Author Topic: Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw (full 3-D RG prequel) trailer & PAX West 2018 gameplay  (Read 8659 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw (full 3-D RG prequel) trailer & PAX West 2018 gameplay

I liked it more than I thought I would instead.

I may need to give it another try.  :)
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

Do keep in mind my expectations were below zero really, I probably wouldn't even have tried it if it hadn't been given away on GOG.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline MikeRoz

Finally. Pre-ordered.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

It won't take that long as soon as you get the idea that you're in an actual boat in the ocean of space, stuck in the 2D plane, with only fighters capable of limited 3D movement.  I think it's an AI and objects in world limitation?  Guessing there.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

It won't take that long as soon as you get the idea that you're in an actual boat in the ocean of space, stuck in the 2D plane, with only fighters capable of limited 3D movement.  I think it's an AI and objects in world limitation?  Guessing there.
From what I understand given that at the time Double Damage was literally made of two people having also a third dimension was beyond the scope they could reasonably achieve on multiple aspects. Travis Baldree said they didn't even have an animator, the animations were made by him moving in front of a Kinect camera (of course with some cleanup) and most characters were modeled only from the waist up because they couldn't afford full models.

Finally. Pre-ordered.
I did too, 13th August can't come soon enough.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Dain

From what I understand given that at the time Double Damage was literally made of two people having also a third dimension was beyond the scope they could reasonably achieve on multiple aspects. Travis Baldree said they didn't even have an animator, the animations were made by him moving in front of a Kinect camera (of course with some cleanup) and most characters were modeled only from the waist up because they couldn't afford full models.

They also said that at the time they were worried that they might be too similar to games like Star Citizen and Elite which were just getting announced at the time. Only to find that those games either never got released or didn't do quite what they wanted to do.

They did mock Star Citizen quite a lot in their first announcement vid.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

They also said that at the time they were worried that they might be too similar to games like Star Citizen and Elite which were just getting announced at the time. Only to find that those games either never got released or didn't do quite what they wanted to do.

They did mock Star Citizen quite a lot in their first announcement vid.

That goes without saying, but they seemingly tried at first to make capital ship combat in full 3D and it had so many issues that they couldn't possibly hope to iron them out so they scaled back to combat on a 2D plane.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
A good anniversary edition RG remake would be full 3D combat witH another added story line.  I'd drop $30 or $40 on it.

I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuge Freelancer fan (so much so I run a fb fan group haha) and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw has gotta be the closest thing I've seen to these games yet!!! Gorgeous planet landings FTW!

Shame about the Epic store exclusive but that’s okay, I'll just wait for it to come to steam as I’m in no hurry due to my endless gaming to do list lol.

This guy has done a good video review of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abmolH6sSy4

Here's some sexy screens I found around the net:

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- MovieTV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Be warned: it's much more Privateer than Freelancer (much fewer but more characterized ships and equipment, enphasis on combat, smaller universe) which seems to have riled some people but that's why I like it in the first place.

It's such a blatant Privateer remake!

It's great!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Any feedback/experience with the integrated much publicised 3d print service?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
By the way I have a Coyote now, I liked the Durston for the cargo runs and mining but I want to go on with the story even though I'll probably do another Eureka side mission because now are coming the station things that give you money.
For now I have gone full autocannons instead of the tachyon guns because additional shield energy, I gave it a quick try and it's like piloting a meaner A-wing, a pity for the cargo space I can't gather as much stuff as I'd like.
I do get hit much less though which was probably the main point since the Durston is a huge slow target and that's not good in the more chaotic furballs no matter how many weapons and devences you have.

Any feedback/experience with the integrated much publicised 3d print service?
The service is not active yet because the firm that was supposed to do it is changing hands.
There seem to be a LOT of skins on nexusmods though, boy that's actually quite nostalgic, remember when skins were made for free by hobbyists instead of sold in an in-game marketplace?

It's such a blatant Privateer remake!

It's great!

Travis Baldree read a few of the more over the top negative comments in a video and there was one that lamented that the game was nothing like Privateer and I wonder what was going on in the mind of the person that made it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:21:48 pm by Det. Bullock »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I do  :lol:

Quake 2 TDM and FS1 squadrons got me into the whole digital image thing.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I have been seriously impressed by their frenzy of post-launch patching.

They were doing a patch a day for a while there, fixing good stuff each time.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
I'm still tooling around in my starter Platypus.  I'm pretty new to trading-type gameplay elements and struggling with that a bit.  I really just care about the combat, but i want to trade to make money faster to buy better stuff sooner.  :)  I think bounty hunter sounds like the most fun, but pirate might be fun too.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I'm still tooling around in my starter Platypus.  I'm pretty new to trading-type gameplay elements and struggling with that a bit.  I really just care about the combat, but i want to trade to make money faster to buy better stuff sooner.  :)  I think bounty hunter sounds like the most fun, but pirate might be fun too.

Mining is good too to make money, you'll need the mining scanner and a mining laser (which also does good enough damage) and stuff like obtanium, alien fossils and anomalies can net a good bunch of money even if you sell a bit under market value, gold, iron and water make good money too.
I also suggest you use trading missions rather than trade manually, it saves a few headaches.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
I had not yet discovered mining.  :)  I have been doing some trading side missions, and if I have cargo space left i was buying stuff to sell, but i was not having fun doing the extra-mission trading. 

I am looking forward to someday sitting down and playing for more than a half hour at a time!

Hey I have a question - can you join both the merchant and the mercenary guilds at the same time?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I had not yet discovered mining.  :)  I have been doing some trading side missions, and if I have cargo space left i was buying stuff to sell, but i was not having fun doing the extra-mission trading. 

I am looking forward to someday sitting down and playing for more than a half hour at a time!

Hey I have a question - can you join both the merchant and the mercenary guilds at the same time?

Yes, like in the original Privateer the guilds rather than factions are just a way to get better and more specialized assignments.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam

Yes, like in the original Privateer the guilds rather than factions are just a way to get better and more specialized assignments.

Thanks!  Funny story - i was just thinking that I need to find Privateer and try it out, when I discovered that I already own in on EA Origin.