Author Topic: Just curious  (Read 6623 times)

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I may not be an average poster/fan, but hearing about the concepts you're using for balance would be very interesting to me, for a brief update.  great to hear R1 is coming along!

Offline Echelon9

I would! I find even "mundane" discussion of code highly interesting.

Hurrah! In that case, I might pull together a post about the performance improvements we've been able to squeeze out of the engine lately. This is both on the pure CPU cycles side, plus also in the area of reduced memory usage.

There's still more work to be done here (Sushi for one has some good things coming along) and I'd like to get memory usage down, as right now having a few basestars and a battlestar in full combat in mission can use up more memory than I'd like to see.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That might actually be a good idea, as long as it doesn't distract you from further improving the performance.  :)
Such posts are great for showing how far FSO has gone since retail. I like hearing that you managed to squeeze out another few FPS out of the engine and reduce CPU/memory load.

I would have to agree that as long as it is not a huge chunk of time or annoyance for you guys, I would like to hear about the minor balancing tweaks.

If you look at it this way, a huge majority of the World of Warcraft players read the patch notes to find out what minor tweaks are done to the various aspects of the game (which is mostly balancing).

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I would! I find even "mundane" discussion of code highly interesting.

Hurrah! In that case, I might pull together a post about the performance improvements we've been able to squeeze out of the engine lately. This is both on the pure CPU cycles side, plus also in the area of reduced memory usage.

There's still more work to be done here (Sushi for one has some good things coming along) and I'd like to get memory usage down, as right now having a few basestars and a battlestar in full combat in mission can use up more memory than I'd like to see.

Oooh, yes please.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it