Author Topic: RELEASE: Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within Teaser Demo v1.0.2 [CLASSIFIED]  (Read 24951 times)

Re: RELEASE: Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within Teaser Demo v1.0.0 [CLASSIFIED]
@Novachen: Just copy one of the files in the models folder (one of the benefits of having this not VP'ed :D ) and rename it to hornet.pof. Woutersmits had the same issue, but it got fake-fixed.

For the Shivan Comm Node, ask the creators behind it. Maybe the LODding mechanism. That one's beyond my control.

Check the table whether the subsystem is there (or just look into the MVP tbm, where it's done correctly).

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Here's the attachment. Replace the weapons.tbl inside the Tables folder.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, was atleast able to start the first mission with the new weapons.tbl. But after some seconds i get repeately another error message that throws me out of the game. Can continue it, until for the next few seconds.

Could not find index 'Weapon' in type 'HookVariables'

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [string "weapon_hit-sct.tbm - On Weapon Collision"]:188: in main chunk

1: Userdata [HookVariables]
2: String [Weapon]

Also i can not change any difficulty and volume options :(
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline m!m

@Bryan See: :nono: The high resolution UI is not intended for usage in a mod yet. It can cause serious problems if used wrongly so please remove it again. It will also restore the ability to use the options screen...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
@Bryan See: :nono: The high resolution UI is not intended for usage in a mod yet. It can cause serious problems if used wrongly so please remove it again. It will also restore the ability to use the options screen...
Only the barracks and the login screen are workable at the least. I'm glad to help, after releasing this mod.

EDIT: Here's the rocket-ui.cfg to disable the options menu for now.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Maybe playtest the mod, or make sure it even launches, before releasing it into the public. For good measure, ask several playtesters to test it.

I've applied tons of jury-rigged workarounds to get the mod to work, and I have to say, with the uncontrollable spinning, completely broken weapon scripts, a mission so chaotic it makes FRED lag, and about two thousand other issues I could write an entire book about, you really need some help from other, more competent developers.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I have *almost* made it to the end of first mission. However, of course, it crashed. Now, before I hack into the branching M2a/b/c via the Techroom, I'm going to point out some stuff.
Reply rant:
Hidden Text: Show
Yes, I did.
No. You didn't. For us, users who have their FSO installed normally, it takes at least half a dozen dirty workarounds, mostly centered around removing your "innovative" scripts and functions that break the game right away. Oh, and you totally screwed up your default mod configuration which caused multiple game breaking issues. If you ever EVER attempted to try and launch your mod on a fresh FSO installation, just like a normal user who wants to play your mod would, you would immediately notice that you crash when installing it, crash when starting it, crash when loading the game, crash in the main menu, crash in the Tech Room, crash in the F3 Lab, crash when loading any mission, crash in briefing and loadout selection and then crash in random moments during the mission.
And if you did check debug logs for error messages you would find all the things mentioned before and: a quarter of the ships used in the mod missing ANY model files, several having obvious and horrendously huge holes in their geometry and a third of remaining ones not having ANY textures.
A VP archive has limitations I do not know yet. Maybe I was thinking some efficient and lighter alternative to the VP format. :)
Again with these "visionary" ideas? The VP file format is very, very light and efficient, has got no limitations which can concern you even years ahead, it's extremely simple to implement in anything and you have got multiple tools for quick and easy creation/modification of these archives without any issues. Also it's the standard way of FSO and modders alike handling packing up their mods for everyone's convenience.
FYI: Yes, VPs have got limitations. Namely, file names cannot be longer than 31 characters and the total size of the archive can't exceed about 3 gigabytes (IIRC) for obvious reasons. And if you hit any of these limitations, you're very definitely doing something wrong. And you know how did I get that knowledge? I have read the really short Wiki article on VP file format. (And then asked our wounderful FSO magicians a couple questions just to be sure.) Your response makes me pretty sure that you're totally incompetent and literally too lazy to educate yourself.
"FSPort doesn't work at the moment." means that I haven't tested FSPort, with the Terran and Vasudan species not added to the species defs table.
You're contradicting yourself. Not only you're functioning in an universe where Terrans and Vasudans are long gone, but you also want to throw another piece of something that totally does not fit the rest onto this hideous pile of garbage. Besides, with this kind of mod you should cut down on assets as much as possible - who cares if you add two whole races' worth of ships and stuff to your mod if it's only dead weight that doesn't get used in any mission at all and only increases download size and system requirements.
[...] helps developers to find and isolate bugs more quickly. We wanted to improve the FSO engine.
Inability to launch the game and then to launch any mission and then to make any progress helps developers with anything? And you attempt to speak something about improving anything in FSO, especially singlehandedly? That's funny.
How to make the mod semi-working:
1. In Knossos, switch to any build that is dated 9th Dec 2018 or newer for this mod,
2. Then in FSO Settings -> List Type -> Launcher disable the only flag ("Store launcher config in portable location"), press "Save" and leave the window,
3. Find your mod data (usually it will be in a directory above other FS2 mods) and either replace data/tables/weapons.tbl with the one provided by Bryan See in one of the previous posts (although the attachment will disappear in a moment) or go to data/models, make a copy of any .pof file and name it "hornet.pof",
4. Go to data/tables and remove weapon_hit-sct.tbm.

This should make your game at least load up the first mission and not crash immediately when you enter the battlezone. Please post any other ways of improving stability.
Gameplay experiences...
Okay, it's a mess. Uhhh... No, mess isn't the right word to describe it. It's a catastrophe. You used the most childish approach possible to get your plot going (literally mix everything from every sci-fi around without any plot and add nothing from yourself). Missions are like "just throw lots of ships into space and tell them to shoot each other". I can definitely see "coding" of Shivan messages stolen form Trimurti. Player's objectives are just to mindlessly shoot stuff. No introduction to what's happening, the player is just thrown into deep water with no knowledge about anything just to do shooty stuff. Weapon and fighter selection is huge, but that doesn't help with selecting anything. The ingame dialogue (which is on average a total of 15 lines per mission, pathetic) is either totally uninformative or thrown in the middle of battle when you can't read anything on this tiny scaled hud with this ugly and tiny font. Most characters speak like they're some super edgy 13 year olds who just learned the word "****" and try to use it everywhere to be "coooool". The whole point of the initial BoE mission is to enable cheats and ~K anything until it crashes, of course. The performance of this mission is terrible: jokes about single-digit FPS numbers never have been so true. I don't even know what more to say about this. It looks like a joke.
This is the perfect example how not to make a demo of something. Or how not to make a FS mod. Oh, pardon me, how not to make anything. Do you want to know what is a good demo of a FS mod, Bryan See? Try Between The Ashes: Mefistofele. It was awesome, inspiring, and very very climatic and interesting. Please, play it and look at it properly. Experience what makes a mod and a story - good.

Also, Bryan See, be sure to click all three "SHOW" buttons nextto "HIDDEN TEXT:" tags. And then make sure to read all of it thoroughly.

My suggestion is: update it to at least not crash, and then leave the whole mod alone. You tortured it enough already. Maybe start FREDing some tiny minicampaign based on retail assets. I guess nobody would have been as angry or would make as much fun out of this if you didn't advertise this all around the place so aggresively.

I can feel I'm in trouble after posting this.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

@Bryan: did you actually figured out how Asteroth translated the messages in Trimurti, or did you just took them without knowing what's written there?

Also, did you make the PBR maps of the Murugan/Monarch just by renaming the -shine maps to -reflect?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
NOTE: Knossos can be configured to download recent nightlies by setting "preferred engine stability" in the Knossos tab of the settings menu to "nightlies." Update your SCP "mod" in Knossos to download the latest nightly build, then select it as you would any other build.
Please don't tell users to change their settings. This can affect other mods as well and have unintended side-effects (there's a reason we have "stable" and "nightly" releases).
If you specify the correct FSO dependency in your mod, it'll work even if the preferred engine stability is set to "stable".

Main: Nebula
Please don't link directly to files on Nebula. There are a bunch of reasons why that's a bad idea:
  • The URL might change in the future which would break your link.
  • You only listed one of three servers. This means all of the download traffic goes to that single server and isn't distributed. It also means that people won't have a backup link in case the server you linked to is down.
  • You'll have to update that link each time you release a new version of your mod.
Besides, you've already linked to the landing page on FSNebula which already contains the correct download links for the latest released version making this completely redundant.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Also, did you make the PBR maps of the Murugan/Monarch just by renaming the -shine maps to -reflect?
He did not... But I have no idea what kind of black, forbidden magic he used to make his -reflect maps. Raguel look like covered by snow, and use both -shine and -reflect.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Raguel look like covered by snow

It is christmas time after all ;)
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

He did not... But I have no idea what kind of black, forbidden magic he used to make his -reflect maps. Raguel look like covered by snow, and use both -shine and -reflect.

I compared the maps with version from BP. He did it...

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Downloading now, I'm excited to play this!
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.

I'm so sorry...
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
@Bryan: did you actually figured out how Asteroth translated the messages in Trimurti, or did you just took them without knowing what's written there?

I think not, because Trimurti only used 0, 1 and 2... but i got messages that began with ADJ3 ^^. But well, the decryption make no sense at all here in this campaign, because there is a normal briefing and messages at the beginning of the mission. But sometimes the Shivans use the encrypted language... why?!

Well, i gave that one a try finally.

What i have to say?... After i played through the first mission, i am not sure about what this campaign is all about... or to say, i do not have any idea what i have played here.  :nervous:

The story is a enigma for myself. Actually it reminds me from the "New Folder" campaign (no idea where i find this one back then), that consists of 76 unnamed missions with no messages and objectives... but at least you were able to shoot stuff and have some battles against capital ships. But well, Shattered Stars is better than this fortunately.

But on the downside... i would still prefer to play Independence Warriors or Second Great War Part 2 again ^^. Because both of them had a much better explained story than this one... and well, i think most of their mission made more fun than the first mission of this campaign. Not even sure, why i should continue this campaign? It was not able to suck me in at all, because it looked like a mishmash and a campaign without any arc of suspense.

But some hints nevertheless: There are ships and weapons without any description in the ship selection and weapon loadout screen... so i am actually do not have a clue what i can equip there.
There are also many ships which do not have a Radar Image... but other one have one.

The Balancing... well, actually there does not seem to be any.
The balancing between all the different ships and weapons is even more from hell than the Shivans themself... i actually feared that in a one-man project which simple throw every ever released community-ship into the cauldron (or sort of...). I mean... why i can shoot down a Heavy Raider with two hits... but even the Red Cock things, what seem to be more of an interceptor, are better armored... where is the point in this?

Even i like the background, i am not sure if you should keep the red color for enemies... actually i have difficulties to see the target bracket... or use Hotkey function for the enemy wings, you have to destroy, so that you actually can see where they are. (and do not forget to inform the player about the Hotkey via directives)
Also you should check the hud_gauges.tbl, because the missile lock was offset the actual target.

And also... well, because of all the missing textures, i have the impression, that you had start this as a normal FS2 mod, but simple forgot to carry over the needed FS2 textures as you made it stand alone... so there are countless holes in the ships i actually only seen in mods, that were years ago and were designed for much older FSO versions.

And last but not least... what i have to do in the first mission at all? Even i shunt all the energy into the Engine i was not able to reach the installation in time to protect it... and after that, actually you do not have to do anything, because it is enough that you order your shivans to protect the destroyer... they will destroy all attackers without problems and the enemy fleet is down before they even launched some nukes. So i am actually able to sit there for 20(?) minutes and watch some fireworks. Now i know what all the story of stealing of happynewyear is about ... because watching fireworks is the thing i do at new years eve ^^.

Actually i also do not have any idea, how to reach any of the branches, because the course of the mission did not gave me any indicator what could be different to reach another mission. I am given command over an shivan capital ship in the next mission and did anything for that, because i end the mission with 0 kills and 0 assists  :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:18:10 am by Novachen »

I know it might be too late, but could you please finish all INFR2 missions before playing this masterpiece? I think it would be benefitial for INF to have you with sanity intact... :D

Actually i also do not have any idea, how to reach any of the branches, because the course of the mission did not gave me any indicator what could be different to reach another mission. I am given command over an shivan capital ship in the next mission and did anything for that, because i end the mission with 0 kills and 0 assists  :D

:rolleyes:
It's soooooo easy:

You just have to...

Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( and
      ( = @sd1Continue[0] 1 )
      ( and
         ( not
            ( and
               ( <
                  ( distance "Shiva 1" "Polycephaly" )
               )
               ( facing "Orthrus" 30 )
            )
         )
         ( not
            ( and
               ( <
               )
               ( facing "Polycephaly" 30 )
            )
         )
      )
   )
   ( do-nothing )
)
+Name: Branch #1
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1

to pilot the cruiser. I think you have to depart at the end for this one.

( and
      ( = @sd1Continue[0] 1 )
      ( and
         ( <
         )
         ( facing "Orthrus" 30 )
      )
   )
   ( do-nothing )
)
+Name: Branch #2

for mission b.

( and
      ( = @sd1Continue[0] 1 )
      ( and
         ( <
         )
         ( facing "Polycephaly" 30 )
      )
   )
   ( do-nothing )
)
+Name: Branch #3

for mission c.

Or isn't "Unite" just self-explaining, in particular for a branching point?

Offline Novachen

• Twitter

:rolleyes:
It's soooooo easy:

You just have to...

Or isn't "Unite" just self-explaining, in particular for a branching point?

Nope, because i actually understand unite with "Return to Base" or in Shivan speak "Unite with your mothership"... so i simply jumped out. And that lead to the Cruiser mission which is... well.. not even half as fun as the first mission...  :(. Not to speak of, that the objectives and directives are solved at mission start already.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:07:31 am by Novachen »

"Unite with your mothership"... so i simply jumped out.
Yes... but since the story doesn't mention the name of your mothership, you might end jumping away from it, resulting in your execution and recycling as Shivan baby food. Think about it.

@Bryan: while this might come across as blablabla the way it is written, please take note that if branching is a major point in your campaign, you might want to give the player understandable hints what to do.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
"Unite with your mothership"... so i simply jumped out.
Yes... but since the story doesn't mention the name of your mothership, you might end jumping away from it, resulting in your execution and recycling as Shivan baby food. Think about it.

You... have a point.

But that would mean, that another Shivan have to fly such missions and i am out of this...  ;7