Author Topic: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil!  (Read 69816 times)

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil! Now with 100% more Dungeon Masters.
So Thog and Elladan have fallen ill.  I won’t suppose the rats and zombies they fought earlier had something to do with this.

The effects of disease are rather long-term, you will be feeling its effects for a while.  If it gets bad, there’s probably an NPC somewhere willing to cast Remove Disease, or at least Lesser Restoration.  But unless it gets that bad, the party can continue as normal.

On a more positive note, Lessiah is feeling better.

Lester identified the potions that the party found earlier.  They look useful.

The party sets off to town to sell their stuff, arriving just before dawn.

The blacksmith seems like a good choice for selling the rusty longswords.  However, the party seems to be having trouble persuading him to sell quality goods…

Yes, I WILL need that masterwork gear available to me later on, when I start enchanting my own equipment rather then buying it.

The blacksmith sells a variety of unusual weapons.

Rusty swords sadly don’t sell for much, but at least its coin.  Lyndus decides to buy herself a third throwing knife, as thrown weapons are re-usable.

Anyone have any idea what a “Siangham” is?  And why does the blacksmith has two miniature examples of them for sale, masterwork quality no less?

A siangham is apparently something like a very small spear. Like an arrow built for melee instead of shooting from a bow.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:27:23 pm by Alex Heartnet »

Re: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil! Now with 100% more Dungeon Masters.
A siangham is apparently something like a very small spear. Like an arrow built for melee instead of shooting from a bow.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Huh.  Interesting.  Think I'll stick to using daggers and shortswords, those are actually referenced in various fantasy works.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The cabinet maker can’t make masterwork items, but he does buy wooden equipment such as crossbows.

And the Tailor will buy the leather and cloth stuff.

Side quest!

Sell ALL the things!

With all the junk sold, the party now has coin again and gets to decide what to do next.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
To the militia captain!!

Let's smack that fool for not letting someone willing join the forces of righteousness.
el hombre vicio...

We don't need to smack him.  We can just have Thog angrily glare at him.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
"How do we know that the militia is actually part of the so-called 'forces of righteousness'?"

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
They better be!!
el hombre vicio...

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
We don't need to smack him.  We can just have Thog angrily glare at him.
thog not feel like glaring. thog too sick to glare. thog too sick to capitalize thog name. thog to sick to use apostropafee. thog to [sic] to use grammar.

thog want to finish cheater quest at inn and thog want take nap and thog want drink.
thog want drink ale.
thog want drink lager.
thog want drink porter.
thog want drink stout.
thog want drink [thog continues in this vein for several minutes after everyone has stopped paying attention.]
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The party makes the mistake of relying on Lessiah’s sense of direction.  Instead of meeting the militia captain, they get lost and find themselves at the Church of St. Cuthbert instead.

Rodd makes a donation to a faith with a dogma compatible with his own.

Rodd gets met with a remarkable unthankfulness.

Turns out the money doesn’t go where the party might have expected it to.

Another donation! Rodd is so generous.

Backstory!

Sidequests!  A battlefield sounds much more interesting then dumb tailor problems, don’t you say?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Donating for the wellbeing of the poor is always a good idea.

*donates 10gp

I would like to speak with the chief cleric, please.
I want to hear what can we, as servants of the righteous Heironeous, do to help the people of this town.

*Calmert asks for another donation

But I just-... wait are you drunk or is your nose always red??

*glares

*drops 10gp more on the box of donation

*Calmert points in the direction of the stairs

Thank you, may Heroineous protect you.

and help you quitting your bad habits.
el hombre vicio...

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Thog sings a few lines from 'The Ballad of Jules and Vincent'
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost necklaces.

Thog supposes it would be too much to hope the priest would cast 'Cure Disease'?
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Thog supposes it would be too much to hope the priest would cast 'Cure Disease'?

Later! First you have to do the quest to earn the discount spellcasting!

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
"HEY!  Wait a minute!  Why is the priest trying to claim that the money is going to the poor, when it is instead going to benefit the rich by building a castle?!"

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Do I count as poor?
I think I count as poor.

Donate money to my masterplan to obliterate all spiders in this world
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Haunted Forsaken Battlefield, here we come!

Random encounter, just a few rats.  Some of our party members have ranks in the Survival skill, so we –could- avoid the furry fiends, but a rat or two is nothing to worry about.

Okay, apparently seven rats is a bit more then a ‘few’ rats.

The greatsword is arguably the best weapon to use in the early game.  It has a nice combination of high weapon damage, STR-based damage bonus from being a two-handed weapon, and the bell curve from using 2 dice to determine damage instead of just one.

End result is a weapon that hits consistency hard.  However, base weapon damage matters less at higher levels, and it is not quite big enough to be considered a reach weapon.

Unlike clerics, mages are not supposed to be competent warriors.  However, D&D is notorious for capricious dice rolls.

I suppose the battle could have gone worse, considering what happened last time…

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
wow! there's some big rat.

*rat attacks

stay still you little devil, it will be swift I swear!!

watch out Elladan, you've got one aiming at your rear!
el hombre vicio...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Keep your eye out for a Swamp Lotus. It usually appears in that swampy encounter map, off to the left.
It's needed for the "cure Ami" quest (you get it from the druid after speaking to the woodcutter about his family)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

If there's a point where a greatsword stops being effective, feel free to move my character to a reach weapon when that happens, just so long as the reach weapon isn't a massive, unwieldy pike or halberd that does nothing but poke enemies.  I'd prefer my character to have something more spinny and whirly like a glaive or voulge.  He is an elf with a high DEX and light armor after all. :lol:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
If there's a point where a greatsword stops being effective, feel free to move my character to a reach weapon when that happens, just so long as the reach weapon isn't a massive, unwieldy pike or halberd that does nothing but poke enemies.  I'd prefer my character to have something more spinny and whirly like a glaive or voulge.  He is an elf with a high DEX and light armor after all. :lol:

No, the greatsword remains useful later game.  It's just that in the late game, there are lots of other things that add to your damage besides the base weapon stats, like weapon enchantments (adds the specified number to your attack and damage, goes up to +5), weapons embued with an elemental bite (additional 1d6 of fire damage on top of the +5 enchantment), STR-boosting equipment, additional damage from having Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Specialization, and Improved Critical, multiple attacks per turn, using power attack to boost your damage against easy-to-hit foes...

Besides, by the time you reach level 10, spellcasting classes will have completely surpassed you in terms of power.  You will be complaining about how wizards are OP at that point.