Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269228 times)

Yes.  BattleMechs are Walking Tanks and as such can take and dish out a significant beating.  Being a super-awesome protagonist just means your 'Mech takes less of a beating rather than you emerging unscathed in your unbeatable Gundam with a trail of exploded mecha behind you.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Al-Rik

So no vibro-axes to slice enemy armor like butter?  :sadface:
At least not in the Online-Game, and if some day added as feature they will IMHO used like any other weapon: Point & Pull the triggers.

Thats the way they are played in the Boardgame:  For the target no way to block or doge, and quite powerfull:
The Hatchetmans Axe deals 9 Points of damage in the Boardgame, that is almost as much a the 10 points of damage a PPC does.
The most common weapons deal only 5 Points ( Medium Laser ) or 2 Points ( Short Range Missile ), Heavy Weapons like Large Lasers or AC 10 do only 8 or 10 Points of damage.
The 9 Points are enough to chop a light Mechs head of...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Looking at the Trebuchet's hand, I just realised that, before exchanging fire, one could give the enemy the finger.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
There's an example of an Atlas floating around somewhere that is actually flipping some poor Stinger the bird as the heavy caliber autocannon shreds the Stinger.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
There are some vibroswords, but "like butter" applies to absolutely nothing in Battletech unless you're talking about Heavy Gauss slug connecting with underarmored Light 'Mech.
I think I remember assassins with vibroswords killing guards by slicing through them like butter. Different topic altogether.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
sounds like a Star Wars EU
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I think I remember assassins with vibroswords killing guards by slicing through them like butter. Different topic altogether.

There aren't any vibroweapons, except possibly on Solaris 7 where they're a 'Mech-to-'Mech gimmick. (And usually don't work.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I was talking about infantries.

So was I. They haven't made it work in the multi-ton weight class with the near-unlimited power of a fusion reactor yet, what makes you think the man-portable version does?  :p

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I fail to see what's so hard about making a blade vibrate. :P

On multi-ton frames, this seems exponentially more difficult than the hand-held version.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I fail to see what's so hard about making a blade vibrate. :P

On multi-ton frames, this seems exponentially more difficult than the hand-held version.

the issue is getting the blade to vibrate at a frequency that will make a difference while not destroying the blade in the process and not generating so much heat as to melt everything.

the scale makes a significant difference because the greater mass take more energy to vibrate, so generating massive amounts of heat and the vibration transmitted though the handle has to be small enough not to shake the mech to bits
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Vibroblade
Hopefully that settles it.  Yes, vibroblades exist, mainly as infantry weapons.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Crap, and I completely forgot about my favorite character from The Hunters having one since he's DEST.

I shall now commit suicide in shame at the memory of the Talon Sergeant.

A Feddie Story

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
So none of this?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Absolutely ****ing not.

Some units are better than others.  Some units are larger than others.  There are no super units.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
no, everything is built to the same rules, there are adjustments for designs of differing eras but no super units, just incrementally better.  The back fiction and the game rules are base don the fact that the game is designed to be player on player.  while some mechs are better generalists that other, it is because some specialize more on different aspects of combat such as sniping or close quarters.  for example in an urban environment a hunchback will murder a Trebuchet owing to the AC/20 strapped to its shoulder, while if you stick a Trebuchet on a ridge watching over somewhere with little cover and the LRMs it packs will cream the hunchback

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
What keeps mechwarrior balanced for the most part is that each mech can pretty much carry the same weaponry.
A Catapult and a Madcat both fire LRM's. It's just the amount of each weapon that a mech can carry that makes all the difference
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
And kinda the techbase.  A Timberwolf (not a Mad Cat you Inner Sphere surat) carries inherently superior LRMs by virtue of being a Clan 'Mech.  No minimum range, half the mass for the launcher.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Timber Wolf. Two words.

A Feddie Story