Author Topic: Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam release 25 feb  (Read 35580 times)

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam release 25 feb
HW2 squadrons work just fine.  It's trying to apply it to individual ships that's the problem.
Besides I meant SQUADRONS not the actual formations.  You have ti deploy fighters en-masse anyways, so having them already come in groups makes things more manageable, and again, the ability to replace lost fighters in a squadron helps prevent your strikecraft from all being wiped out.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Yeah, the more time I'm thinking about it, (and lurking the /vg/ homeworld thread) the more it feels to me like this remaster is incredibly hackish and sloppy when it comes to dealing with HW1 related stuff. I called it a 9 outta 10 remaster before, but that 9 definitely doesn't apply to every aspect of it.
Formations being broken, tactics being literally useless, a lot of HW1 campaign events don't seem to trigger properly.
They definitely didn't port a lot of the HW1 mechanics into the HW2 engine properly.

The HW1 stuff is pretty much unplayable for me atm. I loved being able to put my strikecraft into formations and changing tactics based on how the fight was going. Now they just break formation, fly in and try broadsiding each other with forward-facing weapons. Attack move doesn't work because they won't fly in formation and so won't move as a group. Strikecraft were my bread and butter in HW1 and seeing them like this is pretty crushing.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but in the old HW1 they actually had a working ballistics model ie. the rounds travelled through space. If you had a scout fly into a mass driver round from a heavy cruiser or an ion beam they'd get vaporised which was just so cool. Now that the game uses HW2's RNG it doesn't make a lick of difference what tactics you use, your fighters won't dodge and instead of machine gunning loads of rounds into the target they fire those annoying single blasts (which incidentally miss half the time). In HW1 the ships hardly ever missed, but if you used evasive tactics your fighters would dodge out the way and genuinely survive longer. I'm no purist, but it's this kind of minimising of the tactical aspects of the game that really rubs me the wrong way.

I disagree. HW2 handles squadrons and formation behaviour far worse than HW1 ever could have. ANd yeah, the repairing is a hackish version of the resource collector repair upgrade. Support frigates have to get in close and dock and as a result they're pretty much useless, since the time they take to dock vs. the damage they repair is not worth it vs a repair corvette swarm.

And no, fuel isn't present because HW:R is running on the HW2 engine.

Ah so that's what that is. I was trying to figure out why my support frigs refuse to repair salvage corvettes. In HW1 they had the speed and repair range to keep your salvettes alive long enough to nab everything with an engine. Now my salvettes just die to everything and I'm forced to waste resources pumping out more, not to mention the ridiculously arbitrary 14 handicap making it infinitely more difficult to salvage everything.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:12:41 am by Buckshee Rounds »

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I'm not autistic so I was able to play HW1RM just fine and beat it, despite the differences from the original (most of which are important, yes)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline BirdofPrey

Yeah.  I might stop playing HW1 till they fix the problems with strike craft and give the support ships a proper repair beam.
The asteroid mission is majorly screwing me over.  Apparently two dozen fighters is no match for a bunch of slow asteroids as ALL of my fighters and bombers managed to get wiped out in minutes.

I'm not autistic so I was able to play HW1RM just fine and beat it, despite the differences from the original (most of which are important, yes)
It's playable, but it's annoying.  HW1 ships should be using HW1 mechanics unless they want to redesign strikecraft to use squadrons, but that would result in screams of "they changed it now it sucks" for being less faithful to the original.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Never played HW1 before this, so most of this didn't bug me. Fighter formations are obviously broken though, and sometimes units will refuse to break away from combat, regardless of tactics setting.

Offline Aesaar

Ah so that's what that is. I was trying to figure out why my support frigs refuse to repair salvage corvettes. In HW1 they had the speed and repair range to keep your salvettes alive long enough to nab everything with an engine. Now my salvettes just die to everything and I'm forced to waste resources pumping out more, not to mention the ridiculously arbitrary 14 handicap making it infinitely more difficult to salvage everything.
lolwut.  Salvage Corvettes are salvage gods compared to HW1.  They latch on so much faster using them takes no effort whatsoever.  They're even more overpowered than they used to be, even with the 14 cap.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Doesn't this come with the original versions as well? I've got it, haven't installed yet.

Someone should make a better HW1Port?  I dunno.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Doesn't this come with the original versions as well? I've got it, haven't installed yet.
Yes.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
lolwut.  Salvage Corvettes are salvage gods compared to HW1.  They latch on so much faster using them takes no effort whatsoever.  They're even more overpowered than they used to be, even with the 14 cap.
Yeah, I don't remember salvage corvettes being able to capture those turanic raider corvettes nearly as easily in HW1 as they do in this remaster.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
HW1R: 70 Kushan bombers vs 3 Taiidan Heavy Cruisers. Guess which wins?
Spoiler:
Heavy Cruisers.

Offline BirdofPrey

The cruisers.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Would that result be the same in original homeworld? (I'm guessing not, since bombers feel incredibly ****ty in hw1r and the cruisers would probably not be able to actually hit the bombers)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
HW1 classic is exactly how HW1 was. They just fixed compatibility issues with recent OS and support for larger res and stuff.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Has anybody been able to mod the art assets from HW1R back into HW1 classic, yet? Is such a thing even possible?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Has anybody been able to mod the art assets from HW1R back into HW1 classic, yet? Is such a thing even possible?

I think HW1's engine will choke and die on the models and textures.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Narvi

I think HW1's engine will choke and die on the models and textures.

HW1's engine has actually been open-source since 2003.

I'm surprised they didn't do more with it than port to Linux, but I guess people who keep complaining about HW2's RNG don't really care that much.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
HW1 source license was an "all your code are belong to us" ****ery noone really wanted to have anything to do with.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Ah yes, the Nintendo-tentacle down throat type license. You might as well not release source code if you do it like that. :doubt:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I am literally throwing things in rage right now. Because they nuked fuel and didn't know how else to balance Swarmers, they had to give them timer when they went back to a fuel pod or just stopped moving.

Because that timer wouldn't apply to player Swarmers, they made Swarmers uncapturable.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline crizza

A battlefleet Gothic mod was never done for Homeworld, wasn't it?