Author Topic: Question about an auto-aim mod  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Kayael

Question about an auto-aim mod
Hi everyone, I'm late to the party and new to the Freespace universe. I'm using Knossos and I currently finished Freespace 1 and Silent Threat Reborn, I had a real blast though I'm typically a couch player, so I'm not really keen on keyboard and mouse but I'd rather use a joypad. Using Pinnacle Gaming Profile  I made a suitable profile for me, but the lack of auto-aim made me struggle in some battles.

I searched around and found only this thread here talking about it : https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91605.0

I tried this method :

You can drop an -aip.tbm in whatever data/tables folder you want with the following info:

Code: [Select]
#AI Profiles

$Profile Name: FS2 RETAIL
+nocreate
$Player Autoaim FOV: 1,1,1,1,1
#End

Change the values to whatever you want (1 is good for a bit of aim assist while still feeling like you have to try), and save it as something like auto-aip.tbm.

I already made a tbm before for scaling gauges, so I thought putting this one in the same folder would work but it's not the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks !

Re: Question about an auto-aim mod
$Player Autoaim FOV: works in degrees, not radians. 1 degree isn't really going to be very noticeable, try bumping that up to 30, seeing if that has any effect, and then troubleshooting from there.
Also FSO should fully support any dinput gamepad or joystick and only the triggers will be problematic for xinput ones so you're probably better off rebinding controls in-game rather than using software to map your gamepad to keyboard presses.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Things that comes to my mind-
-1. Is the tbm in an active mod folder?
-2. Is it a tbm? Some programs enjoy adding .txt at the end of the filename.

Offline Kayael

$Player Autoaim FOV: works in degrees, not radians. 1 degree isn't really going to be very noticeable, try bumping that up to 30, seeing if that has any effect, and then troubleshooting from there.
Also FSO should fully support any dinput gamepad or joystick and only the triggers will be problematic for xinput ones so you're probably better off rebinding controls in-game rather than using software to map your gamepad to keyboard presses.

Oh you're right, judging from videos I watched from mods using it, I thought there'd be some sort or triangle lock-on and that it didn"t have to be bumped too high to have any effect. Tried at 30 and it's indeed working. Silly me.

About the controls, I'm letting the joysticks mapped in game but there's just too much needed mappings for a single gamepad. Pinnacle can bind double commands (single press / double press or long press) and toggle profiles on the fly so  I can deal with wings orders and energy / shields management as well. Pretty handy.

Thanks for the help !

EDIT : I may add that for making this work for FS Port, the $Profile Name must be FS1 RETAIL. FS2 works with FS2 RETAIL. STR works with SILENT THREAT REBORN. since you can add up to 9 profiles, it's pretty handy when mods uses different profiles. For example, my autoaim-aip.tbm for FS Port and STR is like this :

Code: [Select]
#AI Profiles

$Profile Name: FS1 RETAIL
+nocreate
$Player Autoaim FOV: 30,30,30,30,30
$Profile Name: SILENT THREAT REBORN
+nocreate
$Player Autoaim FOV: 30,30,30,30,30
#End

30 is for testing, it's obviously way too big and needs to be narrowed to a value you're comfortable with. Now I can enjoy even more all these great mods !
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:04:26 pm by Kayael »