Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269222 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
why not just run a virtual machine.... seems an easier route to go.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
why not just run a virtual machine.... seems an easier route to go.

Because the game needs a decent 3D accelerator, and most virtual machine environments don't offer those.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline LHN91

Mech 3 can run in software render mode, looks like hell, but I can't see why it wouldn't run in a VM that way. I'll have to give it a shot later and see how it goes.

Offline LHN91

SO... no go so far on MW3 in a VM, at least in VirtualBox. Have heard some reports that Microsoft' s Virtual PC emulates an old S3 Trio that I know can run MW3 as I've used it before, so that may be an option.

Offline Enzo03

I managed to simply install MW3 on my computer (Win7 Home Premium x64) and run it no problem, with the exception of music problems because the disc is a little scratched.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to show any way of how to do it since I just installed it normally.  Might be able to record it or something if I ever have time.
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline LHN91

Are you running an Nvidia card? or an older Intel integrated chip? because it is far more likely to just work on those chips in my experience, while ATI cards have all kinda of fun glitches

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I managed to simply install MW3 on my computer (Win7 Home Premium x64) and run it no problem,

I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to show any way of how to do it since I just installed it normally.
How the ****.
What. Is this. I don't even.

Offline LHN91

It tries on my C-50 based laptop running 7 64bit. Everything runs fine, it just renders wierd; mostly the screen not clearing properly, probably some optimization I need to disable. On my old Radeon 4670 it did all kinds of fun physics things, like several hundred foot high APC bounces.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I managed to simply install MW3 on my computer (Win7 Home Premium x64) and run it no problem, with the exception of music problems because the disc is a little scratched.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to show any way of how to do it since I just installed it normally.  Might be able to record it or something if I ever have time.

This should absolutely not have worked.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Enzo, we must confiscate your computer and examine it THOROUGHLY. For the sake of MW fans everywhere!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline LHN91

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, AMD C-50 Processor with Radeon 6250 graphics. Installs normally, launches normally, seems to cooperate up until you get in-game.

This is what it does. It is playable, and I may be able to get this working if I mess around with some settings as it kinda looks like some AMD optimizations might be getting in the way.

Offline Kszyhu

It's not a problem with graphical settings, MW3 looks like that on all newer Radeons, and that's unavoidable (unless you use software renderer).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:06:56 am by Kszyhu »

Offline LHN91

And software render does funny things on modern systems. Mostly bouncy vehicles. Falling back to the onboard Nvidia 7000 series on my desktop (7 professional 64bit, Athlon II x4) lets it run more or less flawlessly on there. Couple of grey screen crashes, but that used to happen to me all the time on my old Win95 box that was only just above minimum spec.

Perhaps try using a 3DFX emulator?

Offline LHN91

MW3 is a DX6.1 hardware accelerated game only, with a software rendering backup. No 3Dfx or OpenGL. Makes sense as Microsoft had a hand in the development.

Offline Patriot

I'd like a little help to getting MW3 to launch, have an ATI(ASUS produced) card, run on XP SP3

Offline LHN91

May very well be a lost cause. Any modern ATI card causes the glitches I showed earlier on, and in my experience xp is the most annoying OS to get Mw3 working on. When it tells you it incompatible, click continue. If it doesn't work try swapping compatibility modes. That said, no guarantees due to the ATI card.

Offline Patriot

EDIT: Got it running now, had to turn the special text thing off and no themes, Win98/Me compat mode.

Not sure if a 256 color mode will help against the giant artefacts
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:28:53 pm by Patriot »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
MW3 is a DX6.1 hardware accelerated game only, with a software rendering backup. No 3Dfx or OpenGL. Makes sense as Microsoft had a hand in the development.

directx of doom. seriously that has got to be the worst version of directx ever. considering the number of older glide and opengl based games i can still play, and comparing them to my collection of newer dx6 games, the former still run bug free for the most part, while the latter dont even run at all, and if they do run its bugs bugs bugs. its actually sad that i have less trouble with glide games, because that api isnt even supported anymore except through 3rd party wrappers.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I tried to get a Glide API to play nice with an old PC game called Glover I grabbed at a used book sale, but I don't think it ever managed to recognize the wrapper properly.  I should try fooling around with it again.