Author Topic: New Eyecandy Thread  (Read 854436 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I know that tyrannos is ancient Greek Tyrant, but first - it's an agressive name fitting for attack ship like destroyer or corvette,  and second, I can help to thin T-rex, or tyrannosaurus rex when I heard tyrannos, even if it's completely wrong parallel, it still sounds agerssive.

Actually "tyrannos" was a rather neutral term to the ancient greek (in Plato's Politeia the "tyrannic constitution" is a simple follow up of a "democracy" becoming defective); most monarchic rulers held the title of "tyrannos" until the hellenistic period (then commonly used title became "basileus")

the aggressive contotation is a (mostly) modern addition promoted by authors of the Reinissance and Romatic Periods
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
What Orpheus said. The term has been used until 1300 I think, and the negative connotation is relatively recent. FYI, "basileus" is pretty much the equivalent of "king", though its root is related to the Greek word for "noble", and that's not a surprise because the two titles were connected. These terms may have even been synonims.

Back on topic, I consider Tyrannos a good name for a command ship, a role that is somehow played in battle by the EA carrier.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline mr.WHO

I haven't thought about it from ancient Greek perspective, but yeah, this way Tyrannos sounds more neutral.

However I think that roman naming would fit EA rather well.

GTA -> greek naming, science, exploration, common protection against Persia....I mean Zods :)

Then EA -> replace GTA just like Romans replaced Greeks, plus power, order, militaristic, preparation for total war against evil from beyond know space.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Naming conventions will probably be discussed somehow, somewhere in the future (IMO there are too many Greek names at the moment). INFASA follows a different naming convention (most names are in Latin), intentionally meant to be classic... in the literary sense.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Concept (by Axel of the Relic Community)

Mesh

PCS2 Shots

-R

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
looks quite nice :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Looks really cool. Is it a civilian transport of some kind? Like a space liner?
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

In most of the Homeworld 2 mods it saw use in, it was generally covered in more guns than the AI knew what to do with.

I was never a fan of that particular model when it was still seeing use in HW, but that was usually because it looked out of place next to the stock ships. Hope you guys do it more justice.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Medical ship.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I like the fins. But I would prefer 3 or 4 of them :)

Overall design and texturing is :yes:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Never liked the model, but it would make a good medical ship for that design.

Offline mr.WHO

With such number of windows it look more like civilian cruise liner.

EDIT:
I took a look at ModDb site and saw new screenshots. Do they mean that INF:Gateway is more than an early WIP? Do you cooperate with Ancient-Shivan war team?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:52:30 am by mr.WHO »

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Damnit Mobius

No, what hes leaked there is a simple port of the INF SCP based Ancients campaign table testing, it was extremely early prototype and will have to be redone for the new modpack build. What I was testing there was incorrporating the upgraded versions of the publically released ASW ships (we donated some of their current fleet to them) and some of our ships that they upgraded for ASW, plus some of our unused leftovers which they didn't use.

If we do build it it'll be after the main modpack release, though we are leaving enough hooks in the tables to allow it to easily slot in without a major overhaul (species support etc)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
In the Inferno 10th Anniversary Edition FAQ (which is also on ModDB, by the way) it's clearly stated that the Ancients will not be included in the main INFR1U release, so consider those as samples of raw testing, not actual shots from INFR1U. I'm editing the descriptions to clarify that.

Speaking of the mentioned collaboration with the ASW Team, this is not news. They helped us upgrade the SI Arachnas, for example.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Yes but I'm not even guaranteeing that Gateways was going to be made, so posting prototype shots publically makes everyone assume it will be made.
Especially with screenshot titles 'Ancient fleet returns' :rolleyes:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
For the record, ModDB descriptions have been changed. ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Noticed that the Ennead got posted there as well, I've made a few minor changes to the mesh since posting those pics on the internal. Wasn't expecting it to be made public so fast. Do we have a policy on that or can anything be posted publicly? I don't have any issues with WIP pics being posted just would like a heads up first. Who knows I may have a better pic you could use :p
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I posted a thread earlier in the internal about this that you may want to look at :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5