Author Topic: Weapon pages in FSwiki  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Weapon pages in FSwiki
So... Should weapon pages inform of the actual points of damage values made by the weapon per category or just stick with descriptive terms as it does now? Both? Or something else?

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Talk:GTM_Tsunami
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTM_Tsunami
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Weapon pages in FSwiki
Also should the veteran comments (and all possible non-canon info) be located after the actual weapon entry (including the performance table)?

I'm honestly a little curious why the standard isn't to have the base damage and damage multipliers copied straight out of the table files.  Why give vague, qualitative descriptions of the data, when the quantitative data is so readily accessible?  If a chunk of time opens up in the next few days, and there aren't any fervant objections, I'll start plugging in the numeric data.

Regarding veteran comments, I think the section is outgrowing itself on many of the pages.  It might be prudent to compile all of the veteran comments on one or two pages (one for ships and one for weapons).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Put in ROF values, as wel... one of my biggest gripes with the weapons loadout screens is they sometimes give you the shield / hull damage numbers, but no Rate Of Fire values, so you're left wondering whether to go with a Prom S or Shubach HL-7... turns out they are about equal, but IIRC, the Prom S is a hair stronger, but I like the Shubach because if you miss a shot with the Prom, your whole shot is wasted, while with the HL-7, only half of that value is wasted as you have another shot.... but it all pretty much comes out in the wash with those two weaps.

However, other weapons might not be so evenly matched, so it would be nice to have ROF values...  XD

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well.. You can always compare using this page http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Weapon_Comparison_%28FS2%29

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Cool link, thx!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
So? Anything else?

Offline Shade

I rather like the descriptive terms as they are now. Fits better into the page than a host of numbers would, and if you need exact values you can look it up in the tables anyway.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I always prefer to see exact numbers myself, givent he option. Quantitative data >> Qualitative data.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I would put both:

Power against whatever: Very good (299 u)

In this way you have the exact numbers for in-depth users AND also a descriptive page is much more friendly for most of readers than only a bunch of numbers.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
So.. i take that there wont be any more replies.. ok then.. so i think we'll start adding full damage info into the weapon entries.