Author Topic: Release: 3.7.2 RC4  (Read 19147 times)

Offline SirKnightly

• George or Keira?
RC4 is now out, it will hopefully be the last before final as this phase has gone on plenty long now.  It is a direct copy of trunk r10995.

Important!!
As always, you need OpenAL installed.  Linux and OS X come with it but Windows users will need to get Creative's OpenAL installer. Alternatively, if Creative's OpenAL doesn't work with your hardware, you can use OpenAL Soft.

Important!!
Also, since the internal code linking for TrackIR was revised, an external DLL is now required for FSO to use TrackIR functions.
The following DLL is simply unpacked in to you main FreeSpace2 root dir.
TrackIR is only supported on Windows.
TrackIR SCP DLL (Mirror) (Mirror) (Mirror)

Launchers, if you don't have one already:
All platforms:  wxLauncher (ongoing project for a unified launcher)
-or-
Windows:  Launcher 5.5g (Mirror) (Mirror) (Mirror) Not compatible with Windows 8, use wxLauncher above
OS X:  Soulstorm's OS X Launcher 3.0
Linux:  YAL or by hand or whatever you can figure out.

Known issues:
  • Open non-feature issues in Mantis: 129
  • See the list of Fix for next release bugs - mark a bug as an elevated priority (high, urgent, immediate) to get it included in that filter.
  • Here is the filter for Target 3.7.2 bugs.

Windows
Compiled on MSVC 2008 SP1

If you don't know which one to get, get the third one (no SSE).  If you don't know what SSE means, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions
You can use freely available tools like CPU-Z to check which SSE capabilities your CPU has.

fs2_open_3.7.2_RC4.7z (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the SSE2 Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

fs2_open_3.7.2_RC4_SSE.7z (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the SSE Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

fs2_open_3.7.2_RC4_NO-SSE.7z (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

What are those SSE and SSE2 builds I keep seeing everywhere?
Your answer is in this topic.

OS X Universal (32/64-bit Intel)
Compiled on Xcode 5.1.1

fs2_open_3.7.2_RC4.dmg (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

Linux 32-bit
Compiled on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32bit, GCC 4.6.3

fs2_open_3.7.2_RC4.tar.bz2 (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

FreeBSD 64-bit (experimental, limited support)
Compiled on GhostBSD LXDE 3.0 64-bit, GCC 4.2.1

fs2_open_3.7.2_RC4.tar.bz2 (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

Source Code Export (MD5)
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4_src.tgz (Mirror) (Mirror)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:28:55 pm by chief1983 »

Offline est1895

I'm sorry, but none of the download links work? Error 404

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hmm.. 2 from 3 of the OSX / Linux / FreeBSD and Source code export links work? Looks like just the Windows links are 404.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline est1895

Hmm.. 2 from 3 of the OSX / Linux / FreeBSD and Source code export links work? Looks like just the Windows links are 404.

Yup

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I thought that went faster than it should have.  Let me see...

edit:  Should be all fixed now, and necessary corrections committed to SVN so it won't be broken when Final is posted, assuming I don't try to make any more upgrades to the release code.  I'm pretty happy with where it is now though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:35:40 am by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Since RC4 is planned to be the last RC for 3.7.2, I'd encourage everyone to download and test it as much as possible, it'll be the last chance to find (then fix) any bugs before 3.7.2 final.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Posted to reddit and Facebook to maximise exposure
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Echelon9

All three of the OS X Universal (32/64-bit Intel) links are corrupted. Either 404's or link to a .dmg with zero-sized application binaries.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
At last, that briefing FOV bug is fixed. That had been around for several years. Great work. :yes:

Yeah but now we all have to go back and double check our briefings :)

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
This is both great news and bad news at the same time for my campaign thread. I will continue testing with RC4 then.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Echelon9, very true.  The fsmods links are down across the board but I didn't notice the broken DMG files on the other two mirrors.  I'll investigate at work tomorrow.

edit:  The .tgz version was made correctly, so it's related to how I tried to split the code into making both the .tgz for the Installer, and the .dmg for the release posts.

edit2: reading the code without the Macbook in front of me, I think Perl's File::Copy routine I added recently isn't recursive.  I should have noticed that earlier though.  I'll have it switched to File::Copy::Recursive, or a custom replacement tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:58:11 am by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok, I've fixed the OS X dmg and the MD5 sums file, and patched my local build script so that it should work correctly next time.  After I ensure that it at least doesn't parse error I'll have that fix committed.  Now that this build set is completely release though I will be updating the Installer files with RC4.

Offline Echelon9

The Mac build for 3.7.2 RC4 is working fine now. Thanks chief1983.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The FSMods mirror (usually the middle link) is now back in business.

Offline Echelon9

Great, let's iron out any remaining key bugs and hopefully have a release soon! The more testing, the better, people :)

In Windows section mirror and MD5 links are broken. It should be 3.7.2, not 3_7_2.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Fixed, thanks for catching that.  I'll fix the release script.

Maybe this is a stupid question but I am a bit confused. There is the Release: 3.7.2 RC4 and then there are nightly builds of fs2_open_3_7_1. So which EXE is the recommended one to be used? Seems like 3.7.1 nightly builds would have a higher number than 3.7.2

Can someone explain the version paths?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
RC builds are release candidate builds, this path is not taking on new features unless essential and exists for troubleshooting the code in preparation for the next stable build.

Nightlies on the other hand or active development builds with features being added, fixed and most importantly changed/depreciated on the fly with no prior warning meaning that the way options are enabled can change with little warning and quite dramatically.  also with the addition of new features for testing the Nightly builds can be very unstable.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art