Author Topic: The Babylon Project Base 3.2 and Raider Wars 2.0 released!  (Read 23693 times)

The Babylon Project Base 3.2 and Raider Wars 2.0 released!
So, *Coughs* When shall we see the Vorlon Star Dread? :)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
When It's Done. :p

INCORRECT! /Kosh.

Well, can I atleast get a status update? Is it modelled, textured, weaponized? I assume there is a problem with the main gun, it's whole four pylons meeting and firing one beam.

Cause, I am really looking forward to that ship. Then my dream of a big Vorlon fleet in TBP will come true! Mwahahaha!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I asked Stithe about it and he's working on it, but there's a lot going on in his life at the moment. When he eventually gets around to it he'll knock it out quickly and it'll look awesome. Trust me on this.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Well, you havn't let us down yet, IPAndrews. :)

Would've thought you'd do the Planet Killer after the Star Dread, though. :p

Offline Raapys

Although I expect it will be cool to see the Planet Killer in-game, I don't think it should be a very high priority. There's few areas of usage for it, really. And you'd need some full-scale planet models too, to have a real use for it ;p

That might actually have been pretty cool, coming to think about it. If it's possible to get a beam that big, and not have the planet blow up as if it was a ship.

Well, Raapys, they've got it ingame atleast. It's big.

And, to make it fire, I assume you would put that 'Target' ship and simply fail the mission or, do a supernova event, if it fires at the planet.

Offline Steel

• http://www.rlgaming.com
so do i understand correctly that we can not play multiplayer with the released version?  we have to use a newer build, and the other things won't work?  is it true even of the build recommended by Game Warden for their MP contest (3.6.5+ i think)?

crap! if so.  i was just going to start taking on FRED to build our group MP coop missions.
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury
http://www.wings-of-fury.com

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I see no reason why MP won't work. I played through the entire campaign with Taylor's latest build and never saw any problems.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

The game host needs new SCP build, otherwise game will ctd at mission choose screen. Other players can have original build from 3.2.
Expect the best. Be prepared for the worst.

Offline Steel

Originally posted by Psychoo
The game host needs new SCP build, otherwise game will ctd at mission choose screen. Other players can have original build from 3.2.

that is what i am talking about...  no mp unless a newer build is used...

but then i see commments that using a newer build makes some other things not work correctly, such as sexp's.  is that not correct?

Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Try a newer fs2_open build. Be warned though, newer builds may have problems of their own, and not all RW 2.01 missions work on newer builds due to sexp changes.
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~freespa...p?s=&forumid=97

is this not correct?

i guess we will just have to try it...  i intend to use taylors 3.6.5+ build that is recommended at the Game-Warden contest...  does anyone have other suggestions?  thx!
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Bit confused here, the build we used was recommended by karajorma for multi-player missions.

Fury's comment that RW2.01 will not work with newer builds is correct. RW2.00 (RW without the patch) will, 2.01 (RW with the patch) will not. There are AI problems with the newer builds though so even RW2.00 will run a little strangely. Certain ships will refuse to fire at one another and stuff like that  Hopefully they'll fix that one day..
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

if you are having multiplayer problems like i was crashed out etc it was just because the FS2NET server has changed you need to register at their new site and download a new config file, just dont install the tables also if you have a tables folder in your data folder delete it and all should work.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,33924.0.html

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I've not heard of any problems with Taylors build. In fact the people who play multiplayer over at Game-Warden still reccomend it as the most stable build yet.

Originally posted by Cpt.Blue
if you are having multiplayer problems like i was crashed out etc it was just because the FS2NET server has changed (...)

Nah, we were playing by IP. FSNetD has nothing to that.
Expect the best. Be prepared for the worst.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Try using FSNetD. IP games were flaky a little while back. I don't think the official TBP build should suffer from that but it's worth a try.

Just played with the supplied exe.  Works fine.  I'll post a quick how-to with files tomorrow.
The Babylon Project 2D Art / Texturing / Model Setup / Experimentation and Implementation

NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THE VBB:

Enable Beam-free-all.

Offline Steel

cool!  thx guys for all the comments.  our group is all about coop and online play.  any game that does not have it is pretty much not in consideration for us...

CptWhite,
I will look for your info tomorrow, and when we try I will post results as well...

EDIT:  o.k. i got it running with T-20050626...  i did have to copy the fs2open_pxo.cfg from game-warden as it does not seem to exist in tbp install?  i will try things out and post back results, maybe it will help others that want to do mp as well...

the version that we have been targeting for fs2 mp was per the game warden faq, t-20050103...  we can use either, just wondering which might be better, especially for mp.

would it be better to stick with t-20050103 and no rw 2.01 update?  maybe no sexp issues there?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 12:20:45 am by 1161 »
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury

Will post files when I get home...here's what I had

TBP 3.2
Raider Wars 2.0
Raider Wars 2.01 patch
fs2open_pxo.cfg  (inside the "/data" folder) get it here
register a username at game-warden register here

Start multiplayer game

Go to multiplayer options and input the details you registered at game-warden (into in the PXO box, bottom left). Other options to select - IPX, i set my object update to high since I'm on broadband.

Go back to the main screen, select continue to join the server.  You will have hacked table files (since you're playing TBP...)

You can now create/join TBP games as arranged with your friends.

Unfortunately the 2 multiplayer missions we have weren't included with 3.2 I will supply a link tonight, check back here

Open ports 7117 and 7808 on TCP and UDP in your firewall if you still have problems.  Allow windows firewall to unblock if necessary.
The Babylon Project 2D Art / Texturing / Model Setup / Experimentation and Implementation

NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THE VBB:

Enable Beam-free-all.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Just wanted to mention...

A few bugs that relate to TBP have just been fixed and aren't in any builds yet.  These bugs deal with fighter beams in particular.  There are 3 basic problems:

1) If you are in a ship with fighter beams as your primary weapon (such as a Vorlon fighter) then you must have a ship targetted when firing or risk crashing.  This was a bigger problem if your sensors went out since you couldn't target anything and attempting to fire a fighter beam would crash.

2) If you don't have a ship targetted and somehow avoid a crash it may not fire the beam.

3) Fighter beams weren't properly (or at all really) supported in multiplayer.  It was fixed without breaking the network protocol so new builds will still be compatible with 3.6.5 (and my 20050103) but those older builds will still have problems.  Servers should still be fine (except for the no target thing mentioned above) but clients will really need to use new builds to avoid possible problems.

4) Kills with figher beams weren't counted as kills in the stats.

All of these are fixed in CVS and will be in 3.6.7.   Just a heads up for everyone in case any of these problems come up during play.