Author Topic: M2 CTD  (Read 1871 times)

Offline BugMeNot

• I'm a throwaway account. My users may behave unpredictably. Read with caution.
  • One Account, Many Users
Hi guys, first up, awesome game, really enjoying it so far. Unfortunately it keeps crashing, generally around the same point in the second (non-tutorial) mission. It simply segaults (segmentation fault). I'm running on linux 64bit , nvidia card if that helps. Quick couple of questions:

1) Is there a specific place where you'd like bugs logged?
2) Is there any way to fudge my save files and skip that mission?

Again, thanks for the great game. If I have the time I might even fire up gdb and debug it myself.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:28:46 am by Ace »

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Re: Re: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice
Please post in the tech support board. Post system specs and the debug log if you can.

One possible fix is turning off the new collision code (it's a launcher setting) and seeing if it's more stable.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline BugMeNot

• I'm a throwaway account. My users may behave unpredictably. Read with caution.
Sorry that tech support board really isn't obvious. It is doing it's best impression of a powered down viper behind a moon.

Disabling new collision code didn't help, neither did turning all the whiz bang graphics off. Not sure where the debug log lives, but here's my specs:

Linux mint debian edition (64bit)
Intel i5 2750k
nvidia gtx680 (with latest official binary nvidia drivers)
8gb ram

Here's what was output from the console. II don't think the alsa warnings are important, sound was working fine.
Code: [Select]
./fs2_open_diaspora
ALSA lib conf.c:1220:(parse_def) show is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1686:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:24:26:Unexpected char
ALSA lib conf.c:3406:(config_file_open) /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib pcm_asym.c:106:(_snd_pcm_asym_open) capture slave is not defined
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.SB-XFi.pcm.hdmi.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hdmi
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.SB-XFi.pcm.hdmi.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hdmi
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.SB-XFi.pcm.modem.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline:CARD=0,DEV=0
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.SB-XFi.pcm.modem.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline:CARD=0,DEV=0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM phoneline
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM phoneline
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Segmentation fault

And it probably won't help, but here's the last few messages from my syslog showing the game crashing 3 times in a row:

Sep  6 18:32:15 beast kernel: [28546.198399] fs2_open_diaspo[8171]: segfault at 24ad231 ip 000000000044ee7d sp 00007fff41e49c20 error 4 in fs2_open_diaspora[400000+577000]
Sep  6 18:49:12 beast kernel: [29562.539004] fs2_open_diaspo[8393]: segfault at 23e70b1 ip 000000000044ee7d sp 00007fffa4ae1110 error 4 in fs2_open_diaspora[400000+577000]
Sep  6 18:59:53 beast kernel: [30203.307014] fs2_open_diaspo[8472]: segfault at 262cf19 ip 000000000044ee7d sp 00007fff1f655810 error 4 in fs2_open_diaspora[400000+577000]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:18:38 am by BugMeNot »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
To get a debug log, build a debug build of fs2_open and choose it from the launcher's basic settings tab. The build instructions that shipped with the Linux release has a section on how to build a debug build. The log will be in ~/.fs2_open/data/fs2_open.log after the game exits or crashes.

If you run the debug build from the command line with gdb, you'll be able to get a stack trace. You'll probably need to tick the "Don't grab keyboard/mouse in a window" option in the launcher's advanced settings >> Dev Tool section and then run the debug build from the launcher before you can do that, though.

Hope that helps.

EDIT for Matth: Yeah, probably should have relied on that, especially since I just found an error in what I said after re-reading the FAQ :doubt: although there's information missing from there, like how to make a debug build for Linux.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:44:41 am by jg18 »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline BugMeNot

So I built the debug version, ran it through gdb, and of course then the game ran perfectly and refused to crash.  I ran it at least 10-15 times before with the non-debug build and it crashed every time. Looks like we have a heisenbug on our hands. Oh well.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
What if you run the debug build without gdb? Does it crash then?

And regardless of whether it crashes, a debug log is still useful, in that it can indicate issues that may be related to the cause of the crash, even if the game doesn't crash on that particular run.

You might want to get a more detailed log called an "improved fs2_open.log" (see the link that Matth posted) by adding a blank file called debug_filter.cfg, like so:

echo "" > ~/.fs2_open/data/debug_filter.cfg

and then running the debug build, and then attaching a .zipped version of the log here after the game exits or crashes. You might want to even do both: attaching a debug log where the debug_filter.cfg doesn't exist, and a .zipped version of the debug log where it does exist.

I had the same problem in M2 although there was one instance where I practically managed to end the mission... with the failing condition that leaves you outside alone versus 3 Basestars. :(

Just made a debug build and was able to finish the mission although at one point it looked like the game froze but when I switched to tty1 to kill it it came back from the dead.

Log attached.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]