Author Topic: Screenshots! Screenshots!  (Read 23652 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Screenshots! Screenshots!
How is this feature coded?  I don't see why you'd need two separate lists if it's in a decent scripting language like PHP or something, just filter out the first value before the second pull, or keep trying until you get a different value.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
AFAIK, it was a direct copy and paste off the mediawiki wiki and into our wiki's PHP. Fiddling with it, expecially since it'd involve getting an admin to do it, is probably more work than a 1 in 2000 chance requires. Again, upload more screenshots and the issue will diminish into insignificance.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
if my maths is right

It's not :p The odds of having both be the same as a specific image is 1 in 46*46, but the odds of two images being the same as each other is 1 in 46. Which is much more common.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Bugger, you're right.

Erm... well, I know nothing about coding a fix, so if anyone wants to do that they're welcome, but I'm not keen on having two separate lists (as it'll get messy to maintain) and, TBH, even at 1/46 it's not going to be a common occurence... do people think this is going to be a really major issue?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So if it's in PHP, I have a feeling I could make a quick edit to it to fix the issue.  I'd just need to see the code you inserted.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
As a side note, I could use a little help in expanding the gallery over at F2S too. Most of the screenshots we have there are archives from the original F2S site. That includes renders, retail screenshots (before SCP), some wallpapers and stuff like that. If anyone is going to be adding stuff to the Wiki screenshots, then throw those screenshots my way too. We are accepting anything tbh.
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's a 1 in 46 chance. Let's say you have n pictures. Pick one, there will be a 1 in n chance that the other picture will be identical to it.

That said, I agree that I can live with a 1 in 300 chance of this happening. I'll see about getting some Diaspora shots into the rotation. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Or just, you know, let me fix the PHP like I said I could :P

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Or just, you know, let me fix the PHP like I said I could :P
:yes:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, let's see what you can do. :)

Rename attachment to php.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Maybe give this a shot, completely untested since I don't have a wiki to try it on.  Could possibly get caught in an infinite loop but I'm betting it won't.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Uploaded.

EDIT: And it white-screened.  This has happened to me in the past, and it always indicates a syntax error. ;)  I've restored the old version.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:20:39 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Like I said, I didn't even have a way to test it.  Any chance I could get the error log from right after the whitescreen happens?  The server is configured to dump php errors to a log somewhere correct?  Otherwise I'm gonna have to look at this by hand which might take a little while, or at least take my changed code and put it through a lint filter.

Actually, I ran that file through php -l to check for syntax errors, there don't appear to be any.  It's likely either caught in a loop like I was afraid of or performing some other illegal operation after parsing, which I can't really reproduce.  I'll need to log to figure it out almost definitely.

Offline Nx

The easiest way to do this would be with DPL (MediaWiki.org link: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:DPL). It could be set up to pull two random screenshots from a given category, so you don't have to give them fancy names or edit the code after you upload a screenshot. Maybe it's a bit overkill though
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Durr... I don't know where the logs go.  I'd have to check.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

Its still happening.

No I wasn't refreshing just to get this. I open the wiki and I see this. I just opened it and I saw this. Coincidentally, I instantly forgot what I was going to do because it bothers me. :(
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
It will always happen. Now and forever.

[EDIT]To clarify: There can never be enough images to eliminate the statistical likelihood of the exact same two images to show up. It will happen from time to time.

[EDIT]2. Hey - Why don't we put the images with paired numbers to the left and impaired ones to the right?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:08:16 pm by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Nx

Well, you can either do as I said a few months ago or you can do it the hard way (although that is incredibly slow because the choose tag evaluates the second template inclusion in every option tag. I have made a modified version of the randomselection template extension that doesn't do that, and so is much faster.)

edit: brainfart
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:23:08 pm by Nx »
WikiModel dumpGTVA logo

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Its still happening.
Yup.  Read a few posts up... I tried uploading chief's fix, but it caused the wiki to stop working, so I removed it. :)

I'll have a look at Nx's version.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
[EDIT]2. Hey - Why don't we put the images with paired numbers to the left and impaired ones to the right?

Better idea: odd numbered ones on the right, even numbered ones on the left.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...