Author Topic: Viewing an Apollo causes CTD  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Voyager

Viewing an Apollo causes CTD
I'm having a rather interesting problem.  Whenever I see an Apollo fighter, my game does a CTD.  It was fine in early missions, and Valks don't have issues, but the Apollo causes problems. 

I'm on the first mission you get shields, so that might have something to do with it.

The setting I'm currently at are
D:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe -mod Fs1_port_3,mediavps -jpgtga -mipmap -dualscanlines -rearm_timer

Windows 2000 SP4
Radeon 9700, Catalyst 6.3
Athlon 1800+

Any thoughs on fixing this?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Viewing an Apollo causes CTD
It's a SCP bug that's been fixed.  Either disable mediaVPs or try this build:
http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/testing/rc7dot9.rar

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
May I have a link to the reference of this bug? I think the build in your link solves a camera crash problem that I've been plagued with (the error that I get can happen with virtually any ship though, despite everything being in proper working order).

EDIT: Confirmed, the 369RC79 build solves a problem I've been having in two of my test missions involving a modded Apollo and standard Ulysees. The problem's not with the POFs - even if I change the POF, I still get the crash. I'll test my older missions to see if they still crash, once I re-add the stuff used in those missions back into my tables.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 01:21:09 am by asyikarea51 »
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Voyager

Ok, I downloaded the .rar, extracted it, and put the files into my fs2 directory.  It seems to have fixed an issue I was having with the mediavp Herc II, but Apollos still seem to cause a CTD.

Is there a way to run the FS1 Port without the MediaVP files throug hthe launcher, or do I need to cook a commandline short cut up for it?

Harry Voyager

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I think it involves editing of the mod.ini in the FSPort folder.

Looking at the mod.ini now, you can just null out the whole [multimod] section, since only the MVPs is involved. Not too good with INI's though, so maybe someone can explain a more correct way to do it...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
It's a SCP bug that's been fixed.  Either disable mediaVPs or try this build:
http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/testing/rc7dot9.rar

Please, take notice that RC7.9 has a serious AI bug, so use it only for testing purposes. Many missions can fail because of it.

I think it involves editing of the mod.ini in the FSPort folder.

Looking at the mod.ini now, you can just null out the whole [multimod] section, since only the MVPs is involved. Not too good with INI's though, so maybe someone can explain a more correct way to do it...

Please read Karajorma's FAQ or Installing MODs or -mod flag help in FS Wiki.

Basically, all you need to do is erasing 'mediavps' from 'SecondaryList' in mod.ini. (Remember that this list has the used directories in your System, many times you have to edit it because you have not installed the files in 'mediaVPs' but in 'mediaAdditions' or whatever. There are no compulsory fixed names just conventions).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 04:01:10 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Please, take notice that RC7.9 has a serious AI bug, so use it only for testing purposes. Many missions can fail because of it.

Checked with one of my missions in which I use docking for arrival and departure cues.

Since RC7.9 fixes my camera crash bug, I just edited the mission. It's a testing mission anyway, so changing their arrival and departure points shouldn't matter that much to me.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I had a similar problem to the one initially reported, but I fixed it when I removed the HTL Apollo, which I'd installed for coolness.  IIRC, the HTL Apollo isn't in the mediaVPs.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The variant of the HTL Apollo that I'm using for the older of the two Apollo variants in Twist of Fate has no glowpoints (due to a limitation in modelview) and works fine. It uses the original FS1 maps.

http://upload2.net/page/download/2bVQiv6p8edS7Og/fighter04.POF.html
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta