Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 269217 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You can apparently buy in now.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
47 euro spend on the elite package.
double the money for the legendary package seemed like a poor return in extra value to me
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
double the money for the legendary package seemed like a poor return in extra value to me

Yeah, I'll settle for the one 'Mech; it's not like I have a great attachment to any of these designs.

Maybe if they'd been a Phoenix Hawk, Stalker, Ostsol/Thunderbolt, and a Panther I would have had trouble choosing, but...

A Feddie Story

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Ok I played a tiny bit back when MW: Mercs was new... had the Xbox Mech Assaults, read some of the books,
played some of the Genesis era games, beta'd some of MWLL, but other than dips in and out of the MW universe over the years... I are noob.

Of the four mechs they are offering, what would be the advantages to picking one over the other? Or should we care since this is a progressive
universe and in X amount of game/real time those mechs will be outdated compared to newer units?
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You can get all of these mechs by playing the game normally too. So its not like you are missing out on any of them if you don't buy them with real money right now.
Each of the mechs that are being offered are of a different weight class. But they won't become outdated aaaanytime soon. The Atlas for example is already an oldtimer at the time frame MWO will take place and it will continue to serve many many more years.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
universe and in X amount of game/real time those mechs will be outdated compared to newer units?

Realistically speaking this is probably not a concern. Technology in the setting has not yet begun to advance dramatically and the setting was good about providing older machines upgrade options to keep them competitive. We are only about a year in game terms from the Clan invasion and the mass rollout of lostech to try and fight them, but this will mostly mean 'Mechs that are upgraded rather than replaced.

And even then, the difference between an AS7-K and an AS7-D is not an insurmountable one.

A Feddie Story

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

The game's not even out, and I've already nicknamed my mech the Hunchander.  Suffice to say, one of my favorite Inner Sphere mechs falls a touch outside of the 3049 timeframe during which MWO will be set on launch.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
So are these walking tanks or mecha...

I was never clear, because in MechCommander(my only reference) they seem to be walking tanks, which suggests the lack of dexterity required to effectively melee fight like, say, a Gundam or Voltron or something.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Battle tech is more in line with walking tanks.  The melee aspects is more about walk up to the opponent and hit them, and while some mechs like the Hatchet man have melee weapons as their signature, they are few and far between when compared to mechs using an all gun load out, and melee is about DFA and kicking (some mechs have hands so can punch)
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
They're walking tanks, bar none except perhaps the Spider or one of the scout 'Mechs with Improved Jump Jets.

Relevant videos:
MechWarrior 3 intro
MechWarrior 4 intro
MechWarrior 4 Mercs intro

Walking tanks like nobody's business.  These ain't your anime ballerina mechs.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
They're walking tanks, bar none except perhaps the Spider or one of the scout 'Mechs with Improved Jump Jets.

Relevant videos:
MechWarrior 3 intro
MechWarrior 4 intro
MechWarrior 4 Mercs intro

Walking tanks like nobody's business.  These ain't your anime ballerina mechs.

Atlas, Hauptmann or Summoner leaping and spinning about would be serious lol
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, the Summoner mounts jump jets on the base chassis, and the Hauptmanm can just pod them in, so they can at least leave the ground if they want to. :P

The Atlas is pretty much stuck dirtside though.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I was never clear, because in MechCommander(my only reference) they seem to be walking tanks, which suggests the lack of dexterity required to effectively melee fight like, say, a Gundam or Voltron or something.

BattleMechs can and do engage in melee combat, but it's not remotely graceful, merely the application of multi-ton appendages as giant clubs. Even the axe and sword options (the latter of which hasn't been developed yet and doesn't appear until 3057 or so) are really just specialized clubs rather than serious cutting implements, and it's pretty much implied they're worked like any other weapon: center the target in the reticule, pull the trigger, computer arranges to bash enemy.

So it's sort of a Walking Tanks Plus, but very far from the traditional motion capture mecha.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:14:35 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Well, the Summoner mounts jump jets on the base chassis, and the Hauptmanm can just pod them in, so they can at least leave the ground if they want to. :P

True, but it is not exactly graceful though lol

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

AS7-K3 mounts jets. not exactly common, but whatever. :p

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
BattleMech 13 announced: Trebuchet

12 'Mech rumor officially dispelled.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
BattleMech 13 announced: Trebuchet

12 'Mech rumor officially dispelled.

Oh goddammit why couldn't that be my Founders?

A Feddie Story

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action

BattleMechs can and do engage in melee combat, but it's not remotely graceful, merely the application of multi-ton appendages as giant clubs. Even the axe and sword options (the latter of which hasn't been developed yet and doesn't appear until 3057 or so) are really just specialized clubs rather than serious cutting implements, and it's pretty much implied they're worked like any other weapon: center the target in the reticule, pull the trigger, computer arranges to bash enemy.

So it's sort of a Walking Tanks Plus, but very far from the traditional motion capture mecha.
So no vibro-axes to slice enemy armor like butter?  :sadface:
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
There are some vibroswords, but "like butter" applies to absolutely nothing in Battletech unless you're talking about Heavy Gauss slug connecting with underarmored Light 'Mech.