Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 229740 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Semi-official new people thread!
omg what have you done to carl lol
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Well, one of my star wars roleplaying whatsies was a British Shivan. His name was something I never really could remember.

Besides, read the Freespace dreams thread, and look at my post. You'll see why i used the username.

Offline wtpfssb

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Hi, just registered. The passion of this community has inspired me to give these games a chance, though I'm not a modder myself. :)

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
Welcome to Hard-Light! I hope you enjoy your stay!  :)
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline bmwbmc

HI everyone. Just registered. Been lurking here for  some time, after coming across hard-light.net by accident. I was shocked(pleasantly) and amazed to see all this interest in Freespace. I thought i was one of the last ones (like a dinosaur) to even remember this game. None of my current friends have even heard about Descent or Freespace and i was sure these games will soon be lost in time. Yet, here we are, to what seems to me a universe of information, all dedicated to Freespace :D
So glad to see all the developement that's been going on and the wealth of new misisons that are sure to keep me flying for quite a while. I've no words to describe the admiration and respect towards all that contributed to keeping Freespace alive, and boy it is kicking!!!
I'm not a modder myself, not even an expert pilot of some sort. I started falling in love with the first Descent series. I remember in highschool, staying after classes with my mates for hours to play Descent on 4-5 computers. That was a lot of fun! And after playing all the Descent back to back over and over again i discovered Freespace. It was so...something else! Coming from the insides of the mines of Descent, with that mini ship, suddenly everything became huge. All these new controls, the wingmen which were actually much better than me, the enemy that behaved like there was a real person piloting their ships, the weapons...oh boy, i was hooked.
And so many years later, i felt the need to go back, actually looking to see if there's any news about a  new Freespace. I know now that's not the case but i feel like i found here much more than i bargained for.
Thanks to all that put an effort into all that's been going on around Freespace, i'm loking forward to go through all that's playable.
It took me a while to figure out what's what (Freespace Open, mods, media_vps) and i'm still half confused but i bought both Freespace and Freespace 2 from GOG.com and after a few attempts i managed to be able to play ST:R as the original one didn't make sens at all to me and left a slight bitter taste in my mouth.
Now i'm half way through it, playing on medium, getting crazy trying to achieve all the bonus objectives. It's hard, really hard for me (did i say i'm not a great pilot?) but so far i only had to lower the difficulty for the hellfire mission :banghead:, and managed to save only one pod in Betrayed. But as hard as it is, finishing one mission after retrying over and over again is certainly gratifying.
Sorry for the long post, might seem boring but i wanted to let you know there's one more happy(when finishing a mission) pilot in the terran fleet, doing his best to vanish the shivans.
(apologies for any spelling mistakes, tried my best, but english is not my native language)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
:welcomeorange:

It's always good to see new people on here
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
@bmwbmc:

That's great to hear!  :)  I did notice that you like Descent... Descent 1 / II / 3 can all be purchased on GOG as well and the sort of equivalent to hard-light.net for Descent is D2X-XL  (link in my signature below this post).  If you are interested, give that a go as well.

There are quite a few Descent fans here on HLP as well.  ;)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
There are quite a few Descent fans here on HLP as well.  ;)

Hi.

I believe Mongoose here used to be Top Gun on the old PlanetDescent site.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Still am, technically.  This is the only place on the Internets where I'm a goose. :p

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
Heck, I still have the demo of Decent 3, maybe I'll give GOG a look on Thanksgiving break.  ;)
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Keep the demo though, it's got a different mission that is sort of a prologue to the main series.  Although they did port that mission to retail D3.  I've got all that stuff.. somewhere.

Here ya go:

jr2's Descent 3 Modpack on GameUpdates.org

Offline bmwbmc

Great news there for me about Descent! Although i haven't played it in years and now i'm too caught up in the Freespace world, but i will defo look it all up.
About Freespace i was wondering what are you people using for piloting and dogfighting (obviously the keyboard is needed), joysticks and if yes what kind or the mouse?
Has anyone tried Belkin's gaming mouse/speed-pad, the one with blue back light? Is it helpful in any way?
Also watched a few of DeltaQuantum's vids on youtube (a few ST:R missions) and my god, i feel he(or she) is from another world :eek2:. Like shivan tech superiority over terran's at the start. Is everybody here at that level in piloting? 

THERE HAVE BEEN OTHER DEBATES ABOUT JOYSTICKS
i just found them now:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78751.0
Apologies for asking a question before searching the forum.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:13:46 pm by bmwbmc »

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm pretty sure QuantumDelta is one of the very best, there aren't many of us at the same level (I know I'm not :)).

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
There are many more threads then that, including one where a bunch of people posted their control settings. Worth looking into if you can find it. People use all kind of controls form pure keyboard to trackballs to full HOTAS. While I feel the joystick is the most immersive (but as a joystick pilot, I could be just a bit bias...) there are great pilots of all control types. Find the one you like the most and stick with it.  :yes: Perhaps even join a game of multi to see how others fly with their preferred style.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
QD is the best keyboarder around here. Battuta's a keyboarder as well, I believe.

I still fly my ship like a car, though. :lol:

Keep the demo though, it's got a different mission that is sort of a prologue to the main series.  Although they did port that mission to retail D3.  I've got all that stuff.. somewhere.

Here ya go:

jr2's Descent 3 Modpack on GameUpdates.org

Nice collection there. For a long time, I used to listen to the game rips done by other people. It was only until last year that I found out how to extract D3's music myself.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:55:13 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline aeon48m

• Trying to make SGWP3
    • Minecraft
Hi everyone, joined a while back but didn't get around to posting until now. Been playing freespace for around two years, and it's quite possibly one of the best games I've ever played, although I haven't found this forum until a while back and I haven't made an account since a month or two ago.
"Hell, ultra-AAA's are more powerfull than the sgreen, but then again, those are meant ot literaly sodemise fighters with their long powerfull shaft."

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Hi everyone, joined a while back but didn't get around to posting until now. Been playing freespace for around two years, and it's quite possibly one of the best games I've ever played, although I haven't found this forum until a while back and I haven't made an account since a month or two ago.

You've come to the right place
Welcome. You will now be assimilated into our ranks. Your distinctiveness will be added into our own. Resistance is futile
"No"

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
RESISTANCE IS BEER
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Nash

Hello i joined a few months ago but i had not found this thread so i thought i would stop by and say hello.
I think that what you have done with freespace is awesome. I am working on a few mods myself.
I hope to make something to give back to a community that has given me so many awesome mods to play. Also this is a great way to learn to model ships and stuff. I find freespace open a great way to be creative and have fun.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:46:06 am by Nash »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Welcome!, stay tuned for more awesum sauce.
el hombre vicio...