Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 147744 times)

Offline Music1an

• Trumpeter and pianist for life!
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Unfortunately, I am unable to get descent 3 working on my computer :mad:.  Im still trying to figure it out, but I don't think I'll be able to be there tonight!  Hope you guys have lots of fun!!
Guh, sorry to hear that. :( Maybe we should start tonight off with D2 again for a bit so everyone can meet, and then we'll host D3 after a little bit of that?  That way you can at least enjoy a bit of play. :)

BTW, hosting (either D2 or D3) will begin at about 11:00pm EST.

No, that's fine (don't think I'll be able to stay up late anyway ::))  I'll probably be able to tomorrow though (just post if there will be a game earlier than, say, 10 pm EST). Hope you guys have fun!!
Band kids rule

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Whatsisname's game is up, D2XL

Offline watsisname

Sorry guys, doesn't look like TCP/IP connections are working with me.  Does anyone else who was able to host D2 via direct connection want to try it with D3?
Oh, and D2 is back up again.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You may need to add D3's port to your router's forwarding list. I don't remember what it is though.

Offline simX

• D2X-XL Developer for the Mac
    • Technological Supernova
You may need to add D3's port to your router's forwarding list. I don't remember what it is though.

Looks like it is 2092.
"Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set." -- Andrew Welch, el Presidente, Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Offline watsisname

Was fun times again tonight, both in D2 and the later D3.  It'd be awesome if we could get more people playing that as well, maybe with some entropy and stuff. :D

CP & Mars:  my compy crashed at around 3am, and rather than rejoining I just decided to call it a night.  I'd love to play again later, maybe tonight or Sunday night depending on CP's schedule. :)

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
I'm constantly amazed by th' progress ye an' Karx are makin' with D2X-XL.  :)

Well, to be honest, karx does most of the fixing.  I just sit at my compy in the debugger and report the values of various variables he asks about.  :P  But the Mac version seems to bring to the surface an inordinate number of networking bugs; either that, or I'm just really picky sometimes.  ;)
You definitely should not underestimate the value of your help.  It is way easier to fix particularly networking bugs with you sitting at the other end of a connection and patiently following directions fer testing for hours and hours.  :) If it hadn't been for your perseverance, D2X-XL would not be where it is now; most of all ofc the Mac version, but also the others.  ;)

Btw, 1.6.193 available with more (powerup multiplication related) networking bugs fixed.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 07:34:08 am by karx11erx »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
CP & Mars:  my compy crashed at around 3am, and rather than rejoining I just decided to call it a night.  I'd love to play again later, maybe tonight or Sunday night depending on CP's schedule.

I had to leave soon after that point anyway. If we can get four players, a monsterball game simply has to go on the schedule. :D

However, my onboard network controller apparently died just after I closed down my D3 game. :wtf: It doesn't seem to work at all anymore, no matter what I try with it. The motherboard has another one, but I can't imagine what happened with this or how D3 could have caused it. I'll see if I can get it sorted out later today, since I think this other one is a bit slower.

Offline watsisname

I'll be hosting D2 again tonight for a little while.  Game should be up now. :)
Edit:  Well, two weird things are happening.  First of all, it seems that nobody else can hit me with secondary weapons with the exception of concussion missiles.  I don't even see them get launched from other players from my end. :confused:  Got a bug report of it down. 
Other thing is a consistancy error, but I'll try fixing that later.  Maybe someone else can host until then.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:20:33 pm by watsisname »

Offline Music1an

• Trumpeter and pianist for life!
Ok guys, i got D3 working :D! Hopefully we can get a game together sometime soon!
Band kids rule

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'll be hosting D2 again tonight for a little while.  Game should be up now. :)
Edit:  Well, two weird things are happening.  First of all, it seems that nobody else can hit me with secondary weapons with the exception of concussion missiles.  I don't even see them get launched from other players from my end. :confused:  Got a bug report of it down. 
Other thing is a consistancy error, but I'll try fixing that later.  Maybe someone else can host until then.

I checked around 12:15 but couldn't see your game. I guess I just missed it.

I'll be free tonight if anyone wants to play either D2 or D3.

[edit] yay, 8000 posts. :D

Offline watsisname

Hosting D2 now, level is "Booyah", available from www.descent2.de.
Edit:  Wasn't a too much action tonight, just a couple 1vs1's.  Perhaps we can get another big game going later this week/weekend. :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 11:39:16 pm by watsisname »

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
it seems wot nobody else can hit me with secondary weapons with th' exception o' concussion missiles.  I don't even see them get launched from other players from me end.  :confused:  Got a bug report o' it down. 
D'uh - wot's a bug introduced by me new excess powerup cappin' code.  Fixin' already.  As I wrote on descentbb.net: There may have been bugs introduced by wot code change, avast.  Fixed another bug makin' powerups disappear permanenly last night, too.

Please note wot bug reports have t' be issued via th' bug tracker o' th' D2X-XL project on SourceForge.net, by Davy Jones's locker.  ;)

Wut da hell is messen' with ma' doubloons, yer, by Blackbeard's sword?  :P

Gack, pirate slang!  :D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 07:36:21 am by karx11erx »

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
CP & Mars:  me compy crashed at aroun' 3am, an' rather than rejoinin' I just decided t' call it a night.  I'd love t' play again later, maybe tonight or Sunday night dependin' on CP's schedule. 

I had t' leave soon after wot point anyway.  And swab the deck!  If we can get four players, a monsterball game simply has t' go on th' schedule.  :D

However, me onboard network controller apparently died just after I closed down me D3 game, I'll warrant ye.  :shiver me timbers: It doesn't seem t' work at all anymore, nay matter what I try with it.  The motherboard has another one, but I can't imagine what happened with this 'ere or how D3 could have caused it.  I'll see if I can get it sorted out later today, since I think this 'ere other one is a bit slower.

See, I told ya: D3 sux!  :D

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Good news everyone, I picked up a copy of D3 from a friend! If D3 games are happening, I'll install it. What will I need in the way of patches, etc?
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Go ahead and install it... I can't imagine its ripping up netcards to be a standard occurance.

You'll want the 1.4 patch from Descent3.com, the no CD patch works too.

Offline watsisname

I'll be free on Friday/Saturday night for d2 and/or d3, and I *might* host on Thursday night as well sometime around midnight EST.  I'll post here with details then.
Err, I mean... Drink up me hearties, yo ho! Load ye cannons an' prime ye missiles, mates!  We goin shootin soon! :D

Offline simX

Hey guys, guess what?  Soon we'll be able to play Monsterball in D2X-XL!  Wooo! :D
"Some people's minds are like cement: all mixed up and permanently set." -- Andrew Welch, el Presidente, Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Monsterball is available now. I have found the ball to be a bit 'sticky' to player ships at times, and ofc it needs testing. But the first tests in a 2 player setup on a LAN worked.

Offline simX

Heh heh heh, can you say, "Monsterball on Get 3D"? :D