Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270020 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Even with CASE, an ammo explosion is usually equivalent to a mission kill, as you'll be losing the location and any attached to it (going outward). If you have the misfortune of mounting an XL engine and one of your side torsos blows up, it will even mean 2 (Clan) or 3 (IS) engine crits, meaning you'll be severely impaired.
That depends on how the 'boat in question is set up. Some designs can stick ammo in the arms, and many dedicated missile mechs have weapons split across the sides, so if you've got CASE, you only lose half your firepower with an ammo explosion. By no means a small loss, but wouldn't render the 'mech completely nonfunctional. Of course, that won't help you if you happen to have an IS XL engine, but since missile boats are usually LRM launchers (besides the Jenner IIC, I haven't heard of SRM boats being terribly popular), you could probably afford using a standard one. And of course, once you get to 3100s, CASE II is a must, that pretty much takes care of ammo explosion problems.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I guess I never managed to overheat an ammo-using 'mech enough to actually pop the ammo (I did redline it a few times. Must've been lucky). I usually went in with a PPC boat, occasionally backed by missiles.

Retail MW2 had ammo explosions, but not from overheating, only from weapon fire.

It did actually have explosions from overheating. It just took a very long while.
As in very very long.

Offline Patriot

Just be glad Gauss Rifles don't explode when destroyed, as they should be. Oh and TACs, be glad those aren't in either :P

Offline Aesaar

MWO Gauss Rifles do explode when destroyed.  But since it's just 20 damage, it's not particularly noticeable.

Offline Patriot

ah, that explains a lot :(

Offline Al-Rik

Using a Joystick in the left hand for MWO. Anyone give it a try ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-TbKe30KtCc

I get my old Saitek ST290 back from the loft to try it out, but I only take some turns in Testing Grounds, not real battle.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:32:26 pm by Al-Rik »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm using my throttle and pedals for movement, and the stick for aiming. Works in MW2 and MW4, works here too.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

Well, some news from the front, unless you already know.

1. They released the Kintaro, but it's suffering from a notorious CT hitbox issue, to be addressed September. Don't know on the Flea or the Orion.

2. They adjusted the heat scale and categorized by weapons (I honestly lost all respect for the Large Pulse Laser, given the circumstances, it's just plain unworkable now.)

3. For some players with crap system specs, the FPS toilet plague is mostly over, starting with the 12v12 patch.

4. Terra Therma. Oh, and yes, the lava burns, but only if you sit still.

Irrelevantly, I sold my Catapults and started with the JagerMechs. (Well, after two weeks of grinding Blackjacks... yeah.)
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Wait, I can probably play this game now!

Anybody got recommendations/advice/whatever for a rookie?

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Well, some news from the front, unless you already know.

1. They released the Kintaro, but it's suffering from a notorious CT hitbox issue, to be addressed September. Don't know on the Flea or the Orion.

2. They adjusted the heat scale and categorized by weapons (I honestly lost all respect for the Large Pulse Laser, given the circumstances, it's just plain unworkable now.)

3. For some players with crap system specs, the FPS toilet plague is mostly over, starting with the 12v12 patch.

4. Terra Therma. Oh, and yes, the lava burns, but only if you sit still.

Irrelevantly, I sold my Catapults and started with the JagerMechs. (Well, after two weeks of grinding Blackjacks... yeah.)

So, the same news as the past N-hundred patches?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
This game has failed so hard bloody hell what a disappointment.

I still have a whole bunch of premium time waiting to be activated. But then I read that they actually decreased cbill gain, so now seems like an even worse time to activate it.
It's also still the same bloody game as it was since launch. Just a bit more polished with more mechs and 12v12. But I'm really not interested in grinding death match after death match with the only goal to have a new mech... which I will then play more deathmatch with.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
The thing that bugs me?  People (some of them) think the constant balance patches count as some sort of progress.

I had to explain to quite a number of people how, unless the netcode was being seriously (which I doubt) worked on, there was very little actual effort being put into the game.

Hell, the fact that they're reintroducing the hit box issue tells me that they've had that model ready for release for quite some time. They're probably just sitting on a stack of them, releasing them every now and then to keep their core user-base paying for premium time.

Although one good thing did come out of this: it cemented in me the idea that open game development does not work and is not to be trusted.

[/rant]

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I'm glad they recently fixed some of their framerate issues, but as far as game content is going, yeah, it's really disappointing.  They've mentioned that they are working on including scripted events and AI in the future, which probably means new game modes, but knowing how bloody slow their software department tends to work I expect at least another 2 years before that happens.  2 years of them not actually bothering to step outside their admin god powers and get a sense for how the game plays for people who don't have the ability to manipulate the account databases at will.

Their art department is godly, however, and I would not be surprised in the least if they have a massive collection of 'Mechs ready to go at launch. 

Yes.  First 25 matches you get the 'Cadet Bonus,' aka 7.5 million C-Bills to buy your first Mech with.  Save it until you know which weight class suits your play style best.  My knowledge is very limited on mediums and lights because I suck at them.
Things to know about assorted Heavies and Assaults:
  • Dragons: Good jack-of-all-spades mech, it excels at nothing but can fill many different roles.  Its arms are oddly low, so sniping with it can be a pain.  It is fast, and for a pilot who can be in the right place at the wrong time (for the enemy), it can **** up all the ****.
  • Jagermechs: These bad boys are the Chimera/Bellerophons of the BattleTech universe.  They can pack a devastating wallop (see twin Gauss or twin AC20s) and have excellent weapon placement, making them ideal sniper mechs.  They are, however, glass cannons, and should NEVER be used to brawl or duel.
  • Catapults: These take some getting used to.  Not suited for front-line trolling unless you have really good situational awareness.  More survivable than Jagermechs, have a larger torso twist range and are decently fast.
  • Cataphracts: For when you want to Jager at people without dying as quickly, Cataphract is the way to go.  More armor than a Jager with many of the same weapon options.  Has an issue with all its weapons being low-slung, making shooting over cover difficult.
  • Awesomes: In the Table Top version, the Awesome truly was awesome.  In MWO, it's a glorified death trap.  Prone to massive heat issues and light armor load, the one advantage it has is a high top speed for an Assault mech.  Personally never played an awesome, but they tend to blow up quite a bit.  Primarily energy/missile based.
  • Stalkers: These do exactly what their name says they do.  They are nightmarish steel zeppelins of death.  They usually have more tonnage than hardpoints or critical slots than they know what to do with, and can boat lasers or missiles with extremely devastating results.  They are very slow.
  • Atlases: The gods of the battlefield, the Atlas is truly the king of BattleMechs.  It has more armor and firepower than any other chassis on the field, enough to make its appallingly low top-speed a moot point.  These tend to be the most expensive, but they can fit such a large variety of weapons behind enough armor that just one can turn the tide of a battle. Piloting an Atlas will make you the center of attention, however.
  • Highlanders: Originally built for base defense, the Highlander is a good all-around Assault Mech.  It carries a decent missile, energy and ballistic loadout, and as icing on the cake has jump jets.  It is less heavily armored than an Atlas or Stalker, but can carry more than enough weapon systems to fight sniper engagements, standoffs, brawls and duels.  Highlanders tend to be the 2nd or 3rd most-shot-at Mech.
  • Victors: Basically light Highlanders, the Victor can do much of what the Highlander can do, but with less armor and more speed.  If you like mid-range skirmishing or surprise flank-attacks, the Victor will not disappoint.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

I'm considering saving up for the Highlander as my next 'Mech after my current Cataphract-4X.  90 tons is a lot of weight to mount guns and armor with more speed than the lumbering Atlas.  Probably going to buy the Highlander-733 and convert it to a Gauss sniper with medium lasers and Streaks and normal SRM's for when things get close.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Before I gave up on MWO, I was planning to get a HGN-732 and boat PPCs. I might get back to it once there's actually something to do.

PPC's aren't as useful as they once were. It seems to me like the last patch lowered the heat sink efficiency. But that may just be me. I have two of 'em loaded on a Catapult K-2 and those kick major ass if you're smart about heat. (Just have a cool-running backup weapon on hand for when the heat inevitably does get too much).

Currently messing around with my SDR-5D, tweaking it to get maximum performance. It is still a blast to use... when you're in a light 'Mech, it feels like your job is basically to troll the enemy team as much as possible, which is pretty fun. Slapped a TAG laser on so I could spot for the LRM Boats, this can seriously turn the tide of battle.

Also considering saving up for some Stalker variants as my Misery is kind of my primary 'Mech at this point, and I'd like some of those Elite tweaks on the pilot tree.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

I'm glad they recently fixed some of their framerate issues, but as far as game content is going, yeah, it's really disappointing.  They've mentioned that they are working on including scripted events and AI in the future, which probably means new game modes, but knowing how bloody slow their software department tends to work I expect at least another 2 years before that happens.  2 years of them not actually bothering to step outside their admin god powers and get a sense for how the game plays for people who don't have the ability to manipulate the account databases at will.

Their art department is godly, however, and I would not be surprised in the least if they have a massive collection of 'Mechs ready to go at launch. 

Yes.  First 25 matches you get the 'Cadet Bonus,' aka 7.5 million C-Bills to buy your first Mech with.  Save it until you know which weight class suits your play style best.  My knowledge is very limited on mediums and lights because I suck at them.

I wish one of us could go to the San Francisco Launch Event and express our disappointment.

As far as Mediums go:

- Centurion: It's a nice Mech, particularly noticeable for being referred as a "FrankenMech" (meaning if you're not XLed, you can still operate well with a side torso popped). The A is versatile (good at harassment/light hunting, most used weapons are 3xSRM-4 or 6, 2 MLs, and an AC), the AL can carry punch-packing energy weapons, and the D is a high-speed Mech (having an engine cap of 390).

- Blackjack: The 1X is an efficient laser boat that has slightly more firepower than the Jenner-F, the 1 and 1-DC are decent for ballistic/PPC sniping, and the 3 has Double Heat Sinks right out of the box. These are more like mini-JagerMechs.

- Hunchback: Treat it like you would use it for ambushes (this is one of the definitive urban fighters, used right), and unless you're using the 4-SP, they will always aim for your Right Torso (as that is where the majority of weapons is housed, the SP is symmetrical).