Author Topic: Meet The World's Largest Descent / Freespace Collection!  (Read 11382 times)

Offline Gold Leader

• Gold Squadron Lives!
    • My Personal Gallery
Meet The World's Largest Descent / Freespace Collection!
Here is something I always wanted to show this place, after giving each of the 95+ items it's own sub gallery section.
What I did was create sub folders to all the parts of the collection, this took me half a day to sort out rofl  :lol:  But hey it surely make it worth while doing right :)

Here you have it people, on October 24 this year I have been collecting for a good 17 years ...

Descent Series

Descent 2 Series

Descent 3 Series

Descent Combo Packs

Descent Linux Series

Descent Macintosh series

Descent Playstation Series

Descent Books

Descent Mini Posters

Descent Mouse Pads

Descent Misc Items:

Descent Freespace Series

Descent Freespace 2 Series

Descent Freespace Combo Packs

Descent Freespace Books

So there you have it all 89 items, some may ask why I collect these well, Descent & Freespace have very well thought original designs and since day one they were released as demo's I got hooked to them and wanted only more and more and now this is my result, collecting these games has always been on my mind first you like it a lot then it becomes an addition then it becomes an obsession, no matter the more I can find the greater the thrill!

My latest achievements were these:

Descent3: Mercenary USA Pre-Release Factory Sealed + NOT FOR RESALE Decal under the seal on the box :)

Click to Enter!

Great and many thanks to a good friend of mine from USA for this one, a gift of many words  8-)

The Interplay 20th Anniversary Edition is finally achieved and obtained :)
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360301497899&ssPageName=STRK

Finally it is Mine :D :D

The Entire Freespace Collection as it is of now 8)

Well, that was Freespace so far, it's smaller than I thought it would be, but very interesting none the less.

The latest addition was this interesting package from from MasternX a guy that has a contact with one of the cleaners that worked @ Interplay HQ back in 2003 to 2004, when it was being cleared whafter it shut down.:)

So here's the parts in a one shot:

That frame hung in the Interplay HQ Office hallways, them CD-R's are host software of Descent 1 and 2, the one with the scratches is the Descent 1 Alpha disc, this is where it all began before it was going final, the one from 1996 is the host disk for Descent Anniversary Edition me thinks hence the date of the disk, unless some Interplay Employee's can help me out here!

Anyways this came to me all thanks to MasternX from this website:
http://forums.my-collections.eu/

However I just left that place, somethings didn't feel right, ah well no matter, sometimes it's best to leave a place before all hell breaks loose  8)

Okay here it is, only two items missing within the uber shot, which is the Interplay 7 level Descent Demo USA mini boxed:

&

BytingEdge International Inc. USA Descent 3-D Air Combat 7 Level Descent Demo

And they are within one of them many boxes and no I am not gonna do this again, since I just tidied up rofl, So to relay it all for just two lousy items? uhm no rofl

Here the entire lot:

And only the boxes which is like 70% of the entire collection:

Anyways it's Ultra HUGE! And yeah it's bigger than I though it was really! Crikey it even scared me rofl

I also made a little tributional video of this with Dire Straits - So Long 

So yeah, since October 24, 1994 til this very day, it was well worth doing and yes I will keep on collecting if I come across something I don't own yet, don't worry my friends, it will keep growing as long as I keep finding new items to add to it 8)

The only ones I seek now are these in boxed or factory sealed condition:

Descent: First Strike for Apple Macintosh:

Descent II: Counterstrike for Apple Macintosh:

Descent 3: The Saga Continues for Apple Macintosh:

So yeah it's pretty much complete now 8)

Anyhow as the last half year goes, I have had mixed feelings about all this, of like selling it, but hey after at looking on what I have gathered all them years, I have decided to keep it all for now, it is a unique thing after all right.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:51:19 pm by Gold Leader »
Holder of The World's Largest Descent/Freespace Collection.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Meet The World's Largest Descent / Freespace Collection!
 :eek:

...They made a Chinese version of FS 2?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Gold Leader

• Gold Squadron Lives!
    • My Personal Gallery
oh yeah they sure did, I bought that off ebay from a chineese selelr he was selling them as left overs from an old stock, I did have to mail the selelr if he had one new factory sealed also showed him my collection , just to make sure that I am not some bogus guy asking him this and he was like omg! for you not a problem at all and yeaps 5 days later it arrived :D
here more pics of it:

It has a lot of bright colors hehe, makes it look pretty, the chineese seller also told me that this one is written in Traditional Chineese :) Always handy to have around for the extra detail, I mean you can read it but deciphering it , that is something else hehe

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
WOW. I've finally sort of met a game collector. I'm impressed, sir.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Gold Leader

• Gold Squadron Lives!
    • My Personal Gallery
heh yeah thanks man pleased to meet you as well  :yes:

2 years ago I was kinda looking for a good Freespace community and this one looked kinda big and very well fitted togeather, wvwn I joined 2 years ago I lost the website heh  :nervous:

Many things have been going on and I guess I lost trace of this place until yesterday one of my Descent Rangers clan mates Cpt.Zaph showed me that a Freespace 3 is in the making:
http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/02/08/some-at-volition-would-commit-murder-to-make-freespace-3/

Which was more like some possible event that might be taking place and then this place came to mind! So hey guys I am back from the lost and found rofl  :lol:

Now this place has been added to my favs on all my systems, not planning to lose this place again righty  :D ;)  :cool:

As the collection goes? the main thread is here @ Interplay, I am Obi-Wan Kenobi there btw ;)
http://www.interplay.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=912&start=70#p37337

My goal is to show and tell Interplay and the other vendors that help bring these game series to the world, that there is still interest inDescent & Freespace and also by collecting the original versions only that being not them 3rd party afreleases like from White Label and similar, this way I also have the for reference on how many Box arts were used for such a small game series.

Feel free to use the photo's from my gallery to point out game versions of the game I'm all fine for that, it's just a neat archive of what Parallax Software, Interplay, Vollution, Outrage, MACPLAY and Loki have made for us   :)

So let's hope there will be a Descent 4 and a Freespace 3, this way I can extend this collection as well, make an even greater and more detailed archive and by collecting all these old originals was a lot of work, but yeah it surely paid off allright since October 24, 1994 to this very day on February 22, 2011  :cool:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:57:28 am by Gold Leader »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Was the Chinese version voice acted?

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
 :jaw:  Sir you have my respect and admiration! WOW!  :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Gold Leader

• Gold Squadron Lives!
    • My Personal Gallery
@ Snail
The Chineese version was indeed in Chineese afaik, but I prefer to keep mine factory sealed, no way Ia m opening it, it's rare as it allready is hehe, it was one of them once in a life time finds :cool:

@ Wobble73

Thanks mate Iwas happy to post it here since Freespace is also a very important part of what I collect, it was made by the makers of Descent and it's by far the best Space Combat Flight Simulator made , it even makes Wing Commander looks not that hectic anymore, even though that Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom was my fav in the Wing Commander series.

Besides these games I also came accross these, non Descent /Freespace games, just a lot of good games, Space Combat and Flight Sims that were made from the past :)

The rarest one of the lot is this Command & Conquer Red Alert2 + Yuri's Revenge Limited Collectors Edition with T-Shirt & Die-Cast Metal Hat Pins :cool:

The shirt shows a lot of weathering sadly, I do try to obtain another one of these, even how hard they are to trace heh.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Jealousy's not the word......
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I wonder what the Chinese is for "Incoming jump signature! Hostile configuration!"

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I'm not sure about 'Incoming jump signature!' but 'Hostile configuration' would be something along the lines of '敵對隊形' I think.

That's actually simplified Chinese FYI, and like all translated titles, that one is lulz-worthy.
(It uses the characters for space as in 'area' instead of 'outer-space')

Offline watsisname

Welcome back to the community!

Gotta say I never expected to see something like that Chinese FS2 box -- what an excellent find!
Nice to see that you have the Descent novels, too.  Those are still some of my favorite reads. :)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Topgun

WTF Descent III came out for linux!!!!!!!!

Offline Gold Leader

• Gold Squadron Lives!
    • My Personal Gallery
hehe thanks for your warm welcomes hehe, yeah Loki released D3 for Linux, the CD's that were used were either CD-R's from TDK or Philips btw, it it is 100% original not some illegal copy, Loki was the small company that released D3 for Linux, hence the different platform when compared with Windows or Apple Macintosh, there is also a D3 for Apple macintosh, although that is one Istill amseeking same for D1 and D2 USA, which I posted in the first post as the only 3 I seek of the older Descent series.  :cool:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
WTF Descent III came out for linux!!!!!!!!

Yup. . . it was never very stable, however. Better off running it in a VM

Offline Gold Leader

• Gold Squadron Lives!
    • My Personal Gallery
So any other collectors over here? Do you people also use Mumble to chat with during ingame sessions?

The Descent Rangers to where I am a part of uses Mumble or Kali mostly and we just run games on the Kali servers or a hosted game from one of the main game hosters :)

Offline Gold Leader

• Gold Squadron Lives!
    • My Personal Gallery
Anyways great news people :) Gengi from Teh Descent Rangers has sent me a version of Descent 2 that he did not find in my collection, and he did show me it and indeed it wasn't in here, he sent me one factory sealed to me this morning haha

So within 10 to 12 days we will know more :) Anyways, I'll be installing Freespace2 again on my main system, I just feel like flying again, are there any Co-Op games played with FS2 also?

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
*looks at pics*

"Amazing.....!"

*notices lack of Tachyon*

Insert Vader style Noooooooooooo here.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well he did specify "Descent/FreeSpace collection." :p

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
True... but he's got that non FS collection there... a good portion of that I've got...
But it has a distinct lack of Tachyon in said pictures....

I happen to have some liquid Bruce Campbell here in a syringe *squirt* if he wants some...   :D
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod