Author Topic: Post your TBP DVD Questions and Comments here...  (Read 34704 times)

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Post your TBP DVD Questions and Comments here...
Now that The Babylon Project DVD v1.0 is released, please post your questions and comments in this thread.

The download thread for TBP DVD is here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,56246.0.html

KNOWN ISSUE #1: On the ReadMe Menu, If  you click the Print Button,
it will launcher the installer instead of printing the ReadMe.

There are 2 ways to work around this:
1 - Simply click the Browser Button and print the readme from your browser
2 - Browse the root of the DVD and open the readme.txt file and print from notepad.

KNOWN ISSUE #2: In the DVD ReadMe infomation refers to Campaign Pack v1.1
THIS IS INCORRECT!
The actual Version Number for the Campaign Pack included on the DVD is v2.0

hip63 :p
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 01:06:11 pm by hip63 »
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Post your TBP DVD Questions and Comments here...
seems like my DVD drive is to slow to handle install, music playback and menu at the same time  :lol:
(the sounds starts to crackle then)

good job.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
I thought that may be an issuse on some systems so I planned for it  ;7

On the main menu, in the upper right, you will see a small button with the ascii symbol for a B5 jumpgate, it looks like the - <*>, click it if you need to pause the video and music playback or you could just wait until the movie is done and then install. :)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:48:22 pm by hip63 »
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I added a Torrent in the D/L thread.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Hey Thanks! :D

Awsome!
And when can we look forward to the moddb link?  ;7 At least there you won't have to break it up into so many parts if any.  There is a 1.7 gig dl for the Project reality mod so obviously they let you upload large files.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Started the servers to server copy so this shouldn't take long.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Darklord42: the Torrent is the ISO and both read-me's. No multi-part rar files.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well it's too big for ModDB to accept by about 50 meg.  I'll upload the split files there as well.  2 is better then 20. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Holy crap, guys! Get this in stores! Talk with Volition to see if you can even bundle FS2 and the Turey's installer into the DVD! THAT WOULD BE SO COOL! I would buy a copy for novelty sake!
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
OK the 2 file download links for FileFront have been added.  Over halfway done on the MegaUpload transfers but the links will have to wait until after I get some sleep. 

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Holy crap, guys! Get this in stores! Talk with Volition to see if you can even bundle FS2 and the Turey's installer into the DVD! THAT WOULD BE SO COOL! I would buy a copy for novelty sake!

Why in Yog-Sothoth's starboard side testicle would that be cool. Even if it were possible (which it isn't for two major copyright reasons and one commercial), it wouldn't be cool.

Why is it impossible? Well starting from legal issues, TBP uses FS2_Open to power it and bring it to life. That in a nutshell means it's a game that uses an open source engine and in a truncated form that means it can't be used for commercial purposes. Not to mention that Volition owns the original source code, which is still in the core of the engine, despite all the open source additions to it. I don't know exactly what licence FS2_Open is under (LGPL? Something else?) but rest assured that commercial exploitation would be pretty much against law and the spirit of the community around FS2_Open.

Second legal issue is that even though the intellectual property used to create The Babylon Project belongs to respective owners of Babylon 5 trademark (JMS, Warner Bros., possibly some others), the content of the game is still made by individuals (modeling, texturing, stories, mission design...) who have the copyright to their work, and anyone who wants to involve money into things like this must have an agreement with the creators - every single one - about compensation terms and whatnot... which I can't really see happening to be honest.

Commercially, it would most likely be a nightmare. Distribution of physical media would require entering a publisher in the mix, which would further complicate things. Most likely no one would want to publish the DVD either, and few people would be willing to buy it seeing how they can get it from the net as well. Even if physical media, if correctly packaged and marketed, could attract some members of the community, it would be unlikely to gather wide enough interest to be commercially viable.

Not to mention that a game that you can get free legally is a lot cooler than having to pay for same game... :rolleyes:

Same points largely apply to Turey's installer, with the exception that vanilla FS2 is actually being re-distributed commercially in small scale already.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

RELEASE: The Babylon Project DVD v1.0

Community Created Freeware Space Combat Simulator

Based on the Babylon 5 Universe created by J. Michael Straczynski using the FreeSpace Open-Source Engine.

Release Date: Sept 6, 2008

(snipped)

Is there any way I can get someone who has a decent-speed connection to make a DVD of this for me?  I've only got dial-up. I've tried to download this over a hotel "high-speed" internet connection but after 48 hours I had to abandon the attempt. 

BlackHawk2001

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Awsome!
And when can we look forward to the moddb link?  ;7 At least there you won't have to break it up into so many parts if any.  There is a 1.7 gig dl for the Project reality mod so obviously they let you upload large files.

Files are uploaded to ModDB.  Still had to split it into 2 parts.  Part 2 is already available and part 1 should be soon.   

Offline Vidmaster

Try READ ME   -    PRINT

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

Why in Yog-Sothoth's starboard side testicle would that be cool. Even if it were possible (which it isn't for two major copyright reasons and one commercial), it wouldn't be cool.

snip- every single one - about compensation terms and whatnot... which I can't really see happening to be honest.

Yeah i would want £££ for my voice in The E-B war :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Files are uploaded to ModDB.  Still had to split it into 2 parts.  Part 2 is already available and part 1 should be soon.   

Thats great news FUBAR.  I guess it will be a little bit before moddb authorizes both links.  Now we must spread the word and get this dvd into every corner of the world! ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:33:12 pm by Darklord42 »

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Shouldn't that first post read "Full Motion Video Intro" rather than "full Motion Intro Video"? As i don't know what a full motion intro is, let alone a video of one?

Grammar Police Away ! :warp:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Vidmaster

again: Try READ ME   -    PRINT