Author Topic: C&C: Red Alert 3  (Read 31787 times)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I got a question about RA3 and that is concerning the copyprotection. I heard this one uses Securom, online registration and a limit of 3 installations. Is that true?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I know it asked to connect to the net. But if it's only 3 installs i'll be miffed. I didn't have to register though.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I did a little research on that one after hearing different things. The latest info I found was that they are using securom but not as drastic as they did with Spore.
You have to be online when installing so the program can register itself at EA. After that it won't try to contact EA about anything. Means securom shouldn't send any data behind your back.
There is still a limit that is set to 5 installations at the same time or after another, something that might happen when you hardware changes or OS. Still you can now get one installation back when you are online while deinstalling.
So except your PC crashes you should be able to maintain your 5 installations when deinstalling it properly.

If its true and the online installation is the only thing that you need to do I think I could life with that. Still it bothers me what would happen when the company or just the registation server is closed. Does it mean that when I can't register because the server or company isn't there anymore I can't play the game?

Anyway it is a good sign that even EA seams to listen to the users complains and things of other ways or at least a middleway between what they would like and what users would like to see.
Still my friend will have the problem of haveing no internet connection.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The system is essentially the same as in Spore and Crysis Warhead, the differences being that the activation limit is increased to 5 and that deactivation is possible. The biggest problem is still the Securom driver itself and its sneaky behavior.

Offline Roanoke

I read in the paper recently C&C3 has FMV cutscenes starring that 'bit from Hollyoakes with the hooj yojimbos. While I dig abit of babe-in-unifrom, not really what I want to see in CnC.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Well I think my initial feelings are as such:

I really like Red Alert 3 single player and COOP campaign but online I just get my ass kicked.  Somehow there are tons of really good players out there already.  I consider myself no slouch...I know all of the units and abilities but damn.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
The beta spawned alot of good players. They were more interested in playing than testing.

I love the Hammer tank. I stole a King Oni's eye beams once. And the Athena Cannon's targeting module once too. :lol:

I dislike how difficult it is to start additional build queues for the Allies though, and the fact that their repair radii are damn small compared to the Soviet's crusher crane.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester

I really like Red Alert 3 single player and COOP campaign but online I just get my ass kicked.  Somehow there are tons of really good players out there already.  I consider myself no slouch...I know all of the units and abilities but damn.

Now imagine how I felt when I started playing Starcraft online almost eight or so years after its release. :P That's why I don't like playing strategy games online.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Quick note, Tim Curry has gotten FAT in his old age, also bad russian accent, but the mecha tengus make up for it ;)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Tim Curry was great!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Tim Curry's a genius, especially in Legend, in C&C 3 he's just sallow :lol:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
A lot of people wrote reviews slamming it, but I suspect most of them just hate EA.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
A lot of people wrote reviews slamming it, but I suspect most of them just hate EA.
There is allot of that.  They hate EA...they think that Westwood was infallible and they don't like anything EA has done for the franchise since they gobbled up Westwood.  I think many are blinded by this.  I have some gripes with RA3...but it is a good game.  The problems are mostly technical and show a lack of polish rather than a half hearted attempt at building a good game.  The devs are very obviously (in my mind) huge C&C fans, they want to create the best, surely they are under deadlines to publish by certain dates and that sometimes I think hurts the final product at EA (probably more often than not) but it is a good game.
- IceFire

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3

Now imagine how I felt when I started playing Starcraft online almost eight or so years after its release. :P That's why I don't like playing strategy games online.
That must have hurt big time.  Like really big time.  RA3 I'm just getting my ass kicked around allot...and the worst of it is...I usually play 2 v 2 and I usually end up squaring off against one or possibly two good players against me who is mediocre and some numbnut as a teammate.  Or its me vs the really good guy and two numbnuts on the other side of the map facing each other.

So those two do nothing while I get steamrolled by a really good player.  Having a decent player help me out would be beneficial to both of us I think.

Anyways I have to learn to play better.
- IceFire

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I tried out my first online game since beta. I think I fared pretty well. I mean, I LAN against my friends, but they never really played it before, so it was kinda easy. I was up against an Allied player. He was pretty good, but I got lucky and managed to swing my Chopper VXs round into his back field.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Any of you let me know when you get to the last Empire mission.  I think my AI friend isn't going to cut it for this epic battle.  Its very very difficult...every time I launch an offensive it gets cut down in the opening stages and the AI guy is barely holding on for dear life.
- IceFire

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I want to play this game soon, but I have a lot of other titles I'm going through right now so I will hold off on it for a while.

There is allot of that.  They hate EA...they think that Westwood was infallible and they don't like anything EA has done for the franchise since they gobbled up Westwood.  I think many are blinded by this.

It's funny, since Westwood's games became quite hit or miss after the original C&C and RA, and the releases of Petroglyph (which contains a lot of former Westwood employees) reportedly haven't been great either. I think EA did an excellent job with C&C3, although the KW expansion had some issues.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Any of you let me know when you get to the last Empire mission.  I think my AI friend isn't going to cut it for this epic battle.  Its very very difficult...every time I launch an offensive it gets cut down in the opening stages and the AI guy is barely holding on for dear life.
Oh that.
Spoiler:
For defense, deploy 3~4 Defender VXs in Airdestroyer mode to the north of your base and keep them in tip top shape. A Tower near the closer land bridge backed up by two Defenders should stop most assaults on your base. The nanoswarm core can stop the Proton Collider from hitting your base, use it to shield your base when it fires, or you can use Final Squadrons to take out the powerplants behind each superweapon to neutralize it.

I used a mixed force of King Onis, Imperial Warriors, Tank Hunters and Yuriko to cover a few Wave Force artillery pieces. Striker VXs on the ground to cover the air. You should level every building in the Allied air base so that your artillery will have clear firing lines.
When you level the air base, a pair of Chopper VXs and 4 Rocket Angels will come in from the south.

Keep an eye out for Tanya, you'll need Yuriko's sheer power alot to keep your force alive. Add to your forces as you see fit. Once you clear the airbase, you can proceed north and east to the Allies' stronghold. Just level everything in your way, civilian structures and all, and cover your Wave Forces.

After you severly damage the Future Tech building, the Soviet scientist will unleash some weird weapon and wipe out everything on the map, and the map will be resized to fit a smaller area. You and your co-commander will be given a pair of Mecha Tengus, a King Oni, and 6 Rocket Angels, all max ranked. Then you just have to finish off the Soviets and blow the building.

Or, you could just hold off the Allies, deploy Docks and raze the Future Tech to the ground.

If you want me to help co-command, pm me and we'll set something up.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Thats for the tips!  Helped a bunch and I must have been out of it because I tried again and it went great this time!
- IceFire

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
No problem. When I co-oped with my brother, he went straight for Future Tech HQ, which was how I found the short cut.