Author Topic: MISSION 3 BUG - Ship jumps far away from main map and travells backwards  (Read 3032 times)

MISSION 3 BUG - Ship jumps far away from main map and travells backwards
In mission 3 (first non-training mission), shortly after the third cylon base star jumps in, my ship suddenly jumps (not warp, but a sudden cut) really far away from all of the ships and continues to travel away from the ships... After a while, the mission ends because I have been killed in a collision with one of my team.

This is while using a fs2_open from svn, because I get a lua error when compiling the included fs2_open, which i think uses 5.1 instead of 5.2

i will play with a debug build and report any findings...

Re: MISSION 3 BUG - Ship jumps far away from main map and travells backwards
I'd say it sounds like you're being hit by something jumping in. Does it happen every time, consistently? And which team member are you 'colliding' with? IIRC, if you travel too far from the playing field, the FSO engine will kill you by (somehow) colliding you with yourself.

Once you've played with the debug build, there should be a file called fs2_open.log in your Diaspora/data directory (on Windows) or in ~/.fs2_open (on Linux); that file contains most of the information we need for troubleshooting.

I dont think im being hit by something that jumped in, i jump after the third basestar jumps.
I always collide with blue 1.
The bug is reproducible when the guy says that the FTL drives are ready and i should return to theseus.
What is strange is that when i look at the far away ships, they seem to move around a lot, like they are vibrating, so either the ships or my ship is vibrating (likely the latter)...

i cant get a backtrace because there is no crash but here is my fs2_open.log

i will repost after i have added debug_filter.cfg

[attachment deleted by ninja]

here is fs2_open.log after debug_filter.cfg added (zipped - too large)

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Code: [Select]
Entered mission_do_departure() for Blue 1
Acquired departure path
Entered mission_do_departure() for Blue 2
Acquired departure path
Entered mission_do_departure() for Blue 3
Acquired departure path
Hotkey: Pruning Blue 2
Hotkey: Pruning Blue 3
nothing ok to fire
nothing ok to fire
nothing ok to fire
(...)
nothing ok to fire
nothing ok to fire
nothing ok to fire
nothing ok to fire
Entered mission_do_departure() for Red 1
Acquired departure path
Entered mission_do_departure() for Red 2
Acquired departure path
Entered mission_do_departure() for Red 3
Acquired departure path
Hotkey: Pruning Red 1
Hotkey: Pruning Red 2
Hotkey: Pruning Red 3
nothing ok to fire
nothing ok to fire
(...)
Interesting... From what I can see, something's very wrong with the end-of-mission departure. Now, since you seem to be the only one who has this issue, the logical suspect would be the non-standard FSO build you're using. How difficult would it be to get the official Diaspora build running on your setup?

It would be very difficult. I cant even get it to compile, because the old fs2_open uses lua 5.1, which it can't find. Ive even tried the step at the bottom with the same result.

Ive been told though by someone on IRC that all of Diaspora's fs2_open code has been merged upstream so that shouldnt be a problem. Perhaps a Diaspora dev would like to help out :)?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
What is strange is that when i look at the far away ships, they seem to move around a lot, like they are vibrating, so either the ships or my ship is vibrating (likely the latter)...

This is probably a result of being so far from the origin of the mission.  FSO stores co-ordinates as floats which are less & less accurate the further you get from the origin (0,0,0), and this produces the vibration effect that you see (i.e. large discontinuities appear between adjacent co-ordinates and ships jump between these two points in space as your viewpoint moves).

Anyway, on your original problem, I didn't think that FSO supported lua5.2 at all just yet.  I recall making some changes to configure.ac to stop FSO looking for lua5.2:
http://svn.icculus.org/fs2open?limit_changes=0&view=rev&sortby=file&revision=9477
Perhaps you could try building using the as-provided Diaspora 1.0.4 source with just that one extra patch applied?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

It would be very difficult. I cant even get it to compile, because the old fs2_open uses lua 5.1, which it can't find. Ive even tried the step at the bottom with the same result.
I mean, would installing the lua 5.1 libraries cause you any problems? What distro are you using, and do you use lua for anything other than fs2_open?

Diaspora devs may correct me if I'm wrong, but the ship departure might well be scripted, using lua 5.1. In that case, your bug could simply be caused by a version incompatibility.

whats even more interesting is that my ally ships (blue 1, red x, etc) are also very far from the main battle - i noticed that when they speak because it shows a gray crosshair as to where they are and they were really far away and vibrating (thanks niffiwan btw for explaining the reasoning behind that), before I also suddely appear there...

@ niffiwan, ah, i thoght that it used 5.2 because of the newer version and the errors, but I will try that patch (git apply *.patch ? EDIT: nvm).

@ FreeSpaceFreak, i use arch, but i think the lua problem may have been resolved by niffiwan... + Why would the departure be scripted before the jump even happened?

Using 3.9.18 of fs2_o fixes the problem :)... So this problem only affects the 3.6.19 version from svn.

@ FreeSpaceFreak, i use arch, but i think the lua problem may have been resolved by niffiwan... + Why would the departure be scripted before the jump even happened?
Oh I don't know - I don't have the modpack at hand, so I'm just speculating :)

Using 3.9.18 of fs2_o fixes the problem :)... So this problem only affects the 3.6.19 version from svn.
So the bug was introduced after 3.6.18? That's probably something the devs should know. Could you file a bug report on the bugtracker? And if you'd be willing to narrow down a bit on which SVN commit caused it, that would be awesome.

Hrm, again on the sabizius refuel mission, exept this time i think the theseus jumped instead of me, just when it said something about 'theres no telling how long it will be untill the cylons get back' or something, then I crash with one of my teammates again...