Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 147900 times)

Offline AusRED5

Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Yeah... that lvl is a bit big for only 2 people really.

Need to host some smaller lvls when there is less people on.

Oh well.

See you guys in the mines!  ;)

Offline AusRED5

I'm hosting a smaller lvl now.

My "V3" lvl.

If you don't have it?

simX has hosted all my lvls here.

im getting 300 errors when i try to join on one of those maps. any ideas?

Offline AusRED5

im getting 300 errors when i try to join on one of those maps. any ideas?
With that much info? :doubt:

No clue dude!

Anyways.

Here is a screenshot of those who played "V3" with me duing the morning/afternoon/evening for some (5am for me).

I find it funny because everyone in the screenshot could see me but nobody was able to see each other!  :lol:

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Wow, our landlord FINALLY got us our internet connection. It was only supposed to be in a month ago. I'm back and ready for some D2 action, have most of the issues been resolved? I might even be able to host for hours on end again like we had in the past.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, we've been having games with 4+ players quite regularly (we were playing almost every day about two weeks ago). There are a few issues remaining but it works well for the most part. Is anyone else available tonight? I wouldn't mind getting a few games in before my college semester starts on Thursday.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I'll play, but I'll have to reinstall everything because of a format.  :(
I am a revolutionary.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
I find it funny because everyone in the screenshot could see me but nobody was able to see each other!  :lol:
Oh no - please say that's not true! :(

That means that for some reason the host didn't forward the client IPs+ports to all clients. Dang. If I only knew why this happens. :doubt:

Offline watsisname

I'm hosting for a short while tonight, so join if you can. :)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
argh. i've got all my ports forwarded and i can't keep a connection to anyone.

and no one will get back to me on the bug report i submitted! :hopping:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline simX

• D2X-XL Developer for the Mac
    • Technological Supernova
argh. i've got all my ports forwarded and i can't keep a connection to anyone.

and no one will get back to me on the bug report i submitted! :hopping:

Cobra: unfortunately, networking problems are the hardest to diagnose, because not only do people have different setups, but the problems don't always manifest themselves.  And when a problem isn't reproducible on the developer's end, it's not exactly easy to find where the problem is.  Often the best we can do is guess and hope for the best.  Both karx and I have seen your bug report -- did you check the link he posted in the report?  (i.e.: have you updated your D-Link router's firmware?)

karx: There's one player in particular, a friend of watsisname named Venin, that almost always is invisible to some or most players.  Maybe if we manage to get a game going with him, you can diagnose the problem?  I would attempt to do so myself but heck if I know what I'm doing. :rolleyes:
"Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set." -- Andrew Welch, el Presidente, Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i tried to get the firmware update but the link was a 404.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
karx: There's one player in particular, a friend of watsisname named Venin, that almost always is invisible to some or most players.  Maybe if we manage to get a game going with him, you can diagnose the problem?  I would attempt to do so myself but heck if I know what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

He was in the game we just played. I think it was the first time he was actually visible on my end. Although his ship seemed to freeze in place every now and then and weapon hits often didn't register, which I guess was some sort of lag effect.

Offline simX

He was in the game we just played. I think it was the first time he was actually visible on my end. Although his ship seemed to freeze in place every now and then and weapon hits often didn't register, which I guess was some sort of lag effect.

Yeah, I noticed.  Actually, it was quite weird because that was one of the rare times when he appeared disconnected to me, even though I could see he was still racking up kills.  Usually I can see him all the time, but he can't see me, and he's invulnerable to me.
"Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set." -- Andrew Welch, el Presidente, Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Cobra,

you got a reply for your bug report. Apparently you haven't been trying very hard to get a firmware update though. It's in your own interest to apply one if it exists and hunt it down if it can be found. We do not have to serve everything to you on a silver dish. ;)

I think I will have to put specific networking logging into D2X-XL to find out why people are invisible or invulnerable to others. This is a biotch of a problem.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 07:51:21 am by karx11erx »

Offline watsisname

I will try getting another game going tonight, probably starting between 11pm and midnight (EST).  I'll also *try* getting Venin to play, if that will help shed some light on the player-invisibility bug.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline simX

Cobra:  I have a possible idea as to why you are getting dropped connections.  I remember that you were previously able to play without problems -- have you recently turned on "Improve UDP/IP Networking Quality" in Configure --> Miscellaneous?  If so, turn it off, and see if you still have connection problems.

I remember turning this on one day, and then the very next time I tried to play a netgame I would experience the same issues as you did -- I would get dropped after 5 or 10 minutes of play.  Once I turned this option back off, everything returned to normal.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:10:13 pm by simX »

Offline simX

Re: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
So I'm gonna host a game now, if anyone wants to join.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Is anyone free during the next three nights? I'm going to be quite busy after this weekend and probably won't have much time for long game sessions until the end of the year, so it would be nice to have a few games. :)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I'm free, any server capable people (hell, I might try putting my Mom's comp on the DMZ)