Author Topic: Really old campaign availability  (Read 23071 times)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Re: Really old campaign availability
I'll see if I can dig up some of the old campaigns I have on my other compy, like Beyond the Cause and Operation Crucible.

In retrospect, we probably should have started doing this when FS Watch first stopped updating. But oh well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 08:02:06 pm by Mad Bomber »
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
I have all the FS1 and FS2 campaigns that were in the FS watch Archives.  Most of the FS1 campaigns I've ported and the FS2 campaigns are compatible with FSO 3.6.9.  Some of the campaigns still have their original bugs but I've tried to get them all to work.  I'll start posting them to the Hades Combine as I get a chance.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In retrospect, we probably should have started doing this when FS Watch first stopped updating.
Some of us did.  Several of us have a whole bunch of FS Watch stuff languishing in our archives. :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The only older ones I have are Warzone and Pandora's Box, but I think those are still fairly easy to find.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Okay. What I think we should do next is have a campaign of the week. We let everyone play and see what bugs we find. Then anyone who is willing to can fix the bug. Table bugs should be the easiest ones to fix I'm sure.

Might also be nice if we take a leaf out of Admiral Nelson's book and add nameplates while we're at it but I wouldn't want to make that a requirement. :)

Anyone got an idea on what we should work on first?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Why not start with the oldest and most prominent?

Either that or start a poll - what campaigns would people like to see brought up to date for SCP?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Ah but what is the most prominent?

What we need to do is find a good campaign with a few minor problems that people would enjoy to play to start the ball rolling. Lightning Marshal is probably a very good choice for that as there are problems with it but people seemed to like it a lot. But before I arbitrarily decided on it I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I have lightning marshal 1 and 2 done with lightspeed nebulae and nameplates.  It needs bugfixes to be really playable, though.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How 'bout we do TLM 1-4 for the first 4 weeks?  I dunno, just a suggestion.  I've got TLM 1-4, BTW.
Oh, BTW, where are we uploading fixed campaigns?  Hades Combine, FileFront, both?
EDIT: As we get them fixed, you want me to add them to a thread listing all the campaigns, right?
If so, what do you think that thread should be called?
EDIT2: I went to create an account with Hades Combine... who's the admin over there?  He's still running it, right?  'Cause it said it e-mailed him to activate my account (you can prolly guess the username I picked).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 12:08:02 pm by jr2 »

Offline Nuclear1

Ah but what is the most prominent?

What we need to do is find a good campaign with a few minor problems that people would enjoy to play to start the ball rolling. Lightning Marshal is probably a very good choice for that as there are problems with it but people seemed to like it a lot. But before I arbitrarily decided on it I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions. 

I'll second LM.  Especially if Admiral has a headstart on them as he says.

I don't know how many have it, but I have the incomplete, yet still excellent Titan Rebellion floating around on my comp.  It's essentially bugfree, and I think it's due for an upgrade to SCP glory.  Note: incomplete means the story was never finished, but all of the missions are playable, at almost at original FS2 quality.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Umm... Titan Rebellion was completed as far as I know.  At least, I played something called Titan Rebellion.  It was basically Silent Threat for FS2, with all of the mediocrity and bad mission design of the original. ;)

Offline Admiral Nelson

Titan Rebellion was never completed.  It is missing the last three missions.  I've been doing "some" work with it:

I will post what I have for LM 1  and 2 shortly.

If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Titan Rebellion was never completed.  It is missing the last three missions.
Oh right, I forgot about that. :)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Think it's possible to set up some sort of FTP or file center for the in-progress work?

I've never played Lightning Marshall.  Guess now's as good a time as any :D

I'd also vote for bringing Homesick and Sol: A History up to SCP standards.  Homesick's crashing has been resolved by Taylor's fix for the red alert bug (Mantis report 1255, IIRC), but maybe something can be done with the missions design itself to ensure problems are eliminated.  Other red alert missions seem to work fine.

I'm getting really good at finding bugs... not so good at fixing them.  I'm getting decent at filling out bug reports though :D
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Admiral Nelson

The attraction of overhauling Lightning Marshal, for me anyways, was that LM3 is fully voice acted, and there aren't very many of those floating around.  Anyone know of other voice acted campaigns that should be put in the queue?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
EDIT2: I went to create an account with Hades Combine... who's the admin over there?  He's still running it, right?  'Cause it said it e-mailed him to activate my account (you can prolly guess the username I picked).

... Still not even a peep.  Is this normal?

EDIT: The admin actually has to manually create my account?  Usually, you just get an automated e-mail.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
I been trying to find pandora's box and Allied forces(like it for some reason) myself for a quite some time haven't been able to find so far.

it's nice to see that at least some old Campaings are getting face lift good job on that :yes:
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Admiral Nelson

Alright, here is my WIP Lightning Marshal folder:

Click

For the LM1 and LM2 missions I added Lightspeed backgrounds and nameplates.  There are bugs in these missions that need to be fixed before they are playable.  You will also note the LM prequel campaign "Sirius" in the folder; I have not yet touched this campaign as it too has bugs.  We'd need to go thru all of the LM1 and 2 missions and crush any bugs along the way.

Other things I have:

Titan Rebellion:

I reworked all of the 13 existing missions with nameplates, backgrounds, heavily rewritten dialogue and new models.  As you see in the images above, I used Vengeance's fantastic Titan model to replace the Titan originally found in the campaign.  Titan Rebellion would need its last three missions FREDed to be ready for release, plus testing to make sure I didn't screw up anything in the first 13.  I ran into trouble in that I intended to use Nico's Vampire in the last few missions but this model has geometry issues with its cockpit.

Warzone:

Created all needed nameplates, and did backgrounds for all the canon systems in the campaign.  There are three non canon systems in the campaign for which new backgrounds are needed.  Warzone also uses custom planets, which are terribly low rez these days and should be replaced.  The GTE Vidar model used isn't bad looking, but its textures are incredibly low rez and lack shine / glow maps.  There are a very few issues with some missions to fix.

Offline Nuclear1

Titan Rebellion would need its last three missions FREDed to be ready for release, plus testing to make sure I didn't screw up anything in the first 13.

While ordinarily I'm too busy to commit to anything, I can do one or two of those three missions.  Especially for Titan. :)
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Admiral Nelson

Wonderful!!

Here is the WIP SCP Titan Rebellion

Give it a spin, and give any feedback.  I have ideas about what the last three missions should be, but now that we have a community project going, we can open it up for discussion.

Alpha 1 needs your help!! :)