Author Topic: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging  (Read 98342 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging
Oh Joe... you performance in PI... what can I say... hmm... not really a.... I don't want to say it.

:D

To be fair though, some of the later missions do seem to have unintended bugs with enemy AI behavior. We saw that in 11 in particular. I'll have to go through it at some point and see what the problem is.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Oh Joe... you performance in PI... what can I say... hmm... not really a.... I don't want to say it.

:D

To be fair though, some of the later missions do seem to have unintended bugs with enemy AI behavior. We saw that in 11 in particular. I'll have to go through it at some point and see what the problem is.

Actually, you can just edit the Fury AI parameters if you use it or just adjust the default AI parameters. In truth, both AI profile parameters for Fury and Retail look the same. It's only the values that makes the default Fury AI.

The parameters are easy to understand. Example: "$Set AI use best weapon ON" (I might forgot the exact patameter) will enable the AI to fire Trebuchets.
You can also set how many hostile crafts and turrets that can target you at any given time.

Offline CT27

I saw on the FSO Nebula page that there are two "Renegade Resurgence" items listed.  The one with "44" in the title is the more recent one and the one you'll want to play IMO. 

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
So I've been looking through Knossos for hidden gems not on your list to recommend (and finishing up my backlog), and man, some of these campaigns are frakking GRODY. I suggest you play "Alliance Fights Back" if you want a compelling, mind-bending storytelling experience that rivals even Eser Guven's masterwork, the critically acclaimed "Surprise!" No MediaVPs, we party like it's 1998 :beamz:

[Edit] Also highly recommend "Battle for Altair" if you do not have any particular attachment to your brain cells. I won't spoil what happens in mission 2. Like the Matrix, you have to see it for yourself. (Also both of these are FS1 campaigns and suffer for it with boring, endless fights against waves of fighters - I highly recommend using the www.freespace2.com strategy)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 10:06:35 am by Shivan Hunter »

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Link to how to get 3D models back, plus lots of other goodies, such as reverse gear and glide 😎

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97961.msg1913167#msg1913167
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Link to how to get 3D models back, plus lots of other goodies, such as reverse gear and glide 😎

Well, getting models is easy. We have model dumps here in HLP.

As for auto-aim fixes and other stuffs, the physical model has nothing to do with. It's in the ship's table entries, or global LUA scripts (which I have no idea unless I have a sample which I can decipher), or other scripts like in the link you posted (which I will begin to decipher.)

Offline redmagejoe

• Rage Mage of Ill Fated Gaming
    • Steam
I just noticed something while playing Exodus in the FreeSpace Port, which I confirmed by going and watching a longplay of the original Descent: FreeSpace. It would appear that there was an oversight in this mission design, where based on voice lines, in some instances the nodes for Sirius and Aldebaran are "swapped", or at least the orders given to certain ships are. Kappa 4 carries supplies for its forces in Sirius, but goes to the Aldebaran jump node, while Kappa 5 and Kappa 6 go to the Sirius jump node, with Kappa 6 stating it is now departing for Aldebaran.

It would seem that the port team decided to keep this oversight intact, and I was curious if the philosophy was to create as close to a 1:1 emulation of the original game as possible without improvements.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Available for Voice Acting work!
Email me: [email protected]
Steam me: redmagejoe

Offline ShivanSpS

I just noticed something while playing Exodus in the FreeSpace Port, which I confirmed by going and watching a longplay of the original Descent: FreeSpace. It would appear that there was an oversight in this mission design, where based on voice lines, in some instances the nodes for Sirius and Aldebaran are "swapped", or at least the orders given to certain ships are. Kappa 4 carries supplies for its forces in Sirius, but goes to the Aldebaran jump node, while Kappa 5 and Kappa 6 go to the Sirius jump node, with Kappa 6 stating it is now departing for Aldebaran.

It would seem that the port team decided to keep this oversight intact, and I was curious if the philosophy was to create as close to a 1:1 emulation of the original game as possible without improvements.

Yeah FS1 node inconsistencies are well documented
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Node_Inconsistencies

The only way to actually fix that is to re-write the entire FS1.

Btw, that is something im doing, not great progress just minors bits here and there, but "Ribos: The Aftermath", and "Retreat from Deneb" are actually two bits from that story, and the changes make them not 100% canon compatible.
But, im not planing to release anything more playable, in fact KnossosNET may actually be my last project, after that i just want to focus on finishing the writing of that story. At most i may make some new cutscene.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 05:05:30 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Well, I knew there were more general node inconsistencies in terms of the wider universe, but what I was talking about wasn't so much an entire rewrite as it was a single inconsistency within one mission. Really it just seems like Kappa 4 and Kappa 6 were meant to be switched, and everything else in the mission would play out properly.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

AIUI, yes, that is the intention. It is a port of Freespace 1 into Freespace 2, warts and all. Though there may be occasional exception for bugs which prevent the mission from working properly.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Heh, all these years and I never noticed that one. But yeah, FS1 in particular is full of all sorts of weird node map and dialog inconsistencies.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Found a campaign you'll want to play! Cataclysm, released looooong ago in 2022, is a very fun little post-FS2 campaign with a unique premise compared to all the "Sol gate and/or Shivans and/or rebels again" campaigns! It's a demo, so it doesn't conclude its story, but what's there is very good :yes:

Honorable mentions so far, dunno if you'll want to slot them in somewhere:

Alcibiades' Gamble is a demo for a cancelled project :(, and plays like the beginning of a campaign - somewhat slow-paced, simple missions with not a lot going on mechanically (you shoot down LOTS of fighters lol). FREDding and moment-to-moment writing are pretty sound, though the campaign didn't quite manage to sell the feeling of tension/unease it was going for (it's set in the very early days of the NTF when no one knew who to trust). Kewl music.

The Apocalypse: Vega is an odd campaign marred by spelling/grammar errors, strange presentation (no loadouts/debriefings, and some subtitle text seemingly in place of them), a premise that stretches disbelief (LOTS of Shivans spilled over into Vega from Capella during FS2, apparently), and frustrating loadouts (A Herc with default weapons, including Prom Rs :mad: I get that they're launching everything they have, but at least give me Akhetons if you want me to disable a Lilith's beam!). Despite all this, the first few missions I played were fun!

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Can some super-cool person in HLP make a tribute to TopAce background / splash? Something that sort of captures all his campaigns, or maybe a forum logo he used, or just something that would make for a distinct thumbnail and splash screen for the legend?
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
It's sad to hear about TopAce's passing, much of his work was before my time here.

So, I'd also like to apologize to Joe for not being present for any streams in a long while, life has been very complicated for me as of the past few months, and it's unlikely to improve anytime soon.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I have finished the complete Game User Interface with Main Hall menu for Reunion Series. I say Reunion series because this will apply to all Reunion Acts 1 and 2. I've sent it to Iain Baker.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Vote on the new poll!  No matter what you choose, both games will be played! This is just to decide the order.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx2aslvEf0p4u4r9STwEVdtIwS_Fc9-Qv0
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline CT27

I heard in the beginning of the recent video that someone was going to be making a new launcher/installer.  Would it be possible for this to have a changelog for the most recent update to campaigns?

It doesn't need to be super fancy, just something like (for example):
"Derelict version X.  Updated m/d/y
Changes:
-
-" 

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Which version of Solaris will you be playing?

I was not "enthusastic" about after I tried the first release due to a confluence of factors (from issues with the writing to some technical problems; to me the maps on the ships caused eyestrain I had not experienced with FSO before - but some MVP models do that to me too). While I am not likely to try Solaris again, I would like to see how it has improved with the new releases.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I heard in the beginning of the recent video that someone was going to be making a new launcher/installer.  Would it be possible for this to have a changelog for the most recent update to campaigns?

It doesn't need to be super fancy, just something like (for example):
"Derelict version X.  Updated m/d/y
Changes:
-
-" 

This isn't something that is really controllable by any launcher/installer; this is something that the mod author would have to maintain and update.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube