Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 593353 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
You see, it is not a significant difference. So I find complaints about SC cockpits unfounded, at least in contrast to Elite.

It's like I spent a few quality minutes thinking about the design of both cockpits and gave what I believe is a qualified analysis on both and you just went on and completely ignored it and cherry picked the one quantifiable point where SC is merely "slightly" worse than ED.

That's the kind of comment that makes me think, "yeah I'm glad I make thoughtful and justified comments, there's nothing like being quotemined and dismissed in a few sentences just a minute later".

Offline Luis Dias

You know what's the best DLC they can ever come up with?

A "Virtual Reality Headset" that you will place on your head and suddenly you can see the whole FOV ala FreeSpace2 with overlay information as if the ship didn't even exist.

99 bucks. 109 with custom designed logos and colors.

Offline Lorric

That means 41% of the pixels are the ship's structure (compared to 44% of Star Citizen).

You see, it is not a significant difference. So I find complaints about SC cockpits unfounded, at least in contrast to Elite. And we would have to analyze more ships to really get to the truth. Per ship cockpit variation is probably going to be high both in Elite and in SC, so it is hard to judge just from one example.
To add to what others have been saying, imagine what it would be like if the Star Citizen cockpit was clear except for a solid square in the centre.

I don't know how Luis is getting his numbers, but I can believe it. And at the same time I was really surprised at that small difference compared to how the different cockpits have made me feel. It makes me think of how you can enter a room and rearrange the items and furniture and make it appear much more spacious even though nothing has been removed from the room.

From what footage of E:D I've watched, I've never felt the cockpits to be a problem, and I don't like cockpits at the best of times. They feel open and spacious. Does that Star Citizen cockpit not bother you at all?

I will paw lovingly at the controls. Immerse me. LEt the immersion rise up over my knees and lap against my balls

Memories...

There wasn't anything extreme about the trip I went on, but there were still some pretty narrow spaces to squeeze through. We also had to wade through some cold water, and I remember one guy shouting "Argh! My balls!" Funny. I was juuuuuust tall enough to avoid this, I mean down to the millimeter. The stalactites and stalacmite formations were extremely beautiful with water glistening off them as well. We also all ended up turning off our helmet lights to experience the total darkness. But there was something wondrous about the whole experience.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's like I spent a few quality minutes thinking about the design of both cockpits and gave what I believe is a qualified analysis on both and you just went on and completely ignored it and cherry picked the one quantifiable point where SC is merely "slightly" worse than ED.

That's the kind of comment that makes me think, "yeah I'm glad I make thoughtful and justified comments, there's nothing like being quotemined and dismissed in a few sentences just a minute later".

The first refuge of people who are wrong is to cherry pick something that makes them feel like they are right. The rest of us got your point and given that this is a modding forum and we've got people who design cockpits here, it's probably very useful, but you're never going to persuade the cult of Star Citizen that they are wrong about anything.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
So on each of these pics ~half of the screen is black.

You can see the most important factor is the middle of the screen and width/size of black blocks. In SC cockpit even the middle of the canopy rises towards the middle of the screen, obscuring it, not to mention the thick bars. Horizontal canopy with carefully spaced out horizontal struts seems to work better to me.

Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Does that Star Citizen cockpit not bother you at all?

It bothers me on Merlin snub fighter, thats where the cockpit covers the middle of the screen. I doubt it will stay that way, tough. Does not bother me much on other fighters, but then I am the kind of guy who is bothered by lack of a cockpit and immediately installs cockpit mod before every FS playthrough..
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Luis Dias

Karajorma, thanks for the kind word, and Kobrar, that's an excellent, really great exercise :D

Lorric, it's fairly easy to count pixels in Photoshop, through the Histogram function.

you are the hero this thread deserves
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
After a couple weeks of back-and-forth, I've gotten my pledge from 2012 refunded in full. I wash my hands of Star Citizen now, perhaps I'll buy back in when/if they actually release.

At this point, I don't think Star Citizen is going anywhere unless CRob gets put on a shorter chain or is removed from a decision-making capacity. Saga of Freelancer, Verse 2.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

He can't get put on a shorter chain without being removed from decisionmaking capacity, and that's never going to happen with Star Citizen's sales pitch and community being built around his cult of personality.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The filled accounts say no but its nothing like what they had
companieshouse.gov.uk
Filed Documents 13 Nov 2015
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

We reading a different document?
Says Current Assetts:

Debtors: 1million or so dollars
Cash in the bank: 640K

1 million - 640K = 360K in debt no?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Missed that one thanks.

Also as a small technical point this is a formal submission to Companies House so the values will be Pounds Sterling
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
1 million - 640K = 360K in debt no?
More like million + 640k = 1640k. And this is not in debt.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The Debtors entry is listed sa "current asset", which means it's a cash or easily-converted-to-cash asset - in this context I'd say it means people owe Squadron 42 £1 million - the most likely source being the parent company or possibly delayed crowdfunding pledges.

In any case, this data is over a year old. Doesn't mean much on the right now.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
I'm sorry to go a bit out of the current subject, but the first post says

A move that, given his history with HLP, will likely come as a shock to nobody here.

What is his history with HLP? I've been a member for years, but I only ever heard of Derek for the first time this year. This got me curious and I couldn't find it in the thread.
Potato!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well this might be dredging up the past, but here you go. Specifically I'm talking about Derek Smart himself turning up and trying to argue his point of view.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:23:23 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well this might be dredging up the past, but here you go. Specifically I'm talking about Derek Smart himself turning up and trying to argue his point of view.

Loading that thread's second page caused something random to demand a password from me. You...may want to look into that.

A username and password are being requested by http://www.mr-johnson.com. The site says: "Hoy Chummer! Bevor es wei"
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam

Loading that thread's second page caused something random to demand a password from me. You...may want to look into that.

A username and password are being requested by http://www.mr-johnson.com. The site says: "Hoy Chummer! Bevor es wei"

I just had the same thing happen, using MS Edge browser.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.