Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 148144 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Ok guys, next game is in about 15-30 minutes.  I'll edit here when it's up.  :)
Edit:  Okay, game is running.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 11:57:54 pm by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Great, I'll join in a few minutes.

Man, why can't Comcast do that over here?  That way at least I can extort money from them the way they do from me. :)

Heh, I was particularly annoyed at them since I have some group project due Tuesday in a summer class I'm doing and need to constantly check my email to communicate with the other group members. Although the service costs about $70/month (for the "premium speed" option) and this has been going on for almost four weeks now, so I would much rather have had proper service during that period instead of the extra $30. :p

Anyway, I guess I've derailed the thread enough with this issue.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
$70?! :eek2: :shaking:

I pay 25 Euros/Month for DSL flat (6MB/500 KB) + phone flat ... :rolleyes:

But guess what I just found out? I have some free webspace with my DSL package, but the data transfer is limited to 5GB/month, and since I have my Descent 2 stuff there, it got constantly exceeded, so I paid 282€ of transfer fees during the last 8 months, goddammit!

If I had bought some regular web space from that company, I'd have gotten a bigger account for 160€/year.

Those goddam suckers. :mad2: :mad: :hopping: :no:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I messed with my port forwarding settings, I'm going to try hosting at 10:30 pm EST so look for it at that time (I'll edit this post when it's up.

EDIT

It's up

EDIT

Down now... serves me right for trying Monday night. :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 10:25:00 pm by Mars »

Offline watsisname

If anyone's up for another game tonight, I'm hosting now and I *should* be able to play for a few hours. :)
Edit:  Game is down for a short while, will rehost again shortly...
Edit2:  Ok, back up again.  And I think I'm an editting whore. :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:49:53 pm by watsisname »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Have fun. I'm pretty tied up with coursework tonight and will possibly also be tomorrow night, but will have a lot more time after that.

$70?! :eek2: :shaking:

I pay 25 Euros/Month for DSL flat (6MB/500 KB) + phone flat ... :rolleyes:

That's Comcast for you. :p It's actually the combined price for a cable TV/internet package so it's not as bad as it looks (okay, maybe it is :p).

Offline simX

• D2X-XL Developer for the Mac
    • Technological Supernova
That's Comcast for you. :p It's actually the combined price for a cable TV/internet package so it's not as bad as it looks (okay, maybe it is :p).

Haha, listen to this: we don't have any use for cable TV in our house 'cause we don't have a TV.  Since cable is much faster than DSL, and there's only one provider for each kind of connection, we have to go with Comcast.  To get just internet access, it cost like $60, IIRC.  However, at least in our area, if you get cable TV and internet together, it's an additional $10 for the cable, but you then get a $15 discount off the price of internet access.  So it's actually cheaper to get both cable TV and internet, than to just get internet -- $55 vs. $60.

:shakes head:

That's Comcast for you.  *shakes fist*
"Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set." -- Andrew Welch, el Presidente, Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Woo. I got a copy of Descent 2, installed the files and D2-XL, and i can't seem to find any servers. did I do something wrong here? :wtf:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline watsisname

I don't think you did anything wrong; there probably just wasn't anyone playing/hosting when you checked.
I should be hosting later today, so be sure to check here occasionally and see.  We'd love to have you join us. :)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Yeah, don't worry, unlike some games, there isn't always a game up. It'll be nice to have another person around

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
woo. trying to jury-rig my x52 for Descent 2. It half works, but right now my ship keep spinning to the left. :lol:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I'd be on too, but I think WindowsXP's Command Line hates D2. I installed, and it's running waaaaaay too fast, plus, it couldn't find a working sound card, so.... no sound. Any ideas? (I have D2 working on an old Win98 machine, but that has no Internet connection...  :()
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline simX

• D2X-XL Developer for the Mac
    • Technological Supernova
Woo. I got a copy of Descent 2, installed the files and D2-XL, and i can't seem to find any servers. did I do something wrong here? :wtf:

Cobra, as long as you select "UDP/IP via Tracker", and it says "2 trackers found" near the top of the menu, then you should be fine.  As watsisname said, there usually isn't a game on, unless it's the set of games that we've been having from 8 PM to 1 AM PST for the past week or so.  Check during those times and you might be able to catch us.

I'd be on too, but I think WindowsXP's Command Line hates D2. I installed, and it's running waaaaaay too fast, plus, it couldn't find a working sound card, so.... no sound. Any ideas? (I have D2 working on an old Win98 machine, but that has no Internet connection...  :()

Assuming you're running D2X-XL and not straight D2, then if you post in the D2X-XL forum at descentbb.net, karx (the creator of D2X-XL) will be more likely to see your problem and help you.  (Make sure to read the rules and post in the appropriate thread.)  If you're not running D2X-XL, I recommend you get it: lots of enhancements and bug fixes.
"Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set." -- Andrew Welch, el Presidente, Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Offline watsisname

Ok, game will be up in a just a few minutes. :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
it's saying i don't have the misison Neptune. :wtf:

anyway, i have a game up as well. :D

Offline watsisname

:o  Sorry Cobra, I completley forgot to mention the levels we'd be using and where to get them.  You can find almost all of the custom maps we use at www.descent2.de.  Just look on the left to see the sidemenu, and check out the level spotlight and multiplayer sections.  I'll be sure to post here which maps we'll use from now on, too. 

Also, I'm afraid that tonight is going to be the last night that I'll be able to host D2 games for a little while.  I'll be on a short vacation at the beach for the weekend, and then classes will be starting up the day after I return. :(  Hopefully we might get more chances to play later on, though. :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Let's try to get some games going tonight then. I'm going to be free all night. :)

My fall semester starts on September 1, so I still have a few weeks before I start getting really busy.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
someone get a game up already! :P

i can't host since my router doesn't like forwarding ports.

what port should i put in for the tracker when checking or hosing an onine game?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The port is 28342, I don't no if there's going to be a game up tonight or not, whatsisname is the only person currently able to host, so it sort of hinges on his schedule.