Author Topic: SCP and FS2 core Rights and Licensing  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
SCP and FS2 core Rights and Licensing
I have a friend who would like to package FS2:SCP for Debian and Ubuntu. We know about the EULA clause about 'friends and acquaintances' but now that Turey's installer allows the download of all the data files, it's obviously reached far greater distribution. BitTorrent, HotU and other methods of redistribution are all in that legal no-mans-land.

So, specifically, what are the terms the FS2 source was released under? Is it GPL, or just Fair Use? Is there a clause or license in legalese that clarifies exactly how and under what terms it is to be used?

And what about the data files? We know that Interplay owns the franchise rights and the IP, but on what legal basis are we permitted to redistribute the core VPs? Just because it's defunct and freely available doesn't mean it's legal, after all.

There are a lot of people who take these things very seriously; anyone who's tried to upload an image onto Wikipedia recently knows this. To actually become part of the Free Software / Open Source community we need a CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE for Freespace 2. Right now Noncommercial Share-alike looks like the best fit, but the administrators and caretakers of the community need to get in touch with Volition, if possible, and negotiate on this.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: SCP and FS2 core Rights and Licensing
This probably belongs in General Freespace or the SCP board.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Perhaps, but I'd really prefer to keep the attention of the veterans and admins and not have it buried or flooded with unhelpful comments. Ideally it would migrate to an admins-only arbitration forum, but I can't see any of those.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Yay Galemp is back  :)
The Signature is a Nuke!

As for the Source license, PM Taylor or Inquisitor.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I have a friend who would like to package FS2:SCP for Debian and Ubuntu. We know about the EULA clause about 'friends and acquaintances' but now that Turey's installer allows the download of all the data files, it's obviously reached far greater distribution. BitTorrent, HotU and other methods of redistribution are all in that legal no-mans-land.

Actually they're all illegal. But no one seems interested in prosecuting anyone for it as long as they aren't making money.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Interested, or capable?

Obviously Interplay is in no position to prosecute. But if they were--and if the next owner of the FS license is--would we have any legs to stand on?

If not then the hosts of the ISOs and data files are doing so illegally, which we shouldn't be supporting. I recommend we keep distribution on a word-of-mouth basis and not publicize, then.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
But if they were

I think that is way too big of an "if" to be worth worrying about at this stage.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Sorry, CP, but it's a big issue for the free software community. And if we want this game packaged and mass-marketed like Turey seems to be, we need these issues straightened out, one way or the other.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It has already been mass-marketed for well over a year and things have worked well. If we ever do run into problems in the future, we can remove the downloads at that point. Until then, I see no reason to worry about it. Of course, I'm referring to our existing downloads/installers and not the Linux distribution you're talking about.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I think we can continue until the Cease and Desist letters start arriving. Until then any owner or potential owner should thank this community for keeping this great game alive and in the public eye. Not only that but the TC's are certainly safe!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

How about we just put a statement on the front page of the site, that states very clearly that anyone who downloads from our community is a friend of our community?

EULA friends clause = Problem solved.

IANAL, though.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
So, no CC license then?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The code isn't open source, and isn't GPL compatible (it would matter more for a distro than for us).  It's not "open source" since you can't profit from it in any way.  That means you couldn't include the source in a distro which is sold, for instance.

They basically just released the source code for educational/recreational purposes only.  All of the code belongs to Volition, everything based on the code belongs to Volition, and profiting from the code in any way is a violation of the license that the code was released under.

As far as the data goes, Volition still has the copyrights on it, just not the distribution rights (as far as I know).  So, technically, both Interplay and Volition are fully capable of suing you if you distribute the game data.  I have a feeling that if Volition had the rights to do so, they would release the data for download, but they haven't.  That may be the reason that they haven't sent out any C&D letters yet, but that could change at any time.  Just FYI.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Ah, great. That's what I needed to know. Thanks, Taylor!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...