Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589003 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
In truth, I'm am sympathetic to the developers who got into his company and have to deal with the trainwreck of all of his ambitions crashing into reality. The level of nerve-wreckedness that this environment must already be into, the number of whispers of how the direction is being lunatic (and how ultimately, it's always the devs fault, because of course). It must be staggering, the kind of fatalist doomed pressure they must be in.

Which might not help affairs at all. I can even picture some of them, "What, what did he mean we are going to make fps combat inside big ships while others are fighting outside with space fighters? Wait, did he just say we are gonna have a hundred planets developed?.... Oh god, what did he say now?"

Sounds a lot like working for Molyneux.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam

What'll eventually happen is, if the game releases then it'll be years in the future and the final product will be a mediocre mess that had to cut back on a lot of the promised features in order to finally release. It'll be like GTA5 Freelancer but it'll be a failure on a much larger magnitude.

FIFY.  :) 

As soon as I read about Star Citizen and saw who was behind it, I was all "Woo hoo!!"  Then 3.14159 seconds later I remembered all the promises for Freelancer.  I was hopeful that with another 15 years of technology and experience he could pull this off, yet I was skeptical at the same time.

I really want this game to succeed, for the good of the genre (I personally am not interested in an in-depth simulation as much as a fun shooter).  I don't think the genre will ever be gone for good, but I am afraid of consumer disappointment in projects like this setting it back again.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

What'll eventually happen is, if the game releases then it'll be years in the future and the final product will be a mediocre mess that had to cut back on a lot of the promised features in order to finally release. It'll be like GTA5 Freelancer but it'll be a failure on a much larger magnitude.

FIFY.  :) 

As soon as I read about Star Citizen and saw who was behind it, I was all "Woo hoo!!"  Then 3.14159 seconds later I remembered all the promises for Freelancer.

I liked Freelancer and thought it turned out well. Not necessarily what people had been expecting, but it's a fine game in its own right.

I'm expecting Star Citizen will turn out similar. A fun game, eventually delivered well behind schedule, but not quite the game that people thought they'd be getting.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Not having ever really been interested in the game, what I really take away from this is a perfect example of the reasons I think kickstarters are generally a terrible idea and I will never participate in one, along with pre-orders and early access.  Hopes, dreams, and intentions don't earn my money.  Product (or service) does. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Not having ever really been interested in the game, what I really take away from this is a perfect example of the reasons I think kickstarters are generally a terrible idea and I will never participate in one, along with pre-orders and early access.  Hopes, dreams, and intentions don't earn my money.  Product (or service) does. 

Fair enough view to have
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I liked Freelancer and thought it turned out well. Not necessarily what people had been expecting, but it's a fine game in its own right.

I'm expecting Star Citizen will turn out similar. A fun game, eventually delivered well behind schedule, but not quite the game that people thought they'd be getting.

I agree; Freelancer is a fun game.  My only real beef with it is the deliberate lack of joystick support.  I guess it was done to try to broaden the appeal, but it seems all it did was alienate many of the genre's hardcore fans, who already had joysticks and wanted to use them.  I didn't pick up my copy until I found it in a bargain bin for $2.  When older games like FreeSpace could already be played with or without a joystick, I never understood why joystick support was removed completely.   

The other features didn't appeal to me, but I remember people being disappointed that it content was scaled back. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

I agree; Freelancer is a fun game.  My only real beef with it is the deliberate lack of joystick support.  I guess it was done to try to broaden the appeal, but it seems all it did was alienate many of the genre's hardcore fans, who already had joysticks and wanted to use them.  I didn't pick up my copy until I found it in a bargain bin for $2.  When older games like FreeSpace could already be played with or without a joystick, I never understood why joystick support was removed completely.   

Freelancer has mouse-aimed gimballed weapons AND mouse turning combined. Works well enough with a mouse, but it's fairly awkward to do with a joystick... and if you made the weapons just fire straight forward, the game gets a lot harder. I'm guessing its a design problem they never managed to solve before they needed to ship, so they erred on the side of supporting mice.

It's a design problem that hasn't gone away, either: Arena Commander has the same issue and still hasn't managed to solve it to everyone's satisfaction.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think the mouse-first design is why the game has lasted so long.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I think the mouse-first design is why the game has lasted so long.

It really goes a long way towards making the game accessible. I'm not surprised they're trying to keep it for Star Citizen.

Offline CT27

I actually thought Starlancer and Wing Commander 3 were decent games (Starlancer somewhat less so though).  So I'm hoping the spacesim genre doesn't die.   That said, from what I've heard I'm not crazy about SC that much in and of itself.

That being said, overall I disliked the Wing Commander movie, so I'm not a fan of everything Chris Roberts does.

Offline Luis Dias

I'm putting my faith on No Man's Sky. Adventure, space travel, surprise and exploration.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I'm putting my faith on No Man's Sky. Adventure, space travel, surprise and exploration.

They talk about No Man's Sky in the early stages of the podcast and opinions are less than ideal

Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Limit Theory all day erry day

Also Enemy Starfighter.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Pretty sure I'm going to end up buying all of them anyway, so I'm happy to root for the lot.

Enemy Starfighter is the only one of those I have any anticipation for. The others have drunk too deep from the open-world Kool-ade.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thing is, people aren't Donkeys, at one point or another they are going to start asking 'so when do I actually get that carrot?'

Offline starlord

Guys, come on!

http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/

Surprised none of you mentioned this one! Seems to be a good attempt at a Newtonian space sim.

I don't get what the obsession with Newtonian flight mechanics is with the current crop of space sim fans. I thought the original Frontier had pretty well proven that they're not actually fun?

Offline CT27

I don't get what the obsession with Newtonian flight mechanics is with the current crop of space sim fans. I thought the original Frontier had pretty well proven that they're not actually fun?

I don't like them either.  I prefer 'regular' space sim physics like FS and Wing Commander.