Author Topic: Multi Player  (Read 32648 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
This should fix both of the disabled bugs.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

I think the biggest thing right now is mission testing.  I can only test so much playing against myself.
I have this whole week off, so just let me know if you need someone to shoot at for testing, as I can log on at pretty much any time I'm not sleeping.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
This should fix both of the disabled bugs.

I'll give it a try but I found a bug with your bug fix for the client side secondaries.  Anything on the client side with the "nothing" weapon doesn't show a secondary slot and the player starts with an EA Vengence secondary.  You can see it in any of the Vorlon or Shadow TvT's
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Bad news:  Found a new quark.  Doesn't hurt anything but I've notice that the AI will start shooting primaries when they get into secondary range instead of primary range.

This could well be down to table entries. Weapon lifetime * speed vs range.

More good news:  Kara is seemingly demolishing your game engine bugs.

Well the ship I have notice this with the most is the MF Nial so it could well be just a few ships.

Keep up the good work Kara only about 25 more on my Mantis list.

Just tried that build and it as far as the engine problems go it looked good.  Only tried it in single though.   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:11:51 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'll give it a try but I found a bug with your bug fix for the client side secondaries.  Anything on the client side with the "nothing" weapon doesn't show a secondary slot and the player starts with an EA Vengence secondary.  You can see it in any of the Vorlon or Shadow TvT's

Damnit! I realised that might happen when I had a chat with IP Andrews yesterday. It's pretty easy to fix I suspect. The game is probably passing -1 as the weapon number for None. It's easily fixed if that is the case though.

Is this with the new dummy weapon you were using or when you have actually given the ship no weapons?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:41:36 am by karajorma »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Is this with the new dummy weapon you were using or when you have actually given the ship no weapons?

Ships could have either. Although player ships are required to carry a (dummy) weapon AIs are not and may well have no such requirement.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
one step closer to TBP final  :)

let's see what the session tomorrow discovers, hopefully most missions will work (my do not, already called FUBAR)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk

Damnit! I realised that might happen when I had a chat with IP Andrews yesterday. It's pretty easy to fix I suspect. The game is probably passing -1 as the weapon number for None. It's easily fixed if that is the case though.

It was with the dummy weapon but I suspect that it will happen with other weapons.  Like you said probably anything above 127. Ships I tested and actually looked for that issue: 

Aurora:  Works
Nial:  Works
SH Fighter:  Doesn't work on client does on host.
VE Fighter:  Doesn't work on client does on host.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That build should have fixed the error with the Nothing weapon. I just tested it and it worked fine. It won't work if you have no secondaries at all but it looks like my earlier attempt to fix that with a little hack was masking that issue by making it possible to start the game with no secondaries. I've removed the hack cause it was not really meant to make it into a final build anyway as was just shown can cause issues.

I'll post a new build in a little bit (I'll just test those two fighter) and we'll see what happens.

EDIT : Okay new version of the fix is here.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:25:55 pm by karajorma »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Ok guys I need the latest versions of all your missions before I build the patch for the multiplayer session tomorrow night. I need the files a good couple of hours before the session starts. Kara seems to have the engine nailed. It's missions we need to focus on now. I'd like a handful of proven missions we know work nicely to release with the core by the end of tomorrow night.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
That build should have fixed the error with the Nothing weapon. I just tested it and it worked fine. It won't work if you have no secondaries at all but it looks like my earlier attempt to fix that with a little hack was masking that issue by making it possible to start the game with no secondaries. I've removed the hack cause it was not really meant to make it into a final build anyway as was just shown can cause issues.

I'll post a new build in a little bit (I'll just test those two fighter) and we'll see what happens.

Nope still getting the same thing.  I did notice that if you change ship types that it will show the secondary loadout box with a weird secondary (possible the vengeance) that has no label or specs.  Still no secondary weapons showing on the left hand side.  Host works just fine.  Tried to take screen shots but they came out all black.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well this one isn't multi related but I think I might have found another problem.  I can't give the DH Mothership any initial orders.  All I want to do is tell it to play dead.  Looks like it has engines so that should be possible.  Although after looking at the size of that thing I might not use it anyway.   Don't know if this is a table problem or a FRED problem.   

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I can't give the DH Mothership any initial orders.

Check ships.tbl. It's a Supercap. Check objecttypes.tbl. It has valid goals to do most things. So it must be a game engine limitation. Nothing I can do about it.

Edit: Actually this rings a bell. I think I've been through this and may even have Mantised this problem a long time ago. You might want to search Mantis for mention of Supercap. It you absolutely must have the ship moving I suggest using a modular table to add a copy of the ship to ships.tbl (don't override ships.tbl completely!). Give the copy a Corvette class.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:56:49 am by IPAndrews »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Nope still getting the same thing.  I did notice that if you change ship types that it will show the secondary loadout box with a weird secondary (possible the vengeance) that has no label or specs.  Still no secondary weapons showing on the left hand side.  Host works just fine.  Tried to take screen shots but they came out all black.

Which mission are you getting it with? I'm just not seeing it.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I am getting it on MT19 and MD19 for sure.  That's the Vorlon Shadow TvT and Dogfight.  I've also seen in on just the Vorlon missions too. 

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I don't actually have that one. MT17 worked fine for me though. Have you updated both client and server?

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
TBP fredding master FUBAR has done it again and managed to make all of my released multiplayer missions PLAYABLE!
All hail FUBAR  :nod: :nod: :nod:         Great work dude.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
New missions included in the multiplayer patch for tonight (28/02/08) available in the multiplayer setup thread.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I don't actually have that one. MT17 worked fine for me though. Have you updated both client and server?

Yes I have updated both.  Trying a reboot of them now just in case.  I'm going to even re-download the fix.   

OK neither of those things helped so I tried copying over the whole data directory.  That fixed it.  After looking at the save I made before it looks like I had a corrupted weapons.tbl (0 length) on the client side.  So it looks like the fix works just fine. 

Now for the next question.  If the client doesn't have a ship or weapon in the game shouldn't there be some sort of error?  I know when things are validated you will get the hacked tables thing.  I think an situation like this shouldn't be bypassable though.  Guess I should request this in the multi feature thread. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:42:46 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Now that IP has posted the new mission set for tonight's game I could try it. Worked fine for me. I guess we'll have to see who gets the error when we play the mission.