Author Topic: Skype/Steam links in profiles  (Read 1955 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Skype/Steam links in profiles
Okay, so our current profiles give us the option of adding ICQ, AIM, YIM and Minecraft quicklinks to our profiles. I wonder, could something similar be added for services like Skype, Steam or Origin?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Skype/Steam links in profiles
Could yes, Minecraft I am sure is HLP addition, so the admins are capable and willing to add more. But there is one significant problem with the request, Sandwich or any of the other admins have not properly maintained the HLP theme to stay current with SMF, as such there are quite a few underlying issues with the theme. Adding more features to already fundamentally broken and unmaintained theme would be less than ideal. The wiki theme is in same situation, but even worse even because the layout is visibly broken in WebKit/Blink browser engines.

Of course, can't expect them to maintain themes if they always lag behind in critical security updates too. (97 days and counting :sigh:)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
This makes me wonder - do people still actually use ICQ/AIM/YIM?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
interesting point, for myself must be 10 years since i used either of them
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I still use AIM on a weekly basis, actually.  Have a group of friends from a long-time forum of mine who have been chatting via it for years.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Twitter was recently added (few weeks ago?) without much fanfare though.

I can easily add Skype, Steam, and Origin fields - all without modifying the forum theme templates, I believe. Gimme a few.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Skype's done. Working on the others now.

EDIT: Actually, what should the Steam and Origin icons link to?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For Steam, I suppose the steamcommunity.com page? (I.e., http://steamcommunity.com/id/hlp_the_e for example )
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, Steam is done.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Having a slight problem with it, there are apparently 2 people with the name 'Flipside' on steam, mine is capitalized differently (i.e. FlipSide), but my link goes to the other guy (Flipside).

Not sure if anything can be done about that because it seems to be linked to case sensitivity.

Edit : Just tested and it appears I cannot even access my page from outside Steam itself because of this clash... interesting...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:20:11 am by Flipside »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Interesting... not sure there's anything I can do about it on our end, but if you find a solution, do let me know.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've just changed my community name to MrFlipside, but at the moment I'm getting an error message when I try to view my page using the name, it could just be a question of leaving it a few hours to let the changes percolate through the system so I'll try in a little while and see if anything changes.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Fixed it, it was my mistake from the start, I'd forgotten to create a unique url for the profile when I'd set it up, which was why it wasn't finding me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:39:38 pm by Flipside »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken