Author Topic: Sidethrust and glide  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Sidethrust and glide
I've been playing around with BTRL, and noticed something a bit funny about the way sidethrust is handled with glide. Basically, sidethrust is a lot less powerful when gliding. I've tried messing a bit with the ship tables, but for everything I try the basic problem remains: sidethrust is much weaker in glide mode than in standard flight.

EDIT: The same is true of all thrust, actually. Rear thrust and forward thrust (either manually or via throttle) are also weaker in glide, although the forward thrust difference is the least noticable.

EDIT2: Correction: the forward/rear thrusters are less powerful if $use newtonian damping is enabled. Otherwise, they are more powerful. This is the only difference I notice from changing the "$use newtonian damping" flag.

Is there something I'm missing in terms of ship table adjustments that can fix this? Or is this purely an engine problem? If the latter, is there any hope of change in the future?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:03:10 pm by Sushi_CW »

Re: Sidethrust and glide
Is there something I'm missing in terms of ship table adjustments that can fix this? Or is this purely an engine problem? If the latter, is there any hope of change in the future?

I take it you're referring solely to the BtRL TC demo? I think you should contact the team about your questions, but from what I know a fair number of the team members have abandoned their work on it and are now working on Diaspora. The current BtRL site doesn't have a link to their forum anymore though.

Sorry I can't really help you more.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:02:58 pm by lostllama »