Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 588964 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
who the **** actually cares how much their tables cost? it's a tiny tiny tiny fraction of their expenses and it's dangerously far into 'your crowdfunded game must be completed in squalour' levels of righteousness

If the game is completed, no one. But if they have to start cutting features or quit cause they ran out of money, then yeah it becomes a little more important.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Axem

Yeah to me, the whole furniture thing feels like it says more about the attitude of the people running the place. If I were backing a game dev studio, I'd have no issue with them buying high level, premium equipment that can get the job done better and boosts morale. Buy a $2000 desk? Sure, but it better have amazing wi-fi connected drawers, motorized height control and a 4 inch thick solid maple/marble/granite top that will support the weight of the 6 panel display mount that's also being requisitioning in.

But they bought a door with metal legs from the most absurdly overpriced place that seems to cater to set designers for pretentious magazines that detail this month's rich hipster (luckily there's only 1 a month).

I mean those desks look like something you find lying in an Ikea garbage bin.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
So yeah, reporting sexist and ****ty comments?  Ban that troll.  Making sexist and ****ty comments?  No problem.  Can't allow those goons to ruin our fun by calling out sexism.

Yeah, that's truly excellent moderation.

Reporting sexist and ****ty comments while using vulgar language? Ban that troll indeed!

Also, there were other bans handed out in that threat, lots of them for sexist comments. Making sexist comments is not tolerated on SC forums. The Female gamers group then went on with increased moderation and it all went well in the end. As I said, Star Citizen community is very welcoming to women and minorities. But not to trolls, Goon or not.

The only objective mistake committed by SC moderation in this whole incident was that a moderator handed out a 7 day ban instead of 1 day ban for first offense. A minor thing which was later corrected.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:50:11 am by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
So yeah, reporting sexist and ****ty comments?  Ban that troll.  Making sexist and ****ty comments?  No problem.  Can't allow those goons to ruin our fun by calling out sexism.

Yeah, that's truly excellent moderation.

Reporting sexist and ****ty comments while using vulgar language? Ban that troll indeed!

Also, there were other bans handed out in that threat, lots of them for sexist comments. Making sexist comments is not tolerated on SC forums. The Female gamers group then went on with increased moderation and it all went well in the end. As I said, Star Citizen community is very welcoming to women and minorities. But not to trolls, Goon or not.

The only objective mistake committed by SC moderation in this whole incident was that a moderator handed out a 7 day ban instead of 1 day ban for first offense. A minor thing which was later corrected.
Why does using god damn vulgar language matter? Are you a ****ing puritan who gets easily offended by such ****? It's another layer of language, albeit one that has a hint of frustration, but that's how that is.

The community is objectively terrible, it's a hug box that's even driven away still loyal fans of Star Citizen from both reddit and the main forums. Someone named Baragoon who **** all over a LGBT group's thread went pretty much unpunished and still actively posts. The moderation is terrible as well, Beer4thebeergod got perma banned on the forums for his very first slight against it (a single, critical post) despite being very active in the community beforehand.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Why does using god damn vulgar language matter? Are you a ****ing puritan who gets easily offended by such ****? It's another layer of language, albeit one that has a hint of frustration, but that's how that is.

The community is objectively terrible, it's a hug box that's even driven away still loyal fans of Star Citizen from both reddit and the main forums. Someone named Baragoon who **** all over a LGBT group's thread went pretty much unpunished and still actively posts. The moderation is terrible as well, Beer4thebeergod got perma banned on the forums for his very first slight against it (a single, critical post) despite being very active in the community beforehand.

The troll wasnt banned just for vulgar language itself, but using it to insult other members. Now that is a banable offense on any decent forum. That ban was deserved by any measure.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The insulting language was used in post reports. While I wouldn't want our reports here to be full of vulgarity, it is certainly understood by all moderators on this board that language used in a post report is only an issue if said report is unreadable. Everything else is unimportant, and banning people for reporting posts is not the kind of action a reasonable mod staff should ever take.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The troll wasnt banned just for vulgar language itself, but using it to insult other members. Now that is a banable offense on any decent forum. That ban was deserved by any measure.

I'm pretty sure I've been vulgar in some of my reports. I've never been banned about it. Several of those reports have been acted on.

I mean, if somebody walks up to you and declares "I'M HITLER" and whips out their swastika-tattoo'd genitalia to prove it, what kind of response beyond "holy **** what is wrong with you" and "you are a pig-ignorant asshole get ****ed" is even possible for most people?

We've had some pretty horrifying things said in GenDisc before here and the outpouring of horror has been unfeigned and usually unmoderated because what else are people going to do?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Are you serious? No decent forum will ban people because they used any language to insult other members. What's the difference between calling someone an idiot or a '****ing idiot'? Internet discussions are pretty normal and so is 'vulgar' language, you don't just hand out bans for that.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

i remember seeing the SA thread from when lauresh got banned, there were plenty of goons saying that probably she'd gone too far with the abusive reports
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

Which might merit a warning.  Like if I was to call 666maslo666 a ****ing idiot.  I'd fully expect to get a warning for that, but not a ban.  Who gives a **** about doing it in reports no one except moderators can see?

But then again, merely criticising RSI moderators is grounds for a 10-year ban

You may get banned even if you didn't say anything on RSI.

Heh, if RSI mods saw this thread, they'd probably ban me.  That's an amusing thought.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 06:32:05 am by Aesaar »

Offline Kszyhu

Now that's funny, I remember Seria dropping into E:D thread on RSI forums periodically to claim SC's superiority, last person I would expect to be banned there.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Everytime I see a link to that rsi reddit I see nothing but extremely loyal white knights commenting on stuff with massive upvotes.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

banning people for reporting posts is not the kind of action a reasonable mod staff should ever take.
Really...

And mine didn't even have bad language in them.

You really have to appreciate the skilled camera work in the ~seamless planetary transition~ that hides all the limitations of their system.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Which might merit a warning.  Like if I was to call 666maslo666 a ****ing idiot.  I'd fully expect to get a warning for that, but not a ban.  Who gives a **** about doing it in reports no one except moderators can see?

*Puts on moderator hat*

Calling someone an idiot in a forum post would likely get you a warning, post moderation or a posting ban depending on how often you've done it before, what provocation was in the thread prior to your post, and how severe the insulting was. Calling someone an idiot in a post report would probably not get you any action at all because that's private.

The whole reason for that is in order to stamp out flaming before it get started. If you call someone names publicly, you're going to the one who gets in trouble for it because we don't want them feeling that they have to respond in kind. If you do it in a report though, only the mods and admins are going to see it so as NGTM-1R says, we don't mind a little venting when it's justified. That said, don't start composing particularly foul reports based on that. :p

banning people for reporting posts is not the kind of action a reasonable mod staff should ever take.
Really...

And mine didn't even have bad language in them.

We did explain at the time that you got into trouble for severe overuse of the report system to the point where you, one user, were generating a large percentage of the reports on this forum. Reports that by and large were worthless especially given that you didn't seem to understand the forum rules well enough at the time to not be the person that the majority of the other reports were about. No one is going to get in trouble for using the report system as it was designed. Abuse of the system on the other hand.....

Offline Lorric

I'm only interested in talking to The E about this, if I talk to anyone.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Then PM him. If you're going to drag your dirty laundry into public, don't complain when people point and laugh at your skidmarks.

Offline Lorric

Then PM him. If you're going to drag your dirty laundry into public, don't complain when people point and laugh at your skidmarks.
I can't. He has forbade me from PMing him.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Then don't use the forum as your person PM outbox. Seriously Lorric, you've been doing well for months now, don't start up this **** again over an issue everyone else has long forgotten about. Let the topic go back to Star Citizen.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And just for the record? Any answer you'll get from me will just be a copy/paste job of what Karajorma just said.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns