Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 147668 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
There's a lot of problems tonight with hosting/connecting, and I'm going to need to be going now, anyway.  Perhaps Cobra can host some games for a while (since his games are visible and joinable for at least me and Simx).  I'll try real hard to host for a good few hours on the weekend, and hopefully we won't have the same problems.

Edit:  Sounds like some fun stuff with your mathematics education, CP.  I imagine number theory to be particularly interesting.  As for me, I'm currently I'm taking Calculus II with a guy who is in my opinion the most awesome professer/teacher I've ever had.  Never have I had so much fun and interest in math before I met him. :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 11:32:11 pm by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline simX

• D2X-XL Developer for the Mac
    • Technological Supernova
Re: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
I guess I can't be too tired for my math classes this semester since there are around 10 students in each one, so I couldn't fall asleep without being noticed. :p The analytic number theory one has an excellent professor who I know personally, but I don't know what the other two will be like. The remaining classes have around 150 students each, so there will be no problems there. :D

Honestly, having 10 students in the class never stopped me from falling asleep sometimes in my advanced math classes. :P  For me, it really depends on the professor, and unfortunately, math professors in particular have a tendency to fall towards the boring side of things.

By the way, simX, that quote in your signature...is that the same Ambrosia who made Maelstrom? I used to play that game religiously back around '93 on my Mac. I remember I had one crazy high score where I got to level 52.

Uh huh, that's the same one.  You can get a copy of the lastest here: works on Windows and Linux as well. :P

Back on topic, it appears that I am unable to join games with any levels that take a long time to load. Styx is one such level that, for whatever reason, takes over five times as long to load as most other levels if I play it in singleplayer.

That's rather weird.  Do you have the latest d2x-xl.hog file, taken from the Windows executable download?  (Modification date is August 14th.)

I imagine number theory to be particularly interesting.

Oh man, number theory is teh win!  So so interesting to learn about error-detecting and -correcting codes, and how public key encryption works and stuff like that.  It's also kinda cool to know how to decode bar codes, too. :)
"Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set." -- Andrew Welch, el Presidente, Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Honestly, having 10 students in the class never stopped me from falling asleep sometimes in my advanced math classes. :p For me, it really depends on the professor, and unfortunately, math professors in particular have a tendency to fall towards the boring side of things.

Tell me about it. :p I did a complex dynamics course last semester that has easily been the most fascinating class I have done so far, but the professor was a bore and had a very thick Russian accent that was difficult to understand. I find that reading the textbook is often much more rewarding than trying to follow things in class, unless the professor is exceptionally good.

As for analytic number theory, I'm somewhat familiar with the subject already but this class should still be very interesting. Number theory and complex analysis are both individually awesome, and the combination of the two is about as good as it gets. :D

Uh huh, that's the same one.  You can get a copy of the lastest here: works on Windows and Linux as well. :p

Yeah, I've played that recently. Never could get anywhere close to my old record though. :p

That's rather weird.  Do you have the latest d2x-xl.hog file, taken from the Windows executable download?  (Modification date is August 14th.)

Yes, I have that one. I have been getting this problem for a little while though. I think it's the same reason I often could not join the entropy and CTF games a few weeks ago.

Offline watsisname

Hosting again for a short while tonight (mainly for bug-searching).  Feel free to join in if you can.
Edit:  Game's are down now.  I'm thinking that we can have a major game-night either Thursday or Friday night.  Hope a bunch of people are able to join. :)
Tonight's games were pretty successful, with 4 players at one point. 

Highlight of the night came late at shakers castle, which I decided to fill *only* with mega missiles instead.  At one point, simx decided to poke fun at my wanting to sleep so that I wasn't tired for lecture in my next class, and I came at him and said "Lecture THIS!", and fired a mega at him.  He flies right past me, the Mega detonates in my face, and I recieve the suicide. :lol:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 03:00:11 am by watsisname »

Offline simX

Highlight of the night came late at shakers castle, which I decided to fill *only* with mega missiles instead.  At one point, simx decided to poke fun at my wanting to sleep so that I wasn't tired for lecture in my next class, and I came at him and said "Lecture THIS!", and fired a mega at him.  He flies right past me, the Mega detonates in my face, and I recieve the suicide. :lol:

Veni.  Vidi.  Splodi.

Hehehehe.
"Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set." -- Andrew Welch, el Presidente, Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you hosting one now? what mission you using?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline simX

you hosting one now? what mission you using?

Heya Nuke -- yeah, I am hosting one now.  Actually, karx and I just finally found the bug that was preventing Macs from hosting, so now I can host.  You can see it, and Aus and Zif have been able to connect, so it seems that I'm able to host successfully now.

I'm gonna try hosting a perpetual server and see how it goes.  Since everyone and their cat likes Hydrolysis Plant, I've set that up on my work computer.  If you can't host, you should be able to meet up and play in there.  It seems reasonably fast with not much lag, at least from what I can tell.  I'll try restarting it on a regular basis so that weapons don't build up, and if people want me to change maps periodically, I can do that as well.

Let me know what you guys think, if you can join, etc., any problems.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Highlight of the night came late at shakers castle, which I decided to fill *only* with mega missiles instead.  At one point, simx decided to poke fun at my wanting to sleep so that I wasn't tired for lecture in my next class, and I came at him and said "Lecture THIS!", and fired a mega at him.  He flies right past me, the Mega detonates in my face, and I recieve the suicide.

:lol: Wish I had been there. I sort of overslept last evening and didn't get up until 3:00 in the morning for some reason. :doubt:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
updated my exe and dled the mission, but im not seeing it. im gonna try tweaking my router some more, or just bypass it all together. i got 28342 open and all packets with that port are being forwarded to my computer. are there any other ports the game uses that i dont know about?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 06:21:33 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline simX

updated my exe and dled the mission, but im not seeing it. im gonna try tweaking my router some more, or just bypass it all together. i got 28342 open and all packets with that port are being forwarded to my computer. are there any other ports the game uses that i dont know about?

9424 for the tracker, but it really shouldn't matter unless you're hosting.  Worth a try, though, if you can't see my game.

Offline simX

So... anyone up for more Descenting tonight?

Offline watsisname

I'm joining in simx's game now, and if anyone else wants to play at another level, I'll host as well at another location. :)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i made it in but the game didnt last very long

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline watsisname

Nuke:  Yeah, some other people have been having those kinds of problems, too.  (Game crashing after some period of time, or the other players appear to disconnect and then the game becomes invisible, etc).  We're still not really sure what's causing it, but we're making progress. 
In the meantime, keep trying it, since it isn't a constant problem throughout each version of D2X-XL.  (I've had it before with one version, and then it went away with later ones). 

Hope to see you all again tonight. :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I should have a lot of time tonight, just need to make sure I don't sleep too long. I was at Brickfest the whole day (which by the way was some of the best fun I've had in a while; the things on display there are incredible) and I'm rather exhausted now. :D

Offline watsisname

Edit (again):  I'm not sure whether or not I'll host Sunday night, but I will at some point(s) this week, and I'll post here whenever I do. :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 01:30:19 am by watsisname »

Offline simX

For those times when watsisname is not available, I can probably host if I'm around.  I like to know who's going to play when I host, though, so post in here if you want to play. :)  I'll check back often.

Offline Music1an

• Trumpeter and pianist for life!
I'll be more than happy to play, just let me know when you're going to host  :)
Band kids rule

Offline AusRED5

There is a game hosted.

simX, just isn't in it right now. ;)

Offline Music1an

• Trumpeter and pianist for life!
Yeah i saw it about a minute ago.  I was gonna join but i wasnt sure with it having only 1 person in it...

simX, just isn't in it right now. ;)
Heh, had a feeling that'd be the case.
Oh and btw AUS, thx for the fantastic d2x-xl custom menus!  :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 01:36:15 pm by Music1an »
Band kids rule