Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269258 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its trickey to make work. but i play mechwarrior 2 and carmageddon 2 under glide and neither one has any graphics problems.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Patriot

Dragon confirmed

Offline Enzo03

To answer people's questions, beyond all logic I indeed use an ATI card - A Radeon HD4200 Mobility (I forget the word order but that's what it is).

Since this is likely hard to believe, maybe during the course of the week I'll have time to record a video of myself installing MW3 from scratch and patching it and all, then playing it.  At bare minimum I'll just start Mechwarrior 3 and play it.

Hopefully I can actually remember that I posted this.

But my biggest problem is finding a decent screen recorder:
-Fraps sucks.
-Hypercam might be doable but it generally sucks.
-CamStudio SUCKS.
-I know there are others but I need a free one that can actually do what it says on the tin without throwing a fit or doing a piss-poor job.
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i got mw3 (no not that mw3 you ****head!) to work on my main rig, unfortunately it doesnt like my wide screen resolution. running 4:3 aspect games on a 16:9 gives me really bad nausea (im getting old, lol) and so its unplayable. my upstasirs junk computer sort of runs it on its integrated intel graphics gpu. instant action works just fine, but starting the campaign crashes the game. so im not really gonna be able to play mw3 till i get a 98 install on that junk rig.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
envo - try finding Debut Video Capture, an old copy. The newer ones were junk. MP4 mode worked the best.
Failing that... use a camera, camera phone, whatever... aimed at the screen.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Enzo03

Who in the world is envo?  Sounds like a total jackass.

If it is not free then it is no go.  I had a full version of FRAPs though - which disappointed me spectacularly when it failed to record anything at a framerate of any more than 5 fps no matter what I set it to.  CamStudio and its other various forms are much, much worse.  The best I've ever had was Growler Guncam Demo Version which recorded stuff like my Mechwarrior 4 video flawlessly at 800x600 at a decent framerate and without slowing down, on an old computer.  But I never could buy a full version.  Now I can't because buying online is simply off limits to me.

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
You need two hard drives (or an SSD), a decent CPU with more cores than the game uses (efficiently; as in you have a core free that's at 0-20%), and a good amount of RAM at a decent speed.  A good video card helps, but does not affect FRAPS specifically but rather raises the framerate you're being reduced from in the first place.

With an overclocked i5 2500K, 8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM, and a large storage drive + Crucial M4 SSD, FRAPS has a very small hit on the framerate.  Depending on the game, the impact can be 0-50%, but the average case is more like 15%.

Better option that doesn't use FRAPS but still costs as much as an upgrade:

Get some equipment to split the output signal from your card (easier if your card has two+ outputs) and directly record it to a separate hard drive with that equipment.  No framerate impact whatsoever, and perfect recording quality.  But it costs quite a lot.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:54:14 am by Dark RevenantX »

Offline Enzo03

Wow, I just said that if it is not free then I'm not doing it and you pretty much ignored me on that one.

An "upgrade" in my case would be a new computer altogether.

Meanwhile, I managed to snag Growler Guncam and have no recording problems.

Gonna have to play around with the settings.

EDIT: I had some problems getting MW3 to run properly, but it turns out there is some weird bug having to do with having your computer on for a long time (I would often put it in sleep/hibernate as opposed to actually shutting it off, just for convenience's sake).  This causes jump jets and zoom and other controls to stutter, along with the rest of the game.  So I restarted my computer.  Runs like a charm.  Before I tried this, I even went as far as updating graphics drivers.  So I still have no problems even with the latest Catalyst drivers.  The only problem I do have is one I had with an old laptop with WinXP (that doesn't work anymore), which has to do with some of the functions that can be toggled, such as the torso twist - freelook toggle.  Occasionally it gets stuck in freelook and I have to hold the control down just to be able to twist my torso (which is a bother unless piloting the Nova, I forget what its IS name is).  So basically it looks and plays just like it has looked and played for me all the time, save the weird toggle bug.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:38:39 pm by Enzo03 »

Offline LHN91

Nova = Black Hawk. Also, I've tried it on several AMD cards and still get that same corruption I posted earlier. Is it possible you have an old enough card that it handles DirectX6.1 reasonably well?

Offline Enzo03

Perhaps that is the case.

I have yet to try out the Pirate's Moon EP, which I have.

I read that Pirate's Moon uses DX7.

Also, a post on my facebook regarding the video I promised:
>Record a long PC gameplay video
>wait for video to export
>mfw all audio was recorded from mic, not from speakers: http://www.myfacewhen.com/images/133.jpg

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Relevant bump!

My main role on MechWarrior® Online™ is the injection of the F2P development model into this well-defined franchise.  My experience in the F2P market comes from in-depth research and discussions with a key group of people at Nexon.  It was here that I realized the nuances between the Asian F2P consumer and the North American F2P consumer had different expectations.  I wrote a ‘thesis’ (for lack of a better word) on how F2P works and what motivates a player to play these types of games.
Anyone who hesitated with the F2P MMOs feel like giving this one a shot? The MWO team seems invested in avoiding Pay-to-Win in the Q&A.

In other news: Critter-Tek

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I still want a campaign. :blah:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Yup, still not interested in pay to win crap.  I want Mechwarrior 5, not this ****.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Yup, still not interested in pay to win crap.  I want Mechwarrior 5, not this ****.
Well, tough crap.  You're getting MechWarrior Online.

As to the actual game itself, I'm looking forwards to MWO, if only because it is a new MechWarrior game, and if it does well, maybe a publisher will front the cash for a single-player MechWarrior game with an actual campaign.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Patriot

Yeah this game, provided it rises to the top, could really reboot the franchise as a whole.

Offline Enzo03

I probably won't be playing it.

I tried messing around with CryEngine 3 SDK.  I loaded the Forest level that comes with it and..

well.. it runs... I can tell what things are going on...

...it just doesn't run... acceptably.  10 FPS isn't acceptable.  Time for a new computer...too bad that costs $$$, something which I sorely lack.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hmm.  If 10 FPS isn't acceptable, I've been playing World of Tanks at unacceptable framerates for eight months.

Offline Enzo03

Well really it's more like this:

The FPS counter says I have 10.

I'm not getting 10.

There are other games where when the FPS counter says 10, it means 10.

Not 4.

Probably should have elaborated but I've been kinda dazed all day.

edit: and now I'm overexaggerating.  It's probably more than a measly four.  But it is bad, and worse than the FPS counter says.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
At the very least, I'm glad that we're going to get a new mechwarrior game at all to begin with after so many years of nothing, hopefully with a lot of people playing MWO things will pick up and a MW5 or MC3, whatever might follow.

I know this might derail the thread a bit but does anyone know if modding the MW4 games are particularly difficult? I always wondered why with such a huge fan base next to nothing was done on MW4. Yeah, I know about Mektek, my point is that that is the only thing made for it, there's nothing else. Isnt there a mission editor for MW4? That game could surely use something akin FSOpen.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
There is a mission editor, though I'm not sure how robust it is. I get the feeling the MW modding community is mostly focused on multi. Maybe the tools for good user-made campaigns just aren't there, but I think it's more of a lack of will.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."