Author Topic: Freespace V.S. Star Wars Part One  (Read 19279 times)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Re: Star Wars V.S. Freespace Part One
Well, if you take SW:RS2 on gamecube into consideration, there is no way a ISD has that much firepower. On that mission where you have to take the ISD down the turbolasers are actually quite weak. If all things are equal, and for the sake of the argument we say that a B-wing is as powerful as a Herc-2, the ISD has really weak firepower. Not only does it take alot of shots to bring down your shields but then the blow you up too. So either B-Wings can stand that much firepower, or turbolasers are pretty weak.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Don't take crappy arcade games into consideration when determining how strong a SW ship is.  They specifically make it easy for you to be able to take one down.  A single fighter should rarely pose a threat.  Turbolasers are not weak, the fighters' resistance is just magnified.  I mean, in FS a fighter can take a full on beam hit and lose a minimal amount of damage, at least on lower difficulties.  By that argument FS beams are weak as well.  I would only judge capship strengths based on their effect against other capital ships, since any effect against fighters is inevitably adjusted for gameplay reasons.  In that regard, an ISD and a Mon Cal cruiser are equally capable of dishing out vast quantities of turbolaser death.  I mean come on, there has to be a reason that an ISD is essentially the flagship of any local fleet in the SW universe, because it's a bad ass death spewing machine.  100 turbolasers _will_ mess you up, just as a beam will.  On top of that, the ISDs are equipped with great quantities of electronics warfare weapons in the form of ion cannons.   Those would likely wreak havoc on an unshielded FS capital ship's ability to fight effectively.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline James Freeman

• Human/shivan/??? hybred
First, let us assume that Durasteel is about twice as strong as depleted uranium.

Thus, Turbolasers probably don't do that much damage. It's notable that ships in Starwars can survive hits from turbolasers unsheilded. If you go by the 'official' *COUGHfanboyCOUGH* calculations, the yield comes out significantly larger than an A-bomb.

A direct hit from an A-bomb, all things considered, should utterly vaporize ANYTHING made of depleted uranium. Even if Durasteel was three times as strong as depleted uranium, it would still vaporize when hit by a nuke. Thus, a ship without shields in Star Wars would be vaporized by one or two hits.

Another inconsistancy: How come the Hoth base (Echo base) wasn't vaporized by the orbital bombardment when its shields went down?
EDIT: And after the empire knew that their targets had escaped. Speaking of which, if the Empire was smart they would have annihilated Echo base as soon as they could.

Now, a few other things to keep in mind:
-Star wars ships, especially Imperial ones, have VERY vulnerable shield generators. The ISD's shield generators are (stupidly) unsheilded themselves. Whoever designed this ought to be spaced.

-Starwars 'lasers' fire bolts of "coherent light". Fairly absurd, eh?

-Wookipedia lists no exact power level for turbolasers, because there are MANY estimates as to how powerful they are. (see for yourself: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Turbolaser)

-George Lucas seems to consider anything cannon, no pun intended.

(And if you think Star Wars has things far too large to be built, I'm writing a book with a ship called the Darkspire that has its own class: a solar Dreadnought. The ship is about one Astronomical Unit long; that is, 150 million KM. Beat that!)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:32:19 pm by James Freeman »
Proudly commandeering Shivan juggernauts since 2015.
I love the smell of BFR fire in the morning... it smells like victory...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Dude, you're getting way too technical about it.  I'm just saying, look at what you see in the movies, and think about what makes sense.  Obviously turbolasers have to be able to do some damage, or nothing would be scared of them.  They'd be a useless weapon, and ships would be equipped with warhead launchers instead.

And what are you talking about, A-Bombs?  I'm not going by any calculations, it's just obvious that the weapons have significant impact.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
First, let us assume that Durasteel is about twice as strong as depleted uranium.
Baseless assumption.

Thus, Turbolasers probably don't do that much damage. It's notable that ships in Starwars can survive hits from turbolasers unsheilded. If you go by the 'official' *COUGHfanboyCOUGH* calculations, the yield comes out significantly larger than an A-bomb.

A direct hit from an A-bomb, all things considered, should utterly vaporize ANYTHING made of depleted uranium. Even if Durasteel was three times as strong as depleted uranium, it would still vaporize when hit by a nuke. Thus, a ship without shields in Star Wars would be vaporized by one or two hits.
Surely the same would apply to any ships taking part in combat, including FS ships. So, pointless assertion dependent on baseless assumption, and we can't forget the ad hominem at anyone who might disagree with you.

Another inconsistancy: How come the Hoth base (Echo base) wasn't vaporized by the orbital bombardment when its shields went down?
EDIT: And after the empire knew that their targets had escaped. Speaking of which, if the Empire was smart they would have annihilated Echo base as soon as they could.
You may wish to refer to the film, where the goal of the attack is actually capture and after their targets escaped, Vader and quite a lot of troops were still in the base. Let's call this one irrelevant strategy.

No more than the 'xasers' and beams of FS.

(And if you think Star Wars has things far too large to be built, I'm writing a book with a ship called the Darkspire that has its own class: a solar Dreadnought. The ship is about one Astronomical Unit long; that is, 150 million KM. Beat that!)
Star Trek's Dyson sphere does.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Someone should move all these spam posts to the SWvsFS Requirements thread and leave this one for the story, which is what it was intended for.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Alright, you heard him, move this discussion over to the SWvsFS Requirements thread and leave this one for the fanfic.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

[later]

First off, are you aware that all lasers are beams of coherent light? In real life? Everywhere? That's the definition of a laser. It's not absurd at all.

Second, please get back to me when your solar dreadnoughts are half as awesome as a Culture GSV.

Well, if turbolasers really would be photon weapons (which they are NOT, they are plasma weapons despite the name), they would ignore shields like photon beam weapons do. Which means FS fighters get utterly annihilated.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

The script for FS v.s. SW is pretty much completed. You should expect to see it pop up some time tomorrow. I can't write it now because I am still recovering from my flu.
====Freespace v.s. Star Wars Part Five Now Online!====

The ShivanEmperor is back! And now... he has returned... with a will... to conquer... the Hard Light Productions Fan Fiction Forum!

Part One: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,54863.0.html

Part Two: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,54969.0.html

Part Three: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,55041.0.html

Part Four: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,55234.0.html

Part Five: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,55384.0.html

Part Six: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,57798.0.html