Author Topic: "flicker" problem with OpenGL and fs_open  (Read 6523 times)

Offline mFuSE

• http://mfuse.ads-gilde.net/
"flicker" problem with OpenGL and fs_open
Hello,
i was looking again over some threads in this forum and found out that Direct3D support will be dropped.

We'll, i understand why this will be done, watching the cut scene doesn't work already under D3D (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,45978.20.html), but my PC and OpenGL i have a big problem:

With every mouse click my screen "flicker" and doesn't get the mouse click right (i have to click 2, 3 times before the games recognize it).

I do have the same problem with Homeworld2 for example.
So i guess this is some kind a of a bug with the OpenGL Part of nVidia drivers under Windows Vista x64.

I do not have this problem under WindowsXP.

Is this a known problem and is there a patch or fix available?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: "flicker" problem with OpenGL and fs_open
Graphics card? driver version? Also there is very little that can be done if microsoft doesnt bother to implement proper opengl support into the vista.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline mFuSE

nVidia 9800GTX, driver 180.48 :/

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Have you tried cleaning out the video drivers and then installing fresh?
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I have this problem when running Desktop Enhancement tools that give me multiple virtual desktop spaces.

I have to turn them off when playing.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline mFuSE

Have you tried cleaning out the video drivers and then installing fresh?

yes, it didn't make a difference.
The only workaround is to play freespace in window mode.

I have this problem when running Desktop Enhancement tools that give me multiple virtual desktop spaces.

I have to turn them off when playing.

Is this a feature of windows Vista?
Where can i disable this, if i have it?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, its not a Vista feature. Unless you installed some third-party software, you won't have those functions.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mFuSE

no, i havent installed any further software :/
So i guess until there isn't any Microsoft Update this will remain unfixed?  :(

3.6.9 had worked witch 3D8, but with 3.6.10 even 3D8 have the same problem, so both modes (OpenGL and D3D) doesn't work properly :/

So it can't be a OpenGL only problem?

The same problem have also Homeworld2 - but other games runs fine (even Starcraft or C&C Red Alert 1!)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Actually, it is. IIRC, Direct3D has been disabled in all 3.6.10 builds by default, meaning even if you select D3D in the Launcher, FSO will just use OGL regardless.

Just had an idea: If you click on the "Disable Visual Styles" Checkbox in Vistas' compatibility settings, do you still get the error? (This will disable Aero while running FSO, this might help)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:57:19 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
if your looking for an updated drivers have a look here....

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

or here

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

the latest ones are  182.46....

i would also suggest downloading open gl viewer to see if your missinfg any thing

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/index.html

but good luck
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline mFuSE

according changelog there is only added opengl 3.0 support in newer nVidia drivers .... but i tested them anyway ... still same issue.

all openGL features seem to be supported - but -  actually i have the same flicker problem within the opengl rendertests as in freespace :/

Actually, it is. IIRC, Direct3D has been disabled in all 3.6.10 builds by default, meaning even if you select D3D in the Launcher, FSO will just use OGL regardless.

Just had an idea: If you click on the "Disable Visual Styles" Checkbox in Vistas' compatibility settings, do you still get the error? (This will disable Aero while running FSO, this might help)

oh ok ... :/

i tested already all kind of compatibility modes ... it doesn't make a difference :(

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Maybe its not the video card or the video card driver but something else.

What about removing the mouse driver and reinstalling that?  What is it...Logitech? MS?
- IceFire

Offline mFuSE

Logitech, i'll try a M$ mouse

Offline mFuSE

sadly that don't make a difference :/
mpf ... as soon as i have some time i try the windows 7 beta .... and just hoping for improvement .....

so long scp can at least be played in window mode without any problems ...

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Must be something in your configuration that is causing that...its not common that I'm aware of.

Have you:

1) Run a full anti-virus scan and anti-malware scan?

2) Overclocked your video card or CPU beyond factory settings? (if you're video card is factory OC'ed that probably won't count)

3) Did you try removing the mouse drivers and reinstalling them?  Are you using the additional drivers provided by the vendor or just the stock ones that Windows installs?

4) Is there a setting for your type of mouse anywhere that lets you set the sensitivity of the sensor? (be it laser or optical - you haven't said)

Lots of things to check :)
- IceFire

Offline mFuSE

Hi,
Must be something in your configuration that is causing that...its not common that I'm aware of.
ok, ... otherwise it would be too easy :doubt:

1) jap, so far i can tell it's clean

2) yes, OC, but doesn't make a difference

3) yes, some time ago. I use always the recent available drivers from Logitech, the mouse is a G7

4) yes, it have different modes

But .... everything is exactly in same setup under WindowsXP which runs fine :/

So far the system setup:

Code: [Select]
    Computer:
      Computertyp                                       ACPI x64-basierter PC
      Betriebssystem                                    Windows Vista Business Edition x64 Service Pack 1
      Internet Explorer                                 7.0.6001.18000
      DirectX                                           DirectX 10.1
      Computername                                      MFUSE-PC
      Benutzername                                      mFuSE
      Domainanmeldung                                   [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      Datum / Uhrzeit                                   2009-03-26 / 16:21

Motherboard:
      CPU Typ                                           DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E4400, 3000 MHz (10 x 300)
      Motherboard Name                                  Asus P5E-V HDMI  (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
      Motherboard Chipsatz                              Intel Bearlake G35
      Arbeitsspeicher                                   8190 MB
      DIMM1: Muskin 991558+ (996558+)                   2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
      DIMM2: Muskin 991558+ (996558+)                   2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
      DIMM3: Muskin 991558+ (996558+)                   2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
      DIMM4: Muskin 991558+ (996558+)                   2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
      BIOS Typ                                          AMI (07/22/08)
      Anschlüsse (COM und LPT)                          Kommunikationsanschluss (COM1)
      Anschlüsse (COM und LPT)                          ECP-Druckeranschluss (LPT1)

Anzeige:
      Grafikkarte                                       NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+  (512 MB)
      Grafikkarte                                       NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+  (512 MB)
      3D-Beschleuniger                                  nVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
      Monitor                                           Eizo Nanao S2110W (Digital)  [21" LCD]  (22110085)

Multimedia:
      Soundkarte                                        Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic/Platinum Sound Card
      Soundkarte                                        Realtek ALC883 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-2]
      Soundkarte                                        Silicon Image SiI1392 HDMI @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-2]
      MediaDevice                                       KNC BDA DVB-C

Datenträger:
      IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) ICH9 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2922
      Massenspeicher Controller                         ANTK63QL IDE Controller
      Massenspeicher Controller                         Microsoft iSCSI-Initiator
      Floppy-Laufwerk                                   Diskettenlaufwerk
      Festplatte                                        ST3500320AS ATA Device  (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
      Festplatte                                        ST3500320AS ATA Device  (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
      Optisches Laufwerk                                HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LS30 ATA Device  (DVD+R9:16x, DVD-R9:12x, DVD+RW:22x/8x, DVD-RW:22x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
      Optisches Laufwerk                                NOV RG9EFKD6V SCSI CdRom Device
      Optisches Laufwerk                                NOV RG9EFKD6V SCSI CdRom Device
      S.M.A.R.T. Festplatten-Status                     OK

Eingabegeräte:
      Tastatur                                          PS/2 Keyboard
      Maus                                              Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
      Maus                                              PS/2 Mouse

Netzwerk:
      Primäre IP-Adresse                                [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      Netzwerkkarte                                     Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller  (192. [ TRIAL VERSION ])
      Netzwerkkarte                                     TAP-Win32 Adapter V9

Peripheriegeräte:
      FireWire Controller                               VIA VT6306/6307 Fire II IEEE1394 Host Controller (PHY: VIA VT6307)
      USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801IB ICH9 - USB Universal Host Controller [A-2]
      USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801IB ICH9 - USB Universal Host Controller [A-2]
      USB2 Controller                                   Intel 82801IB ICH9 - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller [A-2]
      USB2 Controller                                   Intel 82801IB ICH9 - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller [A-2]
      USB-Geräte                                        EIZO USB-Hub
      USB-Geräte                                        USB-HID (Human Interface Device)
      USB-Geräte                                        USB-HID (Human Interface Device)
      USB-Geräte                                        USB-Verbundgerät

DMI:
      DMI BIOS Anbieter                                 American Megatrends Inc.
      DMI BIOS Version                                  0601
      DMI Motherboardhersteller                         ASUSTeK Computer INC.
      DMI Motherboardprodukt                            P5E-V HDMI
      DMI Motherboardversion                            Rev 1.xx

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
So when you say you've got something OC'ed but it doesn't make a difference....I take it that means you've tried running whatever is OC'ed at stock speeds?  Changes in voltage or the like?

XP and Vista are different beasts yes...I've had problems in XP that never happened in Vista and vice versa.

The core of my setup isn't that different.  I have a E6850 Core 2, a GeForce GTS 250 512mb (related to the 9800GTX+, same core chipset, etc.  I don't have the 64bit version...maybe there is something in that.  I know lots of people who play IL-2 with 64bit and no problems.

I don't know...thats a toughie.
- IceFire

Offline mFuSE

Hi,

finally i get to test Windows7. And it just works perfectly ....
Although Homeworld2 still flickers, SCP runs smooth and fine.

i really don't know where the difference is, i also installed the Logitech Drivers under Windows7 and SCP still runs fine.
The only thing which isn't installed is creative X-Fi which is only used for my analog headset, so i didn't really noticed missing it while testing SCP....

But, i ha ve to say i don't relly care anymore. I get used to the window mode. Actually i really like it. It let you switch fast to an other window and back to the game without resizing or dropping the game window as it would be if it would be a fullscreen application.

So i hope in future SCP releases the window mode will remain functional :D

[attachment deleted by evil Tolwyn]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 07:51:46 pm by mFuSE »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm pretty sure almost every coder uses windowed mode for testing, and a lot of people doing a lot of mod work use it as well, so I don't think it's going anywhere :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays