Author Topic: Objecttypes.tbl  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Just thoughts on how to improve it.. Well ideas if nothing else... I talked about this to WMC earlier.

In any case i checked a few things about the ship types after i got my cpu back running and at least to me it seems that creation of new object or ship types is a tad problematic as the new ship are AFAIK currently unable to get any of the more 'ship flags' like wheather they are big ships or not. That is there are lots of hardcoded 'SIF_FIGHTER', 'SIF_CRUISER' etc types that are used for these checks. So as it probably would be a daunting task to get all the various options handled via these flags into the objecttypes.tbl would it be easier to get a single one of these to be used as a 'templete' for the newly created ship type (though it probably wont be that much easier either).

That is like 'new' gunboat ship type could probably 'loan' hardcoded values form some other ships rather than be left totally without any...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

You should be able to specify a "fighter" or "bomber" flag in ships.tbl along with the objecttypes.tbl class, IIRC, if you want those hardcoded values. It's not an ideal solution, and will probably cause trouble if all the values are ever copied into objecttypes.tbl and someone tries to simplify ships.tbl, but it does give you access to those hardcoded values.
-C

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
:bump:

One clarification... If i do extend the objecttypes.tbl via tbm or just make a new tbl with all existing entries and then some.. And i would still want to retain or add hardcoded settings of certain 'retail' ship type to one of the new entries what should i do? I mean is there some precedence order in the entries in ships table flags line. Ie. is ( "fighter" "new ship type" ... ) the same as the ( "new ship type" "fighter" ... ) or what? It would probably use object type 'fighters'  hardcoded settings in either case but which one would use the objecttype.tbl values of the new object type?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Fix the bug where you can't change the orders assignable to the supercap class (adding more assignable orders in the table has no effect).
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.