Author Topic: Thoughts about our Soul/Sol  (Read 2107 times)

Thoughts about our Soul/Sol
Do you think life has been increased or enhanced somewhat in the time of FS? For example, what do you think the average life expectancy of someone would be in the 24th century? I believe around 140yo or so with all the medical breakthroughs. When you are 50, you have the physical abilities/appearance of someone that is 30, when you are 80, you have the physical abilities/appearance of 45, etc, so aging is decreased.

That means, if you were born in 2315, you would have been 20 during the Great War, and 52 (still having the abilities of a 30 yo) during the second Shivan encounter... What I'm saying is that we could still be the same person that we're playing in FS2 as we were in FS1... Just a thought.

Another thing I was thinking about was that wouldn't we have opened communications with Sol during our inability to use the node? Radio waves travel at the speed of light, so if a communications station was situated in the Alpha Centauri system, they could send a message that would be received 4.5 years later, and a reply in 9 years.

Another thing, everyone is making these campaigns were when we reopen the Sol jump node, they are all at war with us... Why would they do this? What could they possibly gain out of it?

------------------
'Captain' Nick Brown
Callsign: Pegasus V
E-mail:
[email protected]
m.au

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Pegasus V:
Another thing I was thinking about was that wouldn't we have opened communications with Sol during our inability to use the node? Radio waves travel at the speed of light, so if a communications station was situated in the Alpha Centauri system, they could send a message that would be received 4.5 years later, and a reply in 9 years.

Thought about that one already. Since it isn't mentioned in FS2, we must assume that it was tried and failed. It may have failed for a number of reasons, and I don't see any way that the GTVA would have been able to tell which reason was the real one. There could be heavy radiation interference that would prevent radio waves from either reaching Sol or from returning from there. Or there could simply be nobody at the other end to respond. After all, condisering how much the GTVA knows about how the Big L got into Ross 128 the first time, the Shivans might have reached Earth, destroyed all resistance, and passed on.

However, there is an alternative to radio waves. I explore that alternative in this mission and in the bit of fiction I wrote up and included in the ZIP file. Enjoy!  

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by sandwich:
After all, condisering how much the GTVA knows about how the Big L got into Ross 128 the first time, the Shivans might have reached Earth, destroyed all resistance, and passed on.

No, it is said in FS2 that the GTVA knows the lucifer is destroyed thanx to trnsmissions recorded just prior to the collapsing of the node.
SCREW CANON!

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot

Originally posted by sandwich:
this mission and in the bit of fiction I wrote up and included in the ZIP file. Enjoy!  

You forgot to add [shameless p1mp][/shameless p1mp]  

------------------
    -Director of the staff of Hidden Terror.
   -Fleet Admiral of The Ancients Armada

The fear always controls our attitude, let us fear no more!

Offline joek

• Heh heh... not funny.
    • http://www.joek.com/
Well I know I have my own [pimp]reason in my campaign[/pimp] why we haven't heard from Sol... but I did bring up the question about radio waves from Alpha Centari once before (I think over that the VBB... but we know what's become of that place).

But when I thought about it, maybe it could also be the lack of power behind the radio waves. I mean look how much power stars generate, but from Earth it's all the power we receive is just a speck of light. Maybe you can't get a good and clear radio signal across that distance with a power-supply strong enough like a star. Maybe.

Joe.

------------------
www.joek.com
Revelations: A FS2 Campaign
No, he's not back for real, just popping his head in to say "hello" while on break from classes.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
It's probably something as simple as not knowing what station to tune in to.

Of course, the better reason is secrecy.  Command doesn't want to tell the popluation the truth, whatever that might be.  It could result in chaos and revolution.  Its likely more politicaly than technological.  Besides, 4.5 years is a hell of a lag.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by venom2506:
No, it is said in FS2 that the GTVA knows the lucifer is destroyed thanx to trnsmissions recorded just prior to the collapsing of the node.

No, what I meant was that the manner in which the big L got into Ross 128 was unknown, probably an unstable jump node. Therefore, the Shivans could have reached Sol via an unstable node...

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

What about the lifespan though?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Nanomachines and genotherapy, suckas.  

I wonder how long it'll be till we can control that sort of stuff and distribute it cheaply and efficiently. I know, seems impossible/unfeasibly far away - but that's what we said about modelling for FS2, and look at what Venom and Aldo are doing...  

[This message has been edited by Setekh (edited 09-12-2001).]
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.