Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 147634 times)

Offline simX

• D2X-XL Developer for the Mac
    • Technological Supernova
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
I'll try putting one up

Should be up now

I don't seem to see it.  Anyone else?
"Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set." -- Andrew Welch, el Presidente, Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Alpha joined without a problem, except for wildfire... snuck up behind me he did... anyway... it's down now, so anyone else up to putting up a server?

Why would some people be able to see it and not others :nervous:

My computer crashed when Nick quit, I didn't exit

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I couldn't see it either. Who's Alpha?

If karx and I can get Mac hosting to work, it's possible that I can put up a permanent server on my computer at work which is always on and always connected to the internet, and has a superfast connection.  University, so none of this asynchronous connection crap of cable and DSL -- it's like a T3 or something. :D

Sounds like just the thing we need. :yes:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
But how to keep it from crashing? And how would we switch missions?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Dear God people, turn your instant messengers on  :p

Offline simX

But how to keep it from crashing? And how would we switch missions?

Well, I do have control of my work computer from home, so it's feasible to change missions and all that.  Also, I was thinking we could just leave the server up as a generic anarchy server as a place to meet, instead of relying on the forums and stuff.

Some sort of way to remotely control the server, though, through D2X-XL would be nice karx.  *wink wink nudge nudge* ;)
"Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set." -- Andrew Welch, el Presidente, Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Offline watsisname

Geez, I go away for 15 minutes longer than expected and it raises a storm from you guys.  ::)
Anyway, apologies for the longer than expected delay, but at least we all got it going good again.  Since Simx could message you all in game I thought it unneccessary to post here again. 

Shaker's Castle was definitely the highlight of tonight. =D  And hopefully someday we can get a game of Entropy going again _without_ messups on the team colors. *hint hint*
And as usual, I *should* be free almost any night for the rest of the week, though I'm not 100% sure about Friday now that I think about it (probably just a 1 or 2 hour game that night).
Anyway, see you all next game! :)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Quite fun tonight... but I still want to know... why can some people see my server and not others?

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
When I tried to play with my brother today, every attempt to connect to his machine resulted in an error "connection forcibly reset by peer", like some firewall or whatever denied the connection. When he tried to join a game I hosted, D2X-XL crashed everytime. I cannot reproduce this problem though. :(

Offline watsisname

Ok guys, I'll be hosting another game at 11pm EST, and will be collecting any bug reports that I can get on the DBB.  Be sure to download the latest version of D2X-XL, too. :)
Edit:  Actually, I've put the game up now, so feel free to join whenever. :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 09:28:13 pm by watsisname »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Sorry, I didn't have any time to play last night. I should be a lot more free over the next few days.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
I have tested the auto-dl on a LAN several times - no probs. Look like it cannot cope with packet loss during internet transfers. :(

Offline watsisname

Anyone up for another game tonight?  Heehee, I'm totally on a roll with game hosting lately. :D
If we play, please use version 1.6.140.  (If it doesn't work, just use the most recent version that does work for you).  I'll be working on getting more specific bug reports to post up with the latest version (the bug report I have currently has too much older crap in it, so I'll start fresh), and we can all test out some more custom levels. :)

Edit:  Game will be up at 11pm EST.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 09:43:15 pm by watsisname »

Offline simX

Anyone up for another game tonight?  Heehee, I'm totally on a roll with game hosting lately. :D
If we play, please use version 1.6.140.  (If it doesn't work, just use the most recent version that does work for you).  I'll be working on getting more specific bug reports to post up with the latest version (the bug report I have currently has too much older crap in it, so I'll start fresh), and we can all test out some more custom levels. :)

Woooooo!  Yeesh, it's been like every night this week.  Haven't had so much computer game fun in... a long time.  Woo!  :D

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Hey, karx, I do have one feature request if "`" (the ~ key) could display about half a screen worth of old messages it would make the texting a little easier.

Offline simX

Hey, karx, I do have one feature request if "`" (the ~ key) could display about half a screen worth of old messages it would make the texting a little easier.

I was thinking chat messages and status messages (i.e.: someone killed someone, you picked up something) could be separated, and both displayed at the top in two diff. sections.  That way you'd always see the last three or so lines of chat, and the last 3 or so status messages.  (karx could still implement some key that would allow you to see a greater number of past messages, but it would mostly be rendered unnecessary.)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
bah, my stupid internet connection was offline again for no reason for the last several hours. :doubt: At least I got a $50 credit this time, after arguing with the Comcast CSR for a while. I'll be free for the next several nights as long as there are no further problems with this.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
We had a somwhat successful game, except for certain peoples mother's.

Offline simX

bah, my stupid internet connection was offline again for no reason for the last several hours. :doubt: At least I got a $50 credit this time, after arguing with the Comcast CSR for a while. I'll be free for the next several nights as long as there are no further problems with this.

Gah that sucks.  We have Comcast too where I live, out of necessity.  The only choice for cable is Comcast.  Similarly with DSL, you can only choose one provider.  And then the stupid FCC determined (or some court case or other) that cable providers don't need to open up their lines to competitors.  Arg.  We also have to pay $60/month.

Grrrr I hate Comcast so much.

</rant>

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, the only reason I'm still using Comcast is that I can't get anything else here aside from dialup. The service actually used to work well in the past, but in the last few weeks this has been happening every two or three days. They give me the same BS every time, that it's an area wide problem and will be repaired later the same day, which it usually is, but it then breaks again in a few hours. :rolleyes:

We had a somwhat successful game, except for certain peoples mother's.

:wtf: