Author Topic: Firefly mobile MMO launching 2014  (Read 2902 times)

Firefly mobile MMO launching 2014
Sweet jesus.

Personally, I was hoping that Firefly would never succumb to a video game adaptation...but, *shrug*
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: Firefly mobile MMO launching 2014

Offline Luis Dias

ahahahahahahaha

MOBILE

ahahahahahahahah

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Firefly MMO, Interesting, lots of scope in the franchise to make a really open but detailed world that dosn't destroy anything done so far

Firefly mobile MMO, please kill me now they just destroyed any faint glimmer of hope that this franchise might see a revival

Firefly iOS mobile MMO, please, no, just no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Wasn't the series pretty much dead anyway? I don't think this is as bad as it seems.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Wasn't the series pretty much dead anyway? I don't think this is as bad as it seems.

as a TV series, probably, Serenity was a last ditch attempt to revive the series but come on why the hell a mobile mmo, give the world a fully fledged mmo based on the franchise and you have a good potential for a gem with a chance in what is a very saturated market with avenues to explore a colourful world with a many shades of grey morality, a good mix of known locations and potential new ones to explore without even touching what is already told.

instead from what i understand of this is that you are going to be stuck as a ship captain so probably little in the way of planetside exploration and everything done with generic menus missing out on what actually made the franchise great in the first place.  dont get me wrong it will probably be visually well executed and slick to play but I cant get away from the feeling that underneath it all the game will probably be very limited compared to what It could be as a fully fledged MMO on the PC or the consoles
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Given that it's a mobile memorpuger, it's probably just going to be a shameless money-grab scheme stuffed full of microtransactions up the arse.

I have a friend who's big into filmaking vehemently insist that there is a new Firefly TV series coming out in the next few years. I have no reason to believe him, since if there was even the slightest credible rumour or leak of such the fanbase would explode.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

as a TV series, probably, Serenity was a last ditch attempt to revive the series

Negative.  Serenity was the unfortunately rushed attempt to resolve the series.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

as a TV series, probably, Serenity was a last ditch attempt to revive the series

Negative.  Serenity was the unfortunately rushed attempt to resolve the series.

looks like I will need to rewatch the commentaries on my copy this weekend in that case, 'cause I am sure it is mentioned in there that it was an attempt to revive interest in developing a new series

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
MOBILE "game?"

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Seems like some of us have a serious hate for mobile games.

I figured that since it's gonna be non-canon anyway (like how BSG Online was non-canon), what's the harm? At worst, we can ignore a bad game. At best, we get to see how everything else in the universe might run. I just want to be in something other than a Firefly if the game is released.

Headdie's first line said it best for me:

Firefly MMO, Interesting, lots of scope in the franchise to make a really open but detailed world that dosn't destroy anything done so far

e: The alternative would probably be a browser-based game. Would that be any better? I miss "playing" those browser-based, text-based, turn/hour-based RPGs.

Wait...you mean he wasn't being sarcastic? :nervous:

If a crappy mobile game gets released based on a franchise, it proves that the franchise is essentially dead, since any effort made that could have been put into something of better quality like a movie or TV show is wasted on a dollar app.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Indeed. MMOs are bad enough, but a mobile MMO? I think I'll pass. If they made a proper game, on a proper platform (PC, that is :) ), with an actual storyline, I could've been interested, but that's just milking the franchise for money.

I have yet to see a video game based on a TV franchise that didn't suck.

Present company excepted. ;)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Perfect opportunity to make a Walking Dead-esque game series (Short chapters released for 5$ or so) on Steam. What a waste.

Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline newman

Serenity was a last ditch attempt to revive the series ...

No. When series was canceled there was a huge effort by the fans - petitions and whatnot - and partly as a result of that the funding was barely found to make some kind of a conclusion to the Firefly story. Whedon himself said that Serenity is basically season 2 and concludes the story. It was never made with hopes of it spawning another season. You can see that clearly in Serenity's plot as well.

That being said, a RPG in the venue of Mass Effect, done right, and in Firefly universe, I'd find interesting. A firefly based mmo I'd have to see some very positive reviews first. MMO for mobile devices though.. no interest whatsoever :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You mean these abominations?

Yes, that series. You know, the one that is rather widely regarded as a massive step forward for the point-and-click adventure genre. The one that has a rather positive reception overall.

I mean, I understand that this isn't a game for everybody, but making those is incredibly hard anyway. Better to make a game that appeals massively to some than one that gets a meh from everyone.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

I regard Walking Dead as a really good game actually.

You know Xcom Enemy Unknown is on mobile devices and is allegedly pretty much the exact same game (on tablets).
So just because it's mobile doesn't mean it'll be angry birds or some ****