o holy **** that's big...
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Please let it not be made outa cobble. XD

Not cobble, no... look at the pics of the Fenris/Leviathan:

...looks like it'll need to be mainly smoothstone. We can use cobble for the darker areas (presuming nobody wants to cheat by building out of bedrock...) - or perhaps one of the darker gray wools? :D

Could be turned into a community project if Sandwich gets tired of building it himself.

I was kinda sorta counting on that. :p I think what I'll do is create schematics for each "deck" ( = 3m of passageway + 1m of floor/ceiling), similar to what that guy did for the Ent-D. There's "only" 30 decks, so it shouldn't be all that hard. Except in our case, we'll be following the schematics by hand, not importing them wholesale. :D

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Currently I don't have any big projects going on, so if you need a hand for anything when you see me on the server, tell me.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Currently I don't have any big projects going on, so if you need a hand for anything when you see me on the server, tell me.
Well, if you could scout out a location, that'd be great. You probably know the area way better than I do. Ideally I'd like it within sight of that huge sandstone tower w/ viewing platform, but I'd be surprised if there actually is room anywhere nearby. :p

Perhaps the ops could get us an overhead map...?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
We have a Dynamic Map already for that. Link is on the server site. http://rhx123.atbh.us/minecraftserver/

Within sight of that tower might be a bit awkward cause there's already lots of stuff around there. Might need to ask a op to clear out an area. Towers with viewing platforms can always be added later. :nod:

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
speaking of the dynamic map it seems to be down or something because all i get is an error about cannot retrieve data
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
We have a Dynamic Map already for that. Link is on the server site. http://rhx123.atbh.us/minecraftserver/

Within sight of that tower might be a bit awkward cause there's already lots of stuff around there. Might need to ask a op to clear out an area. Towers with viewing platforms can always be added later. :nod:

That dynamic map is cool - it even works on my Android browser!

If you're in Chrome or Firefox, you can install the Web Developer Toolbar, which will give you a useful tool called the Ruler. With it, you can outline an area to measure how big it is. Inversely, you can draw the ruler rectangle (on the server map) to be the size of the Fenris (253px x 70px at the default 1:1 zoom level), and then drag the ruler around to find a good spot for it.

It just fits alongside the bridge... :p

[attachment deleted by ninja, but replacement image URL inserted instead by the Sand-bot!]

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:04:57 pm by Sandwich »

It just fits alongside the bridge... :p

Be sure to check the cave view of the area.  Hound's catacombs may have sprawled out in that direction.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I don't think beside the bridge would be the best of places XD
speaking of the dynamic map it seems to be down or something because all i get is an error about cannot retrieve data
Refreshing your browser sometimes helps.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, so I finally finished preparing the top-down graphic files for the Fenris. They're 1px : 1m scale, and are numbered from the bottom up (0, 1, 2 ... 31). There are 31 levels. Each level is 1 meter thick. There are 3 meters in between levels, resulting in a level every 4 meters (side view):

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

You could generally consider these as corresponding to internal decks, which they essentially do. However, I have a feeling that the decks will be vastly different in some areas - but that's for the future.

The exception to the spacing is levels 0 & 1: level 0 is the very bottom-most level (built on top of the highest bedrock layer), while level 1 is only 1 meter above that:

XXXXXXXXXXXXX   <-- Level 2
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
XXXXXXXXXXXXX   <-- Level 1
[ ]
XXXXXXXXXXXXX   <-- Level 0
XXXXXXXXXXXXX   <-- Top Bedrock layer

Occasionally, I included in-between levels, named the level below them + how many meters above that level they are. I did this to show horizontal surfaces that appeared in-between levels. For example, there are files for level 24, level 24+2, level 24+3, and level 25. Stacked, they would look like this (side view again):

XXXXXXXXXXXXX   <-- Level 25
[ ]             <-- Level 24+3
[ ]             <-- Level 24+2
[ ]
XXXXXXXXXXXXX   <-- Level 24

I also included a centerline side view. I think it should be the first thing constructed so that the levels all match up.

Anyway, before anything else, we need a location. Over water is probably not the best since removing the water from the area would be a royal PITA. Any other location recommendations?

[attachment deleted by ninja, but replacement URL provided by your friendly neighborhood Sand-bot!]

http://staff.hard-light.net/sandwich/minecraft/fenris-project/fenris levels for minecraft.zip
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:06:43 pm by Sandwich »

Offline Shade

I do have one, actually, and it's over water. But removing water is no PITA at all (not even a common, non-royal one) when you can call on a server op to do the hard work... which we can :D

Dynmap isn't working for me right now, but once that is back I'll grab a screenshot with my suggestion. It's off on the western side of the great northbound railroad, though. So it is a ways from any major civilization, but easy to get to (due to the railroad), plus I'm thinking that it would be pretty cool to see that huge Fenris sail by while you're going along the tracks.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Dynmap isn't working for me right now, but once that is back I'll grab a screenshot with my suggestion. It's off on the western side of the great northbound railroad, though. So it is a ways from any major civilization, but easy to get to (due to the railroad), plus I'm thinking that it would be pretty cool to see that huge Fenris sail by while you're going along the tracks.

Sounds good! IIRC that area is near the desert as well, so we'd have access to plenty of glass for windows and whatnot.

Size of my bridge? O_o holy **** that's big...

Here's a few neat pics that bring home the utter crap sense of scale in FS/FS2: http://wiki.freespacegalaxy.de/doku.php?id=groessenvergleiche

Offline Lester

Here's a few neat pics that bring home the utter crap sense of scale in FS/FS2: http://wiki.freespacegalaxy.de/doku.php?id=groessenvergleiche
  :eek2:

Consider my mind blown.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
yer seeing them first time is always eye opening, I think it's why they keep being dragged up despite being around for ages
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art