Author Topic: Stellar enhancements  (Read 92010 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Anything new happening on this front?

Wi h backgrounds and stellar enhancments?

BTW - anyone notice that huge gun thingy on the Lucy? (below, between that front turret and the "fin" like structure )
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 03:18:48 pm by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
m2258734a hasn't been around for a couple of months. :(
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Anyone knbow where to find hte fiery nebula?

Actually, where to find hte best nebula pack out there? I checked Lightspeeds nebula pack, but the fiery ones don't sem to be in there.... :(

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
yeeeez

EDIT - found it...effect was there but hte G & H nebulas were missing from teh stars.tbl :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:55:21 pm by TrashMan »

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
stumbled across this thread in my wanderings around and thought i'd note something i intend to implement for 3.7

right now the randomly generated stars in the background are done with lines (making it easy for them to have motion blur).  In 3.7 I hope to reimplement them to use bitmaps, have different sizes (supergiants, giants, main sequence, dwarves).   Total number of randomly generated stars would be upped

Dwarves would use the current drawing system, sg, g and ms stars would be bitmaps - enabling the new system would require a mission flag + setting (setting would be alignment of the galatic plane).   Positioning would be randomly generated with bias toward being along the galatic plane + bias toward the galatic-core-ward side of the scene.

rarity would be 75% dwarves, 22.5% main sequence,  2.25% giant, 0.25% supergiant.

so in a mission with 2000 stars you could expect 1500 dwarves, 450 main sequence, 45 giant, 5 supergiant
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What about the skyboxes? Why can't we just stick to textured pofs? Or are you in love with the motion blur thing?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
What about the skyboxes? Why can't we just stick to textured pofs? Or are you in love with the motion blur thing?

Getting stars to look correct everywhere on the inside of a model is infamously difficult, I've tried. At least if you want to use one single texture to cover the whole inside of the sphere, that is... you need to use pretty high resolution in order to avoid the stars becoming ridiculous blurred blots of white. I find 4096x2948 slightly too small for that purpose. And, obviously there's the issue of polar distortions, which are pretty hard to sort in their own right.

BtRL Demo did it quite interestingly, apparently they used some extent of clever tiling. But there's some distortion in their skyboxes nevertheless.

If the stars are autogenerated properly to the background (either using bitmaps or procedurally, like the retail lines), then you don't need to texture the bulk of the skybox - in fact you don't need the skyboxes outer sphere at all in that case, unless if you want it to show something else than stars.

Motion blur on the stars has always looked kinda off to me, since retail even, because it never affected anything else. That's the main reason why I currently also prefer skyboxes and would love to have the retail star count set to zero (especially seeing how they hover over the top of skyboxed planet textures...). But if they were made properly, they would be obviously a whole lot better than having the stars on skybox texture.

And, I can't help but to point out the worst flaw of the retail stars - they don't properly align with other elements on the background when you turn your ship. Whatever is done to them, it should be possibly the most important thing to fix in the system in my opinion... but if it's going through complete renovation, it will likely be done, too. :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard

not everyone wants to make a new skybox every 30 seconds

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and some of ARE in love with the motion blur thing! is that so wrong?! don't judge me!
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I find it disconcerting, given that other objects move at relatively different speeds.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
please shorten your signature

When we get shaders down the line it will be very easy to apply one to ANY skybox background to make camera movement smear it slightly to look like motion blur, right? RIGHT? Or better yet, a global motion blur for almost everything. Either way, you'll get your star smear anyway. I personally like the smear but I am willing to part with it short-term.

But not long term :drevil:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
please shorten your signature

Please find a way to make signatures be collapsed by default, so you don't have to look at them unless you want to.

Otherwise, no.  I can't think of anything I'd like to drop from my signature, and I've already dropped some stuff that I'd still like on there.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
How about dropping the

[hr]s?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
That, I can do... I only put them in there cause I thought they'd make it less confusing for you guys.  If it's annoying, I'll get rid of them.  Scratch that... already done.  :p

Offline Admiral Nelson

Now that M87a is back it is time to resurrect this thread.  The discussion really doesn't belong in the mediavps thread just yet.  More work on these stars will be required due to the new lens flares.  These look good on large/close stars, like Deneb, but not so good on more distant ones like Etamin.  I am also concerned that the flares tend to obscure the individuality of each system, as there is at present no difference between flares from one star to another.  Have a look at the examples below.  It will also be necessary to figure out revised small flares for little stars like Sirius B which are close to a larger star.  I now have restored a stars.tbl that supports all of his stars with the correct color values, and have at least a preliminary background with these placed for all systems but Polaris.  I had forgotten about my pet peeve with stars.tbl, namely that a star's luminosity has to be defined here and not in FRED.  I have not yet set all of the luminosity values as appropriate for small vs. large stars.

Welcome to Vega, pilot.

Deneb with lens flares.

Etamin (Gamma Draconis) with lens flares.

Capella A.

Sirius A and B.

The most important stars still mission for the major campaigns besides FS2 itself are:
Altair
Alpha Centauri
Beta Cygni
Regulus
Ross 128
Sol
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:08:14 pm by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i do like those lens flares :-D
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Admiral Nelson

Here are Sirius A and B with varying lens flares.  Would one expect the flares to look similar but scaled differently as shown here?  Or should I be looking at rotating these flares too?

Offline Admiral Nelson

More tinkering with Etamin.  These are meant to show the star in various positions, plus a bonus shot of the Danton exploding. :)  Feedback appreciated.