Author Topic: Prototype  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Looks like an insanely cooler version of Fracture :yes:

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
It seems to be pretty weak compared to inFamous.
Very few reviews yet, Activion seems to have hold it back until launch which is always a bad sign.

IGN has the first review and it's just average in their mind.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Davros

apparently plays alot like the hulk which they also developed

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
From the few reviews so far, it's looking a bit better than Infamous.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I saw the Steam ad, that's it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
mmm... looks like a mere sonic type of game... going everywhere destroying everything fast and high, or like hulk but without the muscules and the green stuff... not that interesting to me, for weird stuff I just replay Bioshock.
el hombre vicio...

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
"Maximum strength."  :nervous:

Offline Vidmaster

better than inFamous? I doubt that, inFamous is incredible fun.

But hey, I'll give it a chance.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The reviews I saw seemed to indicate it was meh compared to Infamous.  Which is to bad since even ZP liked Infamous and i don't have a PS3.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Vidmaster

ZP liked it? Wow, I need to watch that video to believe it.  ;)

EDIT: Saw it. A really fair review. (unlike for example the Uncharted one. Uncharted is the best PS3 game to date and ZP decided to hail the game a KKK propaganda product. Okay, it was funny  :D ).

Seriously, the game is that good. It's a game that wowed me, problem is I already posted in that thread before playing it the first time  :lol:! GO BUY IT!

Interesting that some reviews about Prototype praised the huge draw distance and the fluid controls while others complained about the small draw distance and the stiff controls.  :nervous:
From the trailers, I'd be with the later.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:23:09 pm by Vidmaster »

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Prototype's web of intrigue is interesting. Reminds me of Prey's cutscenes.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
i found it very entertaining. Like how as the game story develops so does the surrounding city :)
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Vidmaster

the main story is actually well done :yes:.

The rest of the game is it's downfall. Controls are stiff and overloaded, there are far too many abilities/combos included and the combat system is pretty much button mashing. Mayhem, yes but not the furious but very tactical and controlled mayhem of inFamous. The city is also underdeveloped and the side missions suck bad (especially since NONE is related to the game, they are pretty much all just stupid challenges without any reason of being there).

If it's the choice between inFamous and Prototype, go inFamous.  :nod:

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
No, get Red Faction: Guerrilla and support [V]. :D
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

RF:G isn't on PC yet for some odd reason, and it will probably be a crappy port that requires a gamepad in order to not suck.  And no, I don't have a 360 or PS3.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I loved the game, thought it was a ton of fun - the main story was nonsensical and kind of stupid though; you would talk to characters maybe twice and then they'd do some game changing twist, or, here's a good one, the commander of the ground forces (Taggart) was in exactly one cutscene in the background in the very beginning of the game.
Spoiler:
One of the last missions has you hunting him down, and all Mercer keeps talking about is how he hates to have to do this and damn you Taggart and generally carrying on like, you know, he's actually been mentioned in the last ten hours of gameplay.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Necroing an old topic from the depths of the dead.

Last week I bought Prototype off from Steam fairly cheap, I regret not getting it last time it was on discount. As for the choice between Prototype and inFamous, it was fairly easy! InFamous is not available for PC. :p

In any case, Prototype is a lot of fun despite its flaws. Unlike a lot of games, Prototype manages to make the player character feel like he's actually damned strong and fast. There are a lot of different moves you can pull off, the downside is that usually you stick and learn only a few of them because it's at least to me impossible to remember all of them. The world is filled with plenty of different missions, but as said before, they're mostly challenge type missions designed to suck up player's time. Doing them rewards you with experience points (or whatever they were called) and allows you to buy ability upgrades. So they're kind of essential.

But most importantly. The game is fun to play! Eagerly waiting for Prototype 2 which should come April next year.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah I agree, in spite of this game's obvious flaws it's a blast and I really enjoyed it. The story is dumb but presented in a cool, engaging way and it has a couple chilling moments (learning about PARIAH for instance).

Offline Davros

Just went to play it and I swear to god, it has disappeared from the Sacred Terabyte of Gaming Goodness