Author Topic: File sharing across network via Vista network drives  (Read 1226 times)

File sharing across network via Vista network drives
Ok what am I doing wrong?  I've mapped a network drive (on my local internal network) to autologin on startup, but vista keeps complaining that it can't connect to the resource.  This worked perfectly before in 2003. I have to go in explorer and open the folder (it asks me for the password) to get the mapped drive to work properly.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Inquisitor

Re: File sharing across network via Vista network drives
There is some trick to convince Vista to let you do that, my friend had to call support (Dell) to figure it out.

If I remember, I'll ask him.
No signature.

Awwww yuck. Microsoft stupid backup and restore doesn't work with network shares, what heck is it good for then? LOL

double yuck, in fact it's utterly useless, you can't pick and choose what you want backed up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:52:51 pm by Scooby_Doo »

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Found the answer to both problems....

First the network share:

net use Y: "\\192.168.1.3\Old Programs"   **********
net use z: "\\192.1681.3.\Old Data" ********

no more complaining about not being able to reconnect

For the second, screw vistas crappy backup,
Installing Windows XP Ntbackup on Windows Vista:  http://www.petri.co.il/installing_windows_xp_ntbackup_on_windows_vista.htm