Author Topic: Multi Player  (Read 32649 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I need some Minbari ship names to finish off 2 or 3 more missions.  Need 3 for Sharlin class and 2 for Tanshai class.  Also need a station name but I could just leave it as Shn'Tan.  Come to think of it I could do that with one of the Sharlins and Tanshais too. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Found some names in the Wiki.  Couple of minor changes to the previous ones but nothing game play wise.

---Files moved to new location. ----

New mission

Dogfight version coming very soon.  Also I'm on IRC and chat if anyone wants to give them a try.

And here it is:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:52:38 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
mind adding the Liberty Port Shootout? Since it's basicly your B5 dogfight mission just with different ships and background.
Let's pretend you made it  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Vidmaster

just playing TBP online (using the BtrL config pxo)  :)

still some errors with the secondaries, but...

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Do you guys fancy setting up a weekly multiplayer session at a named time? Perhaps with easy to follow setup instructions to get TBP multiplayer noobs (like me) up and running before the session is over? :)

A thursday evening might be good. Since everyone is always busy on a Friday.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

it was more of a quick decision, I played with a friend (who actually still used 3.4a but no problems).

@Fubar:
- some missions have problems with the Secondary Weapons (for example b5 dogfight), the Thunderbolt starts with weird stuff
- Armed Turtleshell dogfight: the many unkown objects are very distracting while pressing "h" to search for your opponent. Might want to change them to "neutral"

@IPAndrews:
- TBP is mindlessly fun online, it plays great. BtrL is nice with its glide and thrusters but extremly fast. In TBP on the other hand, it's more tactical than about reflexes
- I used the following to play: I copied the (for example BtrL) multiplayer config file (which is in "data" and is named "fs2open_pxo") into the TBP/data. Then you need an account here http://fs2netd.game-warden.com , as usual. You start TBP (not Inf) and create a multi pilot, take care of all the settings under "mulit" and voilà!

@all: IT'S DAMN FUN

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
it was more of a quick decision, I played with a friend (who actually still used 3.4a but no problems).

@Fubar:
- some missions have problems with the Secondary Weapons (for example b5 dogfight), the Thunderbolt starts with weird stuff
- Armed Turtleshell dogfight: the many unkown objects are very distracting while pressing "h" to search for your opponent. Might want to change them to "neutral"

Dang I just changed those objects from hidden so you could see the names.  I didn't notice the problem with "h" targeting them though.  If I change them to neutral they will show up red when targeted.  As for the Thunderbolts I don't think I can do much about that.  It has to do with default vs dogfight secondaries.  Other ships have the problem too but I haven't tracked them down yet.  This is a know bug and I think it's already in Mantis.  I'll probably just put a note in the mission description about it.

@IPAndrews:
- TBP is mindlessly fun online, it plays great. BtrL is nice with its glide and thrusters but extremly fast. In TBP on the other hand, it's more tactical than about reflexes
- I used the following to play: I copied the (for example BtrL) multiplayer config file (which is in "data" and is named "fs2open_pxo") into the TBP/data. Then you need an account here http://fs2netd.game-warden.com , as usual. You start TBP (not Inf) and create a multi pilot, take care of all the settings under "mulit" and voilà!

I didn't even go that far I just ran it without a config file.  I got a failure to connect message but the server still showed up.  I'll have to give that a try though. 

Did you happen to try the Minbari TvT or dogfight?  The TvT was fun even against the AI.

Offline Vidmaster

sorry no. We tried the b5, the Liberty Port and a gauntlet mission he made. I told him what to improve but it already looks good.

FUBAR, it might be a very good idea to add music. I prefer music. I REALLY prefer music.  :)    I WANT MUSIC !!!    :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I knew I forgot something.  Any suggestions on music for the missions? 

Actually it seems I didn't forget to do it I just forgot I did it.  Every one of them has music set.  Vid the ones based on your backgrounds even have the same music set that you used in the missions.   The NWTR one is set to Battle of the line.   

Oh and I see what you mean by the "h" targeting thing.  I'll work on that. 

Looks like that is a game bug.  In TvT they aren't targetable using "h" but in dogfight they are.  Off to Mantis to see if it's know.

Well it wasn't in there but is now.  On to the next question.  Should I leave it that way and hope it gets fixed at some point or do I make them hidden from sensors again?  I like the ability to see the ship names and stuff as it looks like a lot of work went into those stations.  Guess I could just make and a version of the missions with them hidden and note the reason why.  Then they can be deleted in the problem is fixed.

Is it considered loosing it when you talk to yourself in a thread?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:12:04 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Current versions:

Dogfight targeting bug versions

New for today:

I also did a Shadow dogfight but it isn't usable as no Shadow fighters have secondary weapons and there is a bug that prevents dogfights from starting unless all ships have secondary weapons.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:53:39 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline Vidmaster

IP, now that multiplayer is progressing nicely, we may try to ask to get official support from http://fs2netd.game-warden.com , instead of hijacking the BtrL or any other server place. It wouldn't require any additional work on the core or something. We only need a channel and bundle the corresponding pxo server config with the new version...       ...AND EVERYBODY CAN PLAY TBP ONLINE!

one more thing: the single mission pack (still available here: http://www.filedomain.net/manager/ ) contains a multiplayer mission. FUBAR, since you seem practically in charge of multiplayer development so far, consider extracting it  :)
It had speech and an interesting concept. Hopefully it's still compatible.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:57:39 am by Vidmaster »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
IP, now that multiplayer is progressing nicely, we may try to ask to get official support from http://fs2netd.game-warden.com , instead of hijacking the BtrL or any other server place. It wouldn't require any additional work on the core or something. We only need a channel and bundle the corresponding pxo server config with the new version...

Fubar. Vidmaster. Hip63. Can you guys make this happen between yourselves and the PXO people? I am happy for Hip63 to add the required files to the 3.4b release. I'd prefer this doesn't cause a huge delay though. Please can you get on this now with a view to releasing a multiplayer enabled TBP 3.4b next week?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

I'll try, FUBAR you concentrate on missions.

EDIT: Sended request. Let's wait.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:57:05 am by Vidmaster »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
one more thing: the single mission pack (still available here: http://www.filedomain.net/manager/ ) contains a multiplayer mission. FUBAR, since you seem practically in charge of multiplayer development so far, consider extracting it  :)
It had speech and an interesting concept. Hopefully it's still compatible.

I'll check it out.  If it doesn't work I pretty sure I can get it working again. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Haven't had time to check that out yet but I just ran into 2 new problems.   First TvT won't allow you to start without secondaries either that means shadow fighters are out for now.  I suspect other races will have the same problems.  Second there are ships that don't have tech info for multi player.  Guess whoever was making them never thought there would be and multi-player.  The following values are either totally missing from the ships or only some are there:

+Length:
+Gun Mounts:
+Missile Banks:
+Armor: 
+Type:
+Manufacturer:
+Maneuverability:

Shadow and Vorlon fighters don't have and values.  The Whitestar has only some of the values.  Haven't checked the rest.  I don't think it hurts anything other then the player deciding what ship to take but it will probably cause a million questions about it to be asked.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Adding 2 more to the list.  One from me and one from Vid.

Make that 4.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:54:09 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Haven't had time to check that out yet but I just ran into 2 new problems.   First TvT won't allow you to start without secondaries either that means shadow fighters are out for now.

When you say "won't allow you to start without secondaries". What does that mean exactly? Does this mean the mission gives you an error message if you try and start without actually carrying missiles on your ship? Or does it crash? What exactly happens?

It's also worth noting that to stop debug builds bugging me I made every class capable of carrying a secondary. Usually a Shokrai if there's nothing more appropriate. Although for ships where secondaries aren't appropriate at all I gave them SBank carry capacities of 0.

Please can you mess with the tables and figure out exactly under what circumstances the problem goes away. Then we can decide if it's a sacrifice we want to make. Personally I'd rather have no Shadow Fighters than Shadow Fighters carrying Minbari missiles.

Second there are ships that don't have tech info for multi player.  Guess whoever was making them never thought there would be and multi-player.  The following values are either totally missing from the ships or only some are there:

+Length:
+Gun Mounts:
+Missile Banks:
+Armor: 
+Type:
+Manufacturer:
+Maneuverability:

Shadow and Vorlon fighters don't have and values.  The Whitestar has only some of the values.  Haven't checked the rest.  I don't think it hurts anything other then the player deciding what ship to take but it will probably cause a million questions about it to be asked.

Does this data appear in single player also? Can you produce a ships.tbl with this data completed?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=1278

When you try to commit the loadout it pops up a window that says something like "there are ships without secondary weapons" and won't allow you to continue.  Although I did noticed one time I was able to bypass it by not going into the weapon selection screen in a TvT.  I just locked and committed from the briefing screen and the message didn't come up.  Strangely enough I did not think there would be a problem as I tested the Thunderbolt and did not get the message.  I'll have to try that again. 

Wonder if it's possible to make a weapon that can be loaded but not fired.  Like a fire rate of 0 or something.  Put a little N/A pic for it.  Might be a workaround until the engine is fixed.

Offline Vidmaster

you may use the "lock secondaries" sexp  :)

I had a bug with the Narn Seeker missiles too, when I spawned, the secondary bank showed blank (not "---", it was "2        ") and they could not be fired. After the first respawn, it worked.

still no answer from the GameWarden admin

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You want to have a word with Taylor about that rather than MatthewPapa actually I suspect.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]