Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 147478 times)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Well I missed Tuesday obviously. Sorry.  :p I was at the coast all day working on a house with my dad. Anywho, I'd be up for this weekend, and I'd be happy to try hosting, but I need to know which version, where I can get it, and which maps we'd like to try.  :) I'm hoping you guys know better than I which version works best.

[edit]The new model is niiiice. Can't wait to see more![/edit]
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 mu
Regarding the two DBBs, I can provide a little explanation over that.  DescentBB.net is the "original" DBB, which has existed at that address for several years.  A few months ago, several long-time community members had a...let's just say, "falling-out"...with the DBB's leadership, and they formed their own version at DescentBB.com.  .Net is the place you'd want to register and be active, since that's where the D2X-XL subforum is.  That's all I'll say on the matter, since there are still quite a few people in the community somewhat sore about it.

Wow, karx11erx, I had absolutley no idea you were able to get Eagle's GX in-game.  You just keep pulling off one amazing feat after another. :) As soon as I get back to school, I'm finally getting around to creating a fresh D2 install and running D2X-XL, so I can (attempt to) show these HLPers how it's done. :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
yeah, please try the mission with D1 3dfx. D2X-XL does handle the special D1 trigger types, but this trigger has no attributes at all when viewing it with a level editor (I tried both DLE-XP and DMB2, in case I had messed up something in DLE-XP that had been working in DMB2). Though it is possible though, I can't quite believe that a trigger put right in front of a blue key access should do nothing.

I played that level in D1 3dfx and that trigger doesn't do anything there either. It looks like it's just a bug in that level. There are two locked secret doors in that room with robots behind them, which are probably supposed to open when you fly into that trigger. This seems to be unrelated to the crashes though; they also used to occur with the (working) open door triggers in the ONP secret level, which work fine now.

Concerning your DBB registration: The DBB has changed servers a few times recently, which has caused login problems by users who didn't clear their cookies after such moves. You may want to clear all cookies and access it via http://www.descentbb.net, maybe that helps. If not, I'll ask KoolBear about it (he runs the DBB). He will certainly be able to help you out. :)

Thanks for the help. I tried removing my cookies out though but am still unable to register. It let me sign up at www.descentbb.com a few days ago, but that was evidently the wrong board.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
CP5670,

please read your PM.

All,

expect to see real time shadows not too far ahead in time. ;)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Trying to play singleplayer on insane, is insane,
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
lol, I went through all my collected levels on insane about two years ago (through normal D2 Win95) and the boss fights in particular were pretty brutal. :D

I'm all tied up with homework until Tuesday, but will be pretty much free after that if anyone wants to try setting up a game again.

hmm when i double click the 1 tracker i get it says sorry your version of descent 2 does not match the version in use for that game!?!?! and i got the data file from you!

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Check my D2 site regularly for new D2X-XL versions. That's a bug I fixed a while ago.

Offline Gunteen6

• Don't let life get you down! Get up! Go!
    • S31-IKS Parent Boards
Hey, i'm back guys! have there been any updates?
Gunteen6 is now S31-Syntax! If I could change the name, I would!

Offline watsisname

Welcome back! :)
We pretty much gave up on getting the games running (ran into a lot of bugs lately), but it might be cool to try it out again and see if we can get it working, possibly even get a bunch of people playing together again.

I dunno, anyone up for trying it out again for old time's sake?
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
OT: Was there ever a patch for D3 that resolved issues it had with some sound cards (like mine)? I loved that game so much.

Offline Ulala

I'd be happy to give this a go again. :) I could put up my server again since people seemed to be able to join it pretty well. If there's some genuine interest, let me know and I'll put a server up.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
OT: Was there ever a patch for D3 that resolved issues it had with some sound cards (like mine)? I loved that game so much.
Which exact issues are you referring to?  I don't believe I've ever heard of any widespread problems with a specific sound card.

Offline BUBBALOU

• Technician / Habitual Line-stepper
If you guys want some HLP vs DBB I can arrange that.  In fact I can be the DBB and you can all fight against me!! :) 5 on 1 sounds fair

Most of us Play on KALI Descent server

I rarely use direct IP because people post their internal IP address their router gives them

there were no soundcard issues with D3 just user error, use direct sound(not with EAX) thats all
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 09:53:09 am by BUBBALOU »
VIRTUTIS GLORIA MERCES

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm up for it. My final exams for this semester ended two days ago, so I have a lot of free time during the next few weeks.

On a side note about D3 bugs, I tried playing the game recently but was running into a strange problem with the render depth setting. If I set the slider to anything above the lowest setting, the game automatically reduces it to the minimum a few seconds into the game. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Ugh, I need to get a new power strip so i can plug my joystick back in, then i'l play.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Ulala

Just say when. :)

[lazy] Also, can someone link me the d2x webste? I don't think I still have the latest version anymore. [/lazy]
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
On a side note about D3 bugs, I tried playing the game recently but was running into a strange problem with the render depth setting. If I set the slider to anything above the lowest setting, the game automatically reduces it to the minimum a few seconds into the game. Is there anything that can be done about this?
To the best of my knowledge, not really, although I'm not sure what my own copy does.  I seem to remember it being a standard bug.  It shouldn't really cause any adverse effects in-game.  Just keep in mind that you shouldn't expect SCP-level graphical performance. :p

Offline watsisname

Just say when. :)

[lazy] Also, can someone link me the d2x webste? I don't think I still have the latest version anymore. [/lazy]

http://www.descent2.de/

And how does next weekend sound for everybody?
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Ulala

Thanks. I'll get updated. Everyone else who wants to play should too, so we're all on the same page.  :) Next weekend might work for me, but even if it doesn't, I'll put up the server anyway.
I am a revolutionary.