Author Topic: If TBP could have new effects, what would you want to see?  (Read 59339 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: If TBP could have new effects, what would you want to see?
Sometimes, you simply want to get the original experience. Playing unmodified FS2 for example. Or look at the recent remakes of older games, most of them come with a "original mode". Halo Anniversary, the Monkey Island games, ... , it is about "how did that look like back in the day?"
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Then they can play TBP without Zathras, can't they? I still think it makes only unnecessary complexity if there is the original TBP, then there is Zathras and on top of that yet another mod. The only reason for a separate mod pack would be to store maps or effects that are higher that have higher horizontal or vertical resolution than 2048.

Offline -Norbert-

Sometimes, you simply want to get the original experience. Playing unmodified FS2 for example. Or look at the recent remakes of older games, most of them come with a "original mode". Halo Anniversary, the Monkey Island games, ... , it is about "how did that look like back in the day?"
To that I can only say, I have never felt the urge to play the original FS1, ever since FSPort was released and since I downloaded FSO I havn't touched the original FS2.exe even once.

Offline wesp5

I still think it makes only unnecessary complexity if there is the original TBP, then there is Zathras and on top of that yet another mod.

I agree! There are already a lot of graphical options available in the launcher. So if these enhancements should be optional, this is the place where they need to got. Also again I urge to include OAL and compatible engine builds with the next Zathras version!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:15:53 am by wesp5 »

i would like to see a starfury cockpit :)

Mercer

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
i would like to see a starfury cockpit :)

Mercer

That's on my to-do list. I was playing around with a crude placeholder, and there are some z-buffer issues (which can be sorted out). It would be even more awesome, if someone would show me how to properly use the render-to-texture script to put the radar on a map of the cockpit model.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Mungrel

and I'm open to suggestions.

I would like to see a whole new TBP based on the latest fso, not just added on to existing TBP, mods, etc. All that is needed is a minimal setup with the ships, interface, and maybe a few maps to show off new features. That way we could develop what is needed and fine tune everything else, new campians could be added later.

Btw, the new stuff looks awesome Slasher, especially in that shadow vid.  :nod:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:56:46 am by Mungrel »

I would like to see a whole new TBP based on the latest fso, not just added on to existing TBP, mods, etc.
I think that might not be possible. IIRC, TBP's team wanted the final release to be the absolute last one ever, and that even patching stuff via Zathras was controversial.

If you are not affraid to do some grave digging regarding TBP, I recommend you look for HLP user IPAndrews, and look at the threads he posted in circa 2008.

Offline -Norbert-

I wouldn't say "the team" wanted it. Some members (or most likely just a single one) where quite adamant about it.

Beside that, if everything was done anew, from the ground up, any possible claim IPA had on TBP would vanish, since the only things that would remain the same, would be the things that are legally owned by Warner Bros and Straczynski and the name "The Babylon Project" which was already chosen and set, by the time IPA joined the team. He might have been a long-time leader of the Project, but he was not among the founders.

Anyway, considering how many years it takes to build such a big and detailed total conversion I doubt it will ever happen.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The issue IPA had was that continually updating TBP meant that FREDders were trying to make missions for a moving target. Each release would break all the previous missions meaning that that there was nothing to play when the release came out. To be honest, I largely agree with that point of view. It's why the SCP insist that no change to the code can break retail FS2. It's also why I supported the idea of Zathras at the time.

However, if there are no campaigns currently in development (or they are in development by people who don't mind updating their campaigns after every release) and all the existing campaigns work with Zathras that argument becomes somewhat moot.

Given the boost a new release would give TBP, it's probably something worth thinking about.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:06:21 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
A new release wouldn't change a thing unless there finally was a major campaign to play - a grand narrative to experience - that would make the mod more than just a just a bag full of assets...

All of the campaigns out there aren't feeling connected apart from the mere fact that they are set in the same universe ... which is a reflection on the fact that those who make those campaigns (even those with the badge) have been flying solo mostly, myself included ...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think the exposure of a new release would help. Even if you don't have anything new. Just the engine improvements would be reason enough to do it. I'm sure you could impress the hell out of people if you showed them images using deferred lighting and shadows.

The problem is that at the moment, this project looks a little dead.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Just the engine improvements would be reason enough to do it. I'm sure you could impress the hell out of people if you showed them images using deferred lighting and shadows.

I've to admit that I've not been keeping up with the engine improvements for some time now, so you have to pardon that I can't follow you argument all the way it is intended to take me ...

And desipte that I have to disagree with your point that pretty pictures alone would sufice ... Sure it would impress people to see things with all new bells and wistles that the engine can give but in the end there would be nothing BUT pretty pictures, nothing behind it that would grip anyones interest beyond the initial "oh shiny"-moment ...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nothing that new for those who have already downloaded it, but plenty of wow factor for those who haven't. :)

The point though is whether or not this would bring some fresh blood to the project (either as users or better yet as devs).

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
there is more to SCP than pretty pretty graphics (though it helps) it is as much about the behind the scenes improvements to give mod makers greater flexibility and improved stability from better error catching and bug fixes.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's also a good point. TBP runs on 3.6.9. The build is close to 5 years old.

Offline Mungrel

A new release wouldn't change a thing unless there finally was a major campaign to play - a grand narrative to experience - that would make the mod more than just a just a bag full of assets...

It might encourage new campains. I have a B5 story to tell and if fso has progressed enough it may be possible to do now.

TBP runs on 3.6.9. The build is close to 5 years old.

Has it been that long? Lol!

Anyhoo, I would settle for a mod atm. Perhaps Zathras could be expanded into a fully fledged mod for fs2 (not a stand alone version like TBP).

Are there any assets we are 'allowed' to use from TBP?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Making TBP an FS2 mod would be horrifically stupid. It's currently a stand-alone that doesn't require FS2. Why would we limit the number of possible users?

Offline Mungrel

Why would we limit the number of possible users?

Limit users? Possibly but making ppl wait years again for a completed stand alone version is going to limit public intrest and limit the number of users that will stick around and eventually develop for it too. I don't think the same closed way of 'when its done' and 'get what you are given' will be tolerated anymore, development needs to be more open.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to start with a fs2 mod in order to sort out what is needed, what works, what doesn't, the fastest way possible without using the old TBP and having the possibilty of the 'rug pulled from under us' so to speak. Once enough is done then a standalone new TBP (which I prefer) could be developed anyway.

Personally I don't see what the problem is, either we can use the TBP assets or we can't. If not then let TBP die and start a new project with less restrictions and more open development. If we can use them, then lets get on with it.  :nod:

Offline wesp5

Given the boost a new release would give TBP, it's probably something worth thinking about.

I agree with that! One option would be to finally include the latest engine builds, Zathras version and all working campaigns available in a huge TBP 3.5 release. If this is not possible because of the history of the mod, please find a way to include some engine builds and OAL and everything needed into the next Zathras release. Right now it's much too much fiddling to get it the mod up-to-date and you won't win new users this way.

Also in my personal experience creating the Unofficial Patches for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, more frequent releases keep a mod like this alive. If there is too much time between TBP or Zathras releases people will move on...